Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Game Thread: Twins vs White Sox 5/26/19 1:10 PM CDT

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#1 Dave The Dastardly

Dave The Dastardly

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 513 posts
  • LocationOne Foot Over the Line

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:01 AM

Memorial Day Weekend

My dad, “Ten-Cent” Harry and Gib “The Mutilator” took me and two of my brothers and two of the Mutilator’s boys to our first Twins game at Metropolitan Stadium way back in 1961. “Ten Cent”, who’d acquired his nickname by always betting ten cents whether he had a good poker hand or not, was one of my many uncles and “The Mutilator” was one of my dad’s WWII Army cronies. He’d gotten his nickname because of his penchant for mutilating the English language.

The eight of us packed into the Mutilator’s 2-door Ford and made the two-hour drive to the Met, us young’uns bouncing around like pinballs in the back seat, seat belts hadn’t been invented yet, repeatedly smacking our baseball gloves and loudly arguing over which of us would be the first to snag a homerun ball.

The Mutilator was lucky he’d served in the artillery because that made him a little hard of hearing so he wasn’t bothered by the backseat noise. Ten Cent, a railroad man accustomed to hearing that lonesome whistle blow, was also a little short on decibels, but the Old Man… well, he’d been wounded at the Bulge coming to rescue the 101st Airborne and though he’d heard plenty of explosions directed at him during the war there was nothing wrong with his hearing. He could hear a kid coughing up a flight of stairs, down a hallway and through a closed bedroom door. I could tell the commotion from the backseat was making the Old Man edgy but he never told us to quiet down and behave as he normally would have.

We somehow made it to the stadium without any kid getting gagged, tied down or chucked out the window.

We had left field bleacher seats, and the cost for those had been hard enough for my dad to swing as he had seven mouths to feed on a mailman’s salary, but I took off after a couple of innings along with my shadow, the Great Goose, a year younger than me. We were playing the White Sox and I wanted to see my two favorite infielders, Nellie Fox and Luis Aparicio, as up close as I could get and the view wasn’t that great midway up in the left field bleachers. I played shortstop, like Aparicio, and used a Nellie Fox bat so these guys were like my baseball heroes and I at least wanted to see their faces. So we took off to get a better view of the infield and wound up sitting right behind home plate for an inning or two until the ushers asked to see our tickets. Being small town boys we thought an empty seat was just something waiting to be occupied. Couldn’t understand why the ushers wanted to keep those empty seats empty.

Somewhat chastened, my brother and I drifted back to the left field bleachers to sit with our dad, just in time to see Bob Allison (might have been Jim Lemon) put a ball into the seats just a few rows short of where we were sitting. None of us got the ball.

Never forgot that day. And it wasn’t until I was a father myself and took my son to his first Twins game that I suddenly gained an appreciation for what my dad had put up with just to get his boys to a professional baseball game.

That’s what I remember on Memorial Day. And that’s one of the reasons why I love baseball.

Today’s Pitching Matchup

For the Twins: Jake “The Skunk” Odorizzi 6-2  ERA  2.38 52 K will be trying to add to his shutout innings streak.

For the Sox: Dylan “The Dead Man” Covey 0-3  5.31 ERA 7 K will be trying not to cough up a half dozen homers to the homerun happy Twins.

• ashbury, USAFChief, glunn and 10 others like this

#2 Diesel

Diesel

Ft Myers Miracle

• 252 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:57 AM

Great game thread opener!
  • ashbury, USAFChief, glunn and 2 others like this

#3 LVTwinsfan

LVTwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,078 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 26 May 2019 - 09:29 AM

The Twins Ace on the hill today
  • ashbury likes this

You know horses are smarter than people. You never heard of a horse going broke betting on people.  - Will Rogers

#4 TheMatt

TheMatt

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 60 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 09:59 AM

Why are they giving Sano so many days off?
  • ashbury, glunn and operation mindcrime like this

#5 james2334

james2334

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 64 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:31 AM

I think Rocco is still experimenting with line-ups, trying to find something that works. You know because 10 runs a game just aren't enough. 

• ashbury, glunn, Blake and 4 others like this

#6 LVTwinsfan

LVTwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,078 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:39 AM

get used to it. I believe giving “everyday” players days off is soon to be the norm for all teams.
  • glunn and Joe A. Preusser like this

You know horses are smarter than people. You never heard of a horse going broke betting on people.  - Will Rogers

#7 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,255 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:48 AM

Great opener!
  • USAFChief, glunn and Circus Boy like this

#8 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,255 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:50 AM

Gonna have to pass on the amazing grace for the moment, maybe get inctge right mood in a little bit ..if you know what I mean :)

#9 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,255 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:50 AM

So, if “Ten Cent” is your uncle, does that make 50 Cent your cousin? :)

052714_nym_50_cent_first_pitch_tw_1_ifwa

Edited by Hosken Bombo Disco, 26 May 2019 - 10:53 AM.

• USAFChief, glunn, Blake and 5 others like this

#10 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• 1,315 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:59 AM

Just went to Tractor Supply and got a new broom. You can guess the rest.
  • ashbury, glunn, IndianaTwin and 2 others like this

#11 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,089 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 11:18 AM

I’ll be at the game today, seats on the 3rd base line. First game of the year for us. My dad’s got a Astudillo shirt on that I got him, and I’m happy to see Tortuga is in the lineup.
  • SQUIRREL, ashbury, glunn and 4 others like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#12 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,186 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 11:22 AM

I spent the last two hours looking for shoes ... anyone have experience with Nike Zoom Fly running shoes?

• glunn and operation mindcrime like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#13 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,186 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 11:25 AM

Oh, and here are the lineups:

CHICAGO

Charlie Tilson(L) CF
Yoan Moncada(S) 3B
Jose Abreu(R ) DH
Yonder Alonso(L) 1B
Eloy Jimenez(R ) LF
Jose Rondon(R ) SS
Yolmer Sanchez(S) 2B
Seby Zavala(R ) C
Ryan Cordell(R ) RF

Dylan Covey(R ) P

TWINS

Max Kepler(L) RF
Jorge Polanco(S) SS
Marwin Gonzalez(S) LF
Eddie Rosario(L) DH
C.J. Cron(R ) 1B
Luis Arraez(L) 2B
Willians Astudillo(R ) 3B
Jason Castro(L) C
Byron Buxton(R ) CF

Jake Odorizzi(R ) P

• glunn and operation mindcrime like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#14 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,284 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 26 May 2019 - 11:55 AM

I’ll be at the game today, seats on the 3rd base line. First game of the year for us. My dad’s got a Astudillo shirt on that I got him, and I’m happy to see Tortuga is in the lineup.

Wave to us.

• glunn, Danchat and operation mindcrime like this

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#15 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,047 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:18 PM

So far, through 10 games, both Odo and Pineda have pitched 53 innings. Would like to see Jake go 6 or more today.

• ashbury and glunn like this

#16 Fargoguy

Fargoguy

Elizabethton Twins

• 39 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:23 PM

I gotta get to Target Field. Everyone looks like they are having so much fun!
  • ashbury, glunn, Hosken Bombo Disco and 2 others like this

#17 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,255 posts

0-0, going into bottom of 1st

I feel like we have already have won this game 12-3 or thereabouts :)
  • ashbury, glunn, IndianaTwin and 1 other like this

#18 snotboogie

snotboogie

Ft Myers Miracle

• 402 posts
  • Location3 miles from Twins World Domination Headquarters

You've got a stunningly beautiful day.  Enjoy.  

• ashbury and glunn like this

"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."

#19 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• 1,727 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:27 PM

Great opener!

Yes, indeed! A wonderful memory made better because just about all of us have done the same. (For me, July 22, 1967, at Tiger Stadium vs Yankees. Mickey Mantle hit a solo HR in the third off Earl Wilson, but Norm Cash hit a grandslam later and the Tigers won 11-4.)

• ashbury, glunn, Hosken Bombo Disco and 1 other like this

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish saying

"Good thing you married my daughter, because you've got no skills and you're not too smart." -- Circus Boy's father-in-law

#20 Fargoguy

Fargoguy

Elizabethton Twins

• 39 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:32 PM

Twins team slugging percentage is .520.

62 players have/had higher career slugging percentages. Most of them are HOF sluggers.

https://www.baseball...rc_career.shtml

Nelson Cruz isn't one of them. His is .518.
  • ashbury, glunn, PDX Twin and 1 other like this