Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 11, CWS 4: Twins Make Home Run History

eddie rosario max kepler miguel sano jose berrios
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 BJames

BJames

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:55 AM

Maybe this should be the start of a different thread.I was so glad to see Littell get his two innings in with out falling apart. We all saw Berrios struggles (and he was a top rated pitcher) with his call-ups and how long it took him to adjust to the Bigs Hitters.I hope as the year goes on we'll be able to do the same with Thorpe, Romero, Stewart, Gonsalves,Eades and Reed.It seems to me, the more these young guys get innings in (better under low stress situations) the quicker they will be able to adapt (or not) so we will be in a better place with the wholeof the pitching staff come Sept.One more thing, I like to see May go back to AAA, to build some confidence and throw strike after strike.Seem he's trying to learn on the job and it;s not working. 

• ashbury likes this

#22 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:57 AM

The replay from behind home plate of Buxton's double was interesting.It showed a very hard hit ball going to the center fielder on three hops.The fielder picked it up cleanly and began his throwing motion when Buxton appears on the screen starting his slide into second.Did he skip running to first?No one can be that fast.Impressive.

Yeah, and it looked like his head-first "slide" was from a starting platform in an Olympic pool, and he did the last 20 feet of the double through the air and then sliding on his belly.That was an incredible finish to that run.

Replay of the hit from my living room:

Ball takes second hop in outfield

Big Dog says to Mrs Big Dog "That's a double"

Screen shows Buxton doing Superman dive/slide into second

Big Dog giggles uncontrollably

Steve Stone says "For any other player in the majors, that's a single, but it's a double for Buxton"

Big Dog rewinds DVR to show slide to Mrs Big Dog.Three times.

• ashbury, Riverbrian, Dman and 3 others like this

#23 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,825 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:03 AM

Yeah, and it looked like his head-first "slide" was from a starting platform in an Olympic pool, and he did the last 20 feet of the double through the air and then sliding on his belly.That was an incredible finish to that run.

Steve Stone says "For any other player in the majors, that's a single, but it's a double for Buxton"

According to the Baseball Bill of Rights... That ball had no right to be a double. 

• ashbury, big dog, Dman and 3 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#24 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• Members
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:31 AM

One of the lessons from last night for other teams is that if you dare to take a lead against the Twins, all you're going to do is make them mad.
  • ashbury, Riverbrian, USNMCPO and 3 others like this

#25 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:11 AM

It's been great. I love the fact that they called up Littel instead of Stewart.

#26 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:33 AM

Average 6 wins every 10 games. You will win 97 games. 

Average 5 wins every 10 games. You will win 81 games. 

Average 4 wins every 10 games. You will win 65 games. 

Average 6.8 wins every 10 games. You will win 110 games. 

What's amazing is the consistency with no ten game period with less than 6 wins.

#27 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:24 AM

D.J Khalid's Hot Take:

...And anotha one!

(thats for the kids on TD if there are any :)

Get off my virtual lawn! [goes back to watching Seinfeld on DVD]

#28 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,186 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:40 AM

Average 6 wins every 10 games. You will win 97 games. 

Average 5 wins every 10 games. You will win 81 games. 

Average 4 wins every 10 games. You will win 65 games. 

Average 6.8 wins every 10 games. You will win 110 games. 

5984905_keep_calm_its_just_math.png

• Riverbrian and D.C Twins like this

I don't have to tell you it goes without saying there are some things better left unsaid. I think that speaks for itself. The less said about it, the better. -- George Carlin

#29 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,186 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:41 AM

According to the Baseball Bill of Rights... That ball had no right to be a double. 

Ditto for the one Tim Anderson hit in the second inning. :)

• Riverbrian and jkcarew like this

I don't have to tell you it goes without saying there are some things better left unsaid. I think that speaks for itself. The less said about it, the better. -- George Carlin

#30 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,186 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:44 AM

The beautiful part, to me, was this: my attention was split between TV and keyboard, taking part in the game thread. Buxton gets a double, which I watched out of the corner of my eye while typing something. Nice. Good for him. Wait... how was that a double? The dawning realization as I turned to watch the replay meant that this is basically routine for him.

In this aspect of the game, just as with tracking the ball on defense, it's the cliche where he has come down from a higher league. He has great instincts/experience with these, which is why it's so baffling that he has had trouble with low breaking pitches for so long.

#31 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:00 AM

Refreshing to see how Littell finished the game. Good for him.

Berrios is having a strange year, IMO. Giving up hits at a materially higher rate than last year...and striking out fewer hitter. But the extra hits must be mostly singles as the HR rate hasn't increased. And he's making up for the extra hits with a significantly lower BB rate. My take is, that he often hasn't had great control of his curve ball, and is determined to challenge hitters in the strike zone with fastballs rather than give up walks. He might be a small adjustment from being better than we've ever seen him. He strikes me as a bit of a throw-back...where he doesn't care what his numbers are or what he looks like, as long as his team gets the W. I like that.

Edited by jkcarew, 25 May 2019 - 10:00 AM.

• Dman and TribeAZ13 like this

#32 TribeAZ13

TribeAZ13

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:50 PM

Tribe fan here thru n thru.. u guys have been REMARKABLE this season...my indians front office like most tribe fans, were disgusted at how utterly cheap and non committed to winning the brass was in the off season.We actually had a legit 2 year window to win a WS with our dominant pitching.But you let Brantley, (a fan favorite, and class act) not to mention a top 5 lefty in the game for half a decade now, just walk bc u wont pay him a measly 12-13 Million???so now he joins HOU and is mvp caliber as expected. the indians ignorance that the central would still be a cakewalk is now showing the foolishness of ownership.. the central is trash with detroit, KC, Chi, sure..but to not see what you guys were doing, and expecting the twinkies to just roll over; indians are getting what they deserve.Now,I do expect Minny to cool off at some point, and if Cleveland ever starts hitting, we will have a great 2 team race all the way thru the season... But congrats to u guys, ur great fans and if u do overtake us this season u earned it...Love the organization and the classy twin fans...cheers..Happy Memorial day from a retired OIF Marine and thank u to those who gave the ultimte sacrifice!cheers

• Carole Keller, USAFChief, Riverbrian and 2 others like this

#33 TribeAZ13

TribeAZ13

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:52 PM

Uhh, I was NOT told there would be math involved!lol

• ashbury likes this

#34 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 04:06 PM

To TribeAZ13, thanks for the love. I'm a huge Francona fan. After watching him lead the Red Sox to WS wins in 2004 and 2007 and listening to his radio show stuff, I though he did a great job and then getting dumped was a bad move on the Sox part.

I knew when the Indians signed him they would be much improved. But I gotta tell ya, after the last few years of getting Kluber-ed, Santana-ed and Carrassco-ed, I don't mind seeing chief wahoo in the rear view mirror.

• TribeAZ13 likes this

#35 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,825 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 26 May 2019 - 05:16 PM

Tribe fan here thru n thru.. u guys have been REMARKABLE this season...my indians front office like most tribe fans, were disgusted at how utterly cheap and non committed to winning the brass was in the off season.We actually had a legit 2 year window to win a WS with our dominant pitching.But you let Brantley, (a fan favorite, and class act) not to mention a top 5 lefty in the game for half a decade now, just walk bc u wont pay him a measly 12-13 Million???so now he joins HOU and is mvp caliber as expected. the indians ignorance that the central would still be a cakewalk is now showing the foolishness of ownership.. the central is trash with detroit, KC, Chi, sure..but to not see what you guys were doing, and expecting the twinkies to just roll over; indians are getting what they deserve.Now,I do expect Minny to cool off at some point, and if Cleveland ever starts hitting, we will have a great 2 team race all the way thru the season... But congrats to u guys, ur great fans and if u do overtake us this season u earned it...Love the organization and the classy twin fans...cheers..Happy Memorial day from a retired OIF Marine and thank u to those who gave the ultimte sacrifice!cheers

People like you make it hard to hate the Indians.:)

• TribeAZ13 likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#36 TribeAZ13

TribeAZ13

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 12:23 PM

To TribeAZ13, thanks for the love. I'm a huge Francona fan. After watching him lead the Red Sox to WS wins in 2004 and 2007 and listening to his radio show stuff, I though he did a great job and then getting dumped was a bad move on the Sox part.

I knew when the Indians signed him they would be much improved. But I gotta tell ya, after the last few years of getting Kluber-ed, Santana-ed and Carrassco-ed, I don't mind seeing chief wahoo in the rear view mirror.

lol, ive always been a secondary twinkies fan..class org.we tribe fans are frustrated bc in NO WAY was our window closed but ownership is a disgrace and wont spend..u let Brantley walk bc u wont pay him 12 mil a yr?? hes one of the best all around lefties in baseball...and has been. u trade Yandy Diaz for trash, and the list goes on. Indians will compete all yr, this im confident in, but we dont have the offense to catch u guys and its only 50 games in i realize, but still.. if our staff gets healthy, were still competing, esp with francona as u said, but its frustrating.. u guys deserve it tho...hate detroit, and sox and kc are trash obvi lol...best of luck bro

#37 TribeAZ13

TribeAZ13

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 12:34 PM

People like you make it hard to hate the Indians.:)

thanks man! i appreciate the love!Happy Memorial Day

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eddie rosario, max kepler, miguel sano, jose berrios