Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/24): 2018 Top Draftees Shine in Rough Night Across the System

ryan jeffers trevor larnach tyler palm
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 D.C Twins

D.C Twins

Ft Myers Miracle

• 392 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:23 AM

I have no idea what he'll be... maybe... maybe not. I expect he'll play in the FSL All Star game and then move up to AA. 

Whoa! If he makes the All Star game with his current numbers, he is simply getting a pass as the former number 1 pick.... If he is promoted with his current numbers that is sending a very bad message to the other players in the organization.

I agree that eventually he will figure things out, but I also think that transcendent players (which we all hope he will be) do not generally struggle to this extent and for this long at A.

I personally think (hope) he is nursing an injury, and if so, the organization makes him sit out a few weeks to get healthy.

#22 D.C Twins

D.C Twins

Ft Myers Miracle

• 392 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:25 AM

Will also add that by all accounts he is a GREAT kid.....any my concern is only because I am really rooting for him to succeed for his own sake as well as the team

#23 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:01 PM

I’m not sure the people claiming they aren’t concerned are being totally genuine about that. I’m not saying he’s in trouble yet, but if you’re not raising an eyebrow at the anointed future face of the franchise getting blown away for 200 ABs in A-ball, I don’t know what could possibly concern you.

As honest and as genuine as I can possibly be, I am zero percent concerned about the future of Royce Lewis. He's not going to get far with his current swing, but I think anybody who's seen him had a good feeling that was going to be the case from Day 1. 

He's athletic enough to where you'd imagine he should be able to make adjustments and there doesn't appear to be any major concerns about his pitch recognition. He has a 22.0 K% and 9.5 BB% this year, both of which are better than average in the FSL. 

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#24 nater79a

nater79a

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,009 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:00 PM

I have no idea what he'll be... maybe... maybe not. I expect he'll play in the FSL All Star game and then move up to AA. 

Agree.Look at someone like Travis Blankenhorn....struggled quite a bit after the FSL all-star break last season.Heads up to AA this year and is absolutely raking. 

Could see Royce getting promoted to AA in a month or two and really take off.

#25 nater79a

nater79a

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,009 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:04 PM

Regarding Alcala's unearned runs...  

Always thought that if a pitcher commits an error that leads to runs they should be earned.I mean, it's your own fault right?Wear those earned runs.

• 70charger likes this

#26 D.C Twins

D.C Twins

Ft Myers Miracle

• 392 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:54 PM

As honest and as genuine as I can possibly be, I am zero percent concerned about the future of Royce Lewis. He's not going to get far with his current swing, but I think anybody who's seen him had a good feeling that was going to be the case from Day 1. 

He's athletic enough to where you'd imagine he should be able to make adjustments and there doesn't appear to be any major concerns about his pitch recognition. He has a 22.0 K% and 9.5 BB% this year, both of which are better than average in the FSL. 

Again... all good points. But expectations are "far better" than better than average at FSL. And if "anyone who has seen him had a good feeling" the swing was a problem from day 1, it should have probably been addressed starting at or very near to....

Tom and Seth, you guys are great and know way more than me, so we'll just agree to disagree that Lewis's season is of no concern

#27 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,865 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:37 PM

Again... all good points. But expectations are "far better" than better than average at FSL. And if "anyone who has seen him had a good feeling" the swing was a problem from day 1, it should have probably been addressed starting at or very near to....

Tom and Seth, you guys are great and know way more than me, so we'll just agree to disagree that Lewis's season is of no concern

I agree with the sentiment that it's probably easier to get a kid to completely buy in to a swing overhaul after you let theirs fail on it's own.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ryan jeffers, trevor larnach, tyler palm