Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Souhan: Mauer is Twins 2019 Most Valuable Pensioner

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 jctwins

jctwins

• 414 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:17 PM

http://www.startribu...team/510360372/

Surprised to see this wasn't posted here yet.

I have to agree. Letting Mauer go was the best move this team could have made for so many reasons this year. As I said in another thread, I am more convinced than ever that for a variety of reasons he was a part of the problem, and not part of the solution with this club.

• nclahammer likes this

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,741 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:41 PM

I think Souhan needs to check his math. I agree Mauer wasn't helping the team win, but they didn't sink all of Mauer's contract back into this team. Even if one were to add Mauer's $23M salary to the current payroll, it's still short of where it was last year. And no one in their right mind would have given Mauer $23M to play this year anyway.

This team got better for what looks like a lot of reasons. The only one of which at all related to Mauer is that CJ Cron is a better ballplayer than Mauer was. Which means the title could have just as easily have been 'Brian Dozier is Twins' 2019 MVP' since Jonathan Schoop is better than he was too.

Ugh, I don't get any kind of warm fuzzies when I think of Joe Mauer, but I swear, Jim Souhan is among the worst trolls on this site.

• Thrylos, Riverbrian, by jiminy and 9 others like this

#3 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,727 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:44 PM

I think Souhan needs to check his math. I agree Mauer wasn't helping the team win, but they didn't sink all of Mauer's contract back into this team. Even if one were to add Mauer's $23M salary to the current payroll, it's still short of where it was last year. And no one in their right mind would have given Mauer $23M to play this year anyway.

This team got better for what looks like a lot of reasons. The only one of which at all related to Mauer is that CJ Cron is a better ballplayer than he was the last several years. Which means the title could have just as easily have been 'Brian Dozier is Twins' 2019 MVP' since Jonathan Schoop is better than he was too.

Apples to apples they are only $9 million below last year's payroll.

#4 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,626 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:45 PM

There's so many better outlets to read Twins articles... Including here! Let's not give this hack a second of attention.
  • Seth Stohs, lecroy24fan, Riverbrian and 11 others like this

#5 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:45 PM

Losing Molitor helped the team MUCH more than losing Mauer.

• lecroy24fan, jjswol, Twins33 and 9 others like this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#6 ken

ken

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 175 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:48 PM

I think this year has shown our obsession with OBP and the value Mauer brought because of it was way overrated. Just like pitch to contact,it took a long time for the Twins to update their approach.
  • USAFChief and Original Whizzinator like this

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,741 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:53 PM

Apples to apples they are only $9 million below last year's payroll.

I see them at 113M this year and 132M to end last year. So I guess I see Mauer on top of this club as a 4M increase. Assuming someone was foolish enough to give Mauer $23M to play this year.

#8 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,741 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:55 PM

Losing Molitor helped the team MUCH more than losing Mauer.

The polite way to say this is gaining Baldelli helped this team MUCH more.

• Seth Stohs, Riverbrian, Doomtints and 2 others like this

#9 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,049 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:57 PM

Isn't Mauer retired? Maybe Souhan should go after John McCain now.

• SQUIRREL, Seth Stohs, lecroy24fan and 14 others like this

#10 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,089 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:58 PM

Mauer was a drag on the team for several years, no matter how beloved he might be.

Lots of money, guaranteed playing time at or near the top of the order, with little production, and an inability or unwillingness to try anything different.

Zero leadership.

He's not missed.
  • notoriousgod71, ken, wickedslider and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#11 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,727 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:03 PM

I see them at 113M this year and 132M to end last year. So I guess I see Mauer on top of this club as a 4M increase. Assuming someone was foolish enough to give Mauer $23M to play this year.

You are comparing opening day 25 man salaries this year to year end total 40 man salaries last year. That's not apples to apples.
  • nicksaviking, Major League Ready and wickedslider like this

#12 ken

ken

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 175 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:27 PM

The polite way to say this is gaining Baldelli helped this team MUCH more.

I think gaining Polanco for the start of the season is probably helping the team more.
  • lecroy24fan, dgwills, wickedslider and 3 others like this

#13 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,426 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:58 PM

People just cannot stop going after Mauer.I am sure Mauer is the reason why this team is better with a great Odorizzi and Perez and the fact the pitching overall has been MUCH better than it has in years.The reason why Buxton and Polonco are actually on the field and playing like All-Stars.  

The Twins hit .250/.318/.405 as a team last season.This year they are .272/.340/.516.The addition of Cron has certainly helped the slugging, there is a lot going on with this team that is not Mauer related.

I am sure his "non-leadership" qualities not being on the team has really pushed this team to the next level. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

/rant

• Twins33, Riverbrian, 70charger and 7 others like this

#14 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,727 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:09 PM

People just cannot stop going after Mauer. I am sure Mauer is the reason why this team is better with a great Odorizzi and Perez and the fact the pitching overall has been MUCH better than it has in years. The reason why Buxton and Polonco are actually on the field and playing like All-Stars.

The Twins hit .250/.318/.405 as a team last season. This year they are .272/.340/.516. The addition of Cron has certainly helped the slugging, there is a lot going on with this team that is not Mauer related.

I am sure his "non-leadership" qualities not being on the team has really pushed this team to the next level. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

/rant

We don't know what Mauer (nor any other player) brought to the clubhouse, nor will anyone who isn't in there everyday ever know. That goes both ways, to those suggesting that we're better without it, and to those rudely mocking those that do.
  • wickedslider likes this

#15 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:18 PM

Trash article.

• lecroy24fan, Twins33, Riverbrian and 2 others like this

#16 TheBoofIsLoose

TheBoofIsLoose

Elizabethton Twins

• 27 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:23 PM

I never fully understood the lack of leadership criticism Mauer received. From what came out last year around his retirement it sounds like he was more of a behind the scenes guy, organizing ball giveaways after games, showing up every day prepared, setting examples, etc. No one is ever going to accuse Mauer of being "rah-rah" out on the field or in an interview, even if it would have been nice to see once in a while, but not every leader needs to be Rudy-esque. There must be some reason his teammates universally praised him and called him a leader on their team once he retired.

• lecroy24fan, Twins33, Oldgoat_MN and 5 others like this

#17 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,727 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:29 PM

I never fully understood the lack of leadership criticism Mauer received. From what came out last year around his retirement it sounds like he was more of a behind the scenes guy, organizing ball giveaways after games, showing up every day prepared, setting examples, etc. No one is ever going to accuse Mauer of being "rah-rah" out on the field or in an interview, even if it would have been nice to see once in a while, but not every leader needs to be Rudy-esque. There must be some reason his teammates universally praised him and called him a leader on their team once he retired.

I won't criticize leadership and locker room presence, almost ever, because we never know.

But, that is what teammates do when the press is watching, no matter what. Adrian Peterson was also universally praised by his teammates, even after it was discovered that he beats toddlers with tree branches.

And, no, I'm not accusing Joe Mauer of doing anything like that. From everything I know, he seems like a great person. I'm just saying that how his teammates present him while the press are watching doesn't mean much.
  • Original Whizzinator likes this

#18 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,426 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:32 PM

We don't know what Mauer (nor any other player) brought to the clubhouse, nor will anyone who isn't in there everyday ever know. That goes both ways, to those suggesting that we're better without it, and to those rudely mocking those that do.

Generally when a guy has been in a clubhouse going on two decades a couple things will come out if he is a bad teammate or bad clubhouse guy or generally not a good guy to have around.Those things are virtually non-existent.I apologize if my post came off as rude, but the Mauer bashing around these parts over the years reached an unbelievable level, at least IMO.

• lecroy24fan, 70charger, Wyorev and 5 others like this

#19 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,727 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:47 PM

Generally when a guy has been in a clubhouse going on two decades a couple things will come out if he is a bad teammate or bad clubhouse guy or generally not a good guy to have around. Those things are virtually non-existent. I apologize if my post came off as rude, but the Mauer bashing around these parts over the years reached an unbelievable level, at least IMO.

There is a lot of room between bad teammate/clubhouse cancer, and great leader. I don't think anyone here has ever accused him of the former. It's possible to be a great teammate and guy, while possessing minimal leadership abilities.
I've worked with a lot of people who were outstanding workers, and liked by most, but didn't have the ability to lead.
Kirby Puckett, on the other hand, it seems was a fairly awful human being, but by all accounts possessed that rare ability to inspire people to follow him.

Again, I don't know if that's the case with Mauer. I'm not trying to suggest he wasn't a good leader, I just don't know.
And I agree, the Mauer bashing has been over the top over the years. But, people adamantly defending him against any and all criticisms have been over the top as well.
I'm glad Mauer retired, not because I didn't like him as a player, but because you had to walk on eggshells when he was playing. Any attempt to discuss his legitimate flaws automatically got you painted into the "Mauer hater" corner. Or, the topic got hijacked by those that wanted to pile on Mauer unfairly, depending on who got there first.

Edited by Mr. Brooks, 24 May 2019 - 03:48 PM.

• mplsman and wickedslider like this

#20 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• 322 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:55 PM

Souhan seems to want to take any chance to toss negativity towards Mauer.I am happy he got a nice send-off.We can enjoy the current success without dumping on him.Isn't Souhan the same person who challenged Mauer's toughness as he was suffering from a brain injury?That says plenty.Moving on.....

Edited by Steve Penz, 24 May 2019 - 03:58 PM.

• SQUIRREL, lecroy24fan, glunn and 8 others like this