- Please welcome our new moderator: Melanie (Funkytown)
Today, 10:56 AM
- Should Teddy win the ROY award?
Today, 10:20 AM
- Purple Pain Members - Start Here!
Today, 09:57 AM
- Notable NFL News (Cuts, signings, injuries, etc.)
Today, 06:11 AM
- Vikings Free Agency News
Today, 06:06 AM
- Article: We Wish You a Purple Christmas
Today, 05:48 AM
- Article: Clock Management Bites The Vikings Once Again
Yesterday, 07:58 PM
- Article: Film Review: Teddy Dazzles While the Defense Grew Dim
Yesterday, 08:31 AM
- Article: Vikings Journal Mailbag: Salvaging Players, Fitting Zimmer's Defense, Chemistry and Draft Priorities
Yesterday, 06:15 AM
- Article: Pro Bowl Shuts Out Vikings
Dec 23 2014 11:28 PM
On This Date: 1961
Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:17 PM
Maris was born in Bemidji, Minnesota, but as we all know, he grew up in Fargo, ND. If you've ever been to the West Acres Mall in Fargo, you've hopefully taken some time to explore the Roger Maris Hall of Fame.
I know some of our readers here at Twins Daily may remember the 1961 season, or years following it. I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the topic.
Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:48 PM
In my old eyes his record is the real record!
May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.
Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:37 PM
I started following baseball in 1961 as a first grader as it was the Twins first year! I grew up in Austin. Moose Skowron had played for the local amateur team so everybody followed the Yankees and Johnny Blanchard was from Minnesota.
Baseball cards on the back of cereal boxes spawned our interest. I liked the '62 Topps baseball cards better! Wood panel with the picture curled up in the corner. I wish I would have kept them-- but they made a great sound in the spokes of our Sting Rays!