Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

What's Up With Kepler and Sano?

miguel sano max kepler
  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:36 AM

Yesterday Tom Froemming wrote a solid article on Rocco Baldelli's management style and how it may shape the clubhouse culture for the better. Meanwhile, during yesterday's slugfest in Anaheim FSN cameras caught Max Kepler and Miguel Sano bumping shoulders and then jawing some as they walked separate ways.

Thanks to SkorNorth's Ramie Makhlouf this clip gained a little steam on Twitter:

My amateur lip-reading skills sees Kepler saying "everyone gets a hit" or something to that extent as he brushes past Sano. Sano turns then says something back at Kepler. Is there something more ominous behind this interaction? Maybe. Overreacting and reading too much into a short clip without context? Almost definitely.

Historically, the Twins. like all teams, are no strangers to in-fighting. There was the infamous Dan Gladden-Steve Lombardozzi incident of 1987 when, according to Al Newman, Gladden "beat the s---" out of Lombardozzi at Gladden's home following an altercation on a team flight. Or in 2005 when Torii Hunter took a swing at Justin Morneau (“It’s really no different than fighting with your brothers,” said Hunter at that time.) Or the Jose Mijares-Delmon Young dust-up. Over the course of 162-game season and living in close quarters, these types of things happen.

I doubt Kepler and Sano will join those ranks -- after all, winning cures everything, right?

• glunn, birdwatcher, nicksaviking and 1 other like this

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#2 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 10,019 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:45 AM

Kepler gets consecutive looks from Polanco, Sano, and Astudillo.Wonder if he was talking in German.That would make people turn his heads trying to figure out what the hey is going on.

Over reaction.

• glunn, nicksaviking, nytwinsfan and 1 other like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#3 scottz

scottz

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:52 AM

Curiously following this thread. It might not be something, but it doesn't look like nothing, whatever it is.

• ashbury, glunn and denarded like this

#4 blindeke

blindeke

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:07 AM

Must we?

• Shaitan likes this

#5 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:13 AM

You're kidding, right? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and go with yes.

#6 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,553 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:13 AM

Parker, are you trolling?

• glunn, Blake, Mike Sixel and 3 others like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#7 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:17 AM

Parker, are you trolling?

I'm not trolling. Just bringing some conversation that started on twitter into our universe here. 

Frankly, I'm with everyone else -- nothing to see here -- but I also wanted to talk about the glorious Gladden/Lombo story. 

• Carole Keller, ashbury, glunn and 7 others like this

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#8 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,553 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:18 AM

I'm not trolling. Just bringing some conversation that started on twitter into our universe here. 

Frankly, I'm with everyone else -- nothing to see here -- but I also wanted to remember the glorious Gladden/Lombo story. 

Of course I was jesting. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks, 'Ooouuu ... that looks like something, wonder what gives', but the pragmatist says, 'Eh.'

• glunn and Blake like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#9 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,136 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:23 AM

Kepler gets consecutive looks from Polanco, Sano, and Astudillo.Wonder if he was talking in German.That would make people turn his heads trying to figure out what the hey is going on.

Over reaction.

Kepler's mother is American, he was doubtless fluent in English since childhood (his speech is unaccented), and he's been state-side for, what, nine years now?

I would be shocked if he mutters anything in German in the dugout.

• USAFChief, glunn, birdwatcher and 5 others like this

I don't have to tell you it goes without saying there are some things better left unsaid. I think that speaks for itself. The less said about it, the better. -- George Carlin

#10 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:43 AM

We've got a bunch of mid-20s guys jammed into a small space. They're all hyped up on adrenaline and they're all competitive. I'd be more worried if there wasn't a couple of spats that happen in the dugout from time to time. Tells me they all want to win.

• glunn, Han Joelo, SwainZag and 1 other like this

#11 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:48 AM

If anything, Sano is wondering what Kepler is talking about.

Big deal.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#12 prouster

prouster

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:01 PM

Kepler's mother is American, he was doubtless fluent in English since childhood (his speech is unaccented), and he's been state-side for, what, nine years now?

I would be shocked if he mutters anything in German in the dugout.

I’m assuming German is probably his native language, since that’s where he grew up. A lot of people will slip into their native languages consciously or unconsciously in testy or irritating moments no matter how well or long they’ve been speaking another.

In any case, this is a far cry from Barry Bonds & Jeff Kent.

Edited by prouster, 24 May 2019 - 12:02 PM.

• TFRazor likes this

#13 MNT1996

MNT1996

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:03 PM

Fake drama manufactured by people who look for any negative when things are going good...delete

• notoriousgod71 and Nine of twelve like this

#14 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:25 PM

"We need to kill the idea that Sano is a bad clubhouse presence."wrote Brock Beauchamp 5-10-19 in response to my question: "Is anyone else worried that the addition of Sano to the lineup may upset the existing major league leading chemistry?"Brock had a point. But maybe so did I. 

• jctwins likes this

#15 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,136 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:28 PM

I’m assuming German is probably his native language, since that’s where he grew up. A lot of people will slip into their native languages consciously or unconsciously in testy or irritating moments no matter how well or long they’ve been speaking another.

A good interview question for Max would be which language he curses in when he stubs his toe in the middle of the night on the way to the bathroom. :)

I think he's really really more bi-lingual than fans are brought to believe, with this Der Schlager marketing and so forth. Listen to his interviews. He speaks 'Murican.

• glunn and Sam Morley like this

I don't have to tell you it goes without saying there are some things better left unsaid. I think that speaks for itself. The less said about it, the better. -- George Carlin

#16 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:45 PM

A good interview question for Max would be which language he curses in when he stubs his toe in the middle of the night on the way to the bathroom. :)

I'm not fluent in it and I've never been to France, but when this happens to me I'm most definitely speaking French...

• ashbury likes this

"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains." 

#17 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:37 PM

I don't see them "brush shoulders." Sano clearly gives him a pat on the back as he walked by, it was almost a quick hug.

I don't think its anything between the two, I bet whatever he said was directed at himself. More context would be nice, what part of the game was it? Was it right after Kepler's weak pop out in the 1st?

Edited by SomeGuy, 24 May 2019 - 01:38 PM.

#18 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:19 PM

Alex Trebek: The question to this video.

Contestant: What is..."A twitter controversy that tells you that your team is doing well?"

• ashbury, diehardtwinsfan and nicksaviking like this

#19 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 10,683 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:08 PM

Kepler
"Everyone eat"

Sano
"When"!!

Troubling.
  • Carole Keller, glunn, nicksaviking and 3 others like this

#20 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:13 PM

no doubt the answer will be found on the grassy knoll.

• ashbury, glunn, birdwatcher and 2 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miguel sano, max kepler