Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Injuries Have Been Huge, Unfortunate Story of Twins Minor League Season

wander javier stephen gonsalves akil baddoo luke raley brusdar graterol
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,412 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:44 AM

Excited to see Javier back in action.But all the rest is just plain sickening, Seth.With Graterol sidelined, looks like Balazovic is now our top gun of those pitching every five days.

One name you didn't mention, Seth, is Jax.Is he expected to be out longer than a few weeks? 

#22 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Ft Myers Miracle

• 317 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:54 AM

One big minor league story is Royce Lewis.Through 46 games, batting at .223 with an OPS of just .615. He has One HR. He has 5 errors. Are the Twins blaming injuries?  

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,646 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:56 AM

Excited to see Javier back in action.But all the rest is just plain sickening, Seth.With Graterol sidelined, looks like Balazovic is now our top gun of those pitching every five days.

One name you didn't mention, Seth, is Jax.Is he expected to be out longer than a few weeks? 

All I've heard is the Jax was IL'd with a strained shoulder... but apparently he is traveling with the team, so it sounds more like it'd be a skipped start than anything too worrisome... but I may be reading between the lines too much.

#24 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,646 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:57 AM

One big minor league story is Royce Lewis.Through 46 games, batting at .223 with an OPS of just .615. He has One HR. He has 5 errors. Are the Twins blaming injuries?  

Neither the Twins nor Royce are blaming injuries. 

#25 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,412 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 04:17 PM

All I've heard is the Jax was IL'd with a strained shoulder... but apparently he is traveling with the team, so it sounds more like it'd be a skipped start than anything too worrisome... but I may be reading between the lines too much.

Great news, Seth.Thanks!

#26 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,259 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:22 AM

Hopefully it's just the 'Chicken Little' side of me, but when I see "shoulder injury" and "pitcher" in the same sentence, I can't help but think, best of luck in whatever you replace baseball with young man.

From what I understand, shoulder injuries in pitchers in general are recoverable with proper rehab/rest... there are certain shoulder injuries (such as a torn labrum) that fall into that category. Hopefully this is just a minor setback.

#27 Heezy1323

Heezy1323

• 156 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 May 2019 - 12:10 PM

From what I understand, shoulder injuries in pitchers in general are recoverable with proper rehab/rest... there are certain shoulder injuries (such as a torn labrum) that fall into that category. Hopefully this is just a minor setback.

This is a complicated area, but generally yes, a substantial trial of non-surgical treatment is tried prior to proceeding with shoulder surgery. This is, in part, due to the fact that conservative treatment often works. It's also due, in part, to the fact that the return to play rates after shoulder surgery in pitchers are... suboptimal. 

• SQUIRREL, diehardtwinsfan and Craig Arko like this

#28 Heezy1323

Heezy1323

• 156 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 May 2019 - 12:22 PM

I apologize that I haven't been very active on TD thus far this season. One good reason is that the number of injuries (and severity of those that have occurred) has been fairly low. Unfortunately, with this news there are a few things people may have questions about. 

As such, I'd like to do an informal poll. I'm happy to do a blog post about a topic, but not sure I have the time this week to tackle multiple posts. (Can certainly do additional posts in the future... but we are closing on a new home this week and in preparations for our move)

The options would be:

1. What does 'shoulder impingement' in a baseball player mean?

2. What is a 'stress reaction' in the elbow of a pitcher?

3. Tommy John surgery in position players...

4. Other (open to alternate suggestions)

If people generally don't have a preference, I can choose one also. 

Hope everyone has had a great Memorial Day Weekend!

• SQUIRREL, nicksaviking, Craig Arko and 1 other like this

#29 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,132 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 12:48 PM

I apologize that I haven't been very active on TD thus far this season. One good reason is that the number of injuries (and severity of those that have occurred) has been fairly low. Unfortunately, with this news there are a few things people may have questions about. 

As such, I'd like to do an informal poll. I'm happy to do a blog post about a topic, but not sure I have the time this week to tackle multiple posts. (Can certainly do additional posts in the future... but we are closing on a new home this week and in preparations for our move)

The options would be:

Anything you can add, whenever you can add it, is all good.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#30 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,259 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 27 May 2019 - 03:42 PM

The options would be:

I would read any of these... 1 is probably the one I'd be most interested in mainly b/c it's Graterol… but I'd read any of them. 

#31 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,236 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 03:58 PM

As long as you are offering... :)

I’m also most interested in #1

#32 Heezy1323

Heezy1323

• 156 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:04 PM

#1 it is... gimme a bit

#33 twins_89

twins_89

Ft Myers Miracle

• 373 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 05:04 PM

With Gonsalves out for a while, I'm wondering if it's time to put Romero back in the AAA rotation. He hasn't found success in a bullpen role and I'd really like to see him have one more chance as a starter. Plus, I'm not particularly excited about our current options if the Twins need to call up a starter, so if Romero got stretched out he could be first in line to fill an opening in the major league rotation.

• 70charger likes this

#34 Heezy1323

Heezy1323

• 156 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 May 2019 - 06:33 PM

Here ya go... hopefully it doesn't put you to sleep  :)

http://twinsdaily.co...impingement-qa/

• ashbury, diehardtwinsfan, nicksaviking and 2 others like this

#35 Heezy1323

Heezy1323

• 156 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 May 2019 - 06:38 PM

I would read any of these... 1 is probably the one I'd be most interested in mainly b/c it's Graterol… but I'd read any of them. 

Hope you find it informative. Feel free to let me know if there are things that aren't clear- I can do my best to explain further. 

• Mike Sixel and nicksaviking like this

#36 Heezy1323

Heezy1323

• 156 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 May 2019 - 06:44 PM

Anything you can add, whenever you can add it, is all good.

Hope you enjoy.

#37 laloesch

laloesch

• 1,811 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:43 AM

With Gonsalves out for a while, I'm wondering if it's time to put Romero back in the AAA rotation. He hasn't found success in a bullpen role and I'd really like to see him have one more chance as a starter. Plus, I'm not particularly excited about our current options if the Twins need to call up a starter, so if Romero got stretched out he could be first in line to fill an opening in the major league rotation.

That would seem to be the logical next step.I never was a fan of Gonsalves from what i saw of him.Romero has better stuff, just needs refinement. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wander javier, stephen gonsalves, akil baddoo, luke raley, brusdar graterol