Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Brusdar?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 psturnbloom

psturnbloom

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:59 PM

Brusdar is in Minneapolis today. I wonder why...

Edited by psturnbloom, 23 May 2019 - 01:02 PM.

#2 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 4,201 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:00 PM

Dibs on nicking him "Bruiser."

• Danchat likes this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#3 MNT1996

MNT1996

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:07 PM

My guess: Arraez and Adams will be sent to Rochester on Friday. Cruz will be activated from DL. Brusdar will take Pineda's spot against the Brewers and Pineda will be put in the BP.

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,948 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:10 PM

Well with Kohl Stewart pitching yesterday, this would make some sense. Man, the way this team is playing right now, it would be absolutely fantastic if the good vibes rub off on the young fireballer. It's been over a decade since this team had a legit pitching prospect come up and actually be a positive contributor. 

While it would likely only be a spot start, I've been thinking lately that since he's using mostly a four seamer and slider combo, Michael Pineda might actually be a pretty good pitcher out of the pen and that's perhaps where his future will be anyway.

#5 MNT1996

MNT1996

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:12 PM

While it would likely only be a spot start, I've been thinking lately that since he's using mostly a four seamer and slider combo, Michael Pineda might actually be a pretty good pitcher out of the pen and that's perhaps where his future will be anyway.

Yeah looking at the numbers that Pineda has when it comes to the 2nd and 3rd time through the batting order I think the Twins might be trying to look at Pineda as an "opener" type of pitcher.

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,282 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:27 PM

I talked to a couple of other Twins minor league pitchers who were also in Minneapolis the last couple of days. They bring guys in there to pitch in front of the front office on the Target Field mound.

I've only talked to Extended Spring Training guys so far. So I think that this is a new thing. 

That's not to say that Brusdar was there for the same reason as the Extended Spring Training guys were, but that is a real possibility.

In my mind, I just can't see the justification for NOW to be the time to call him up. The five starters have been good or fine. In Pineda's case, he's got three straight Quality Starts, so now wouldn't be the time to bring up a replacement. The other four aren't being replaced now.

It also just feels like it's way too early to bring him up as a reliever if they plan to have him be a starter going forward. 

The other possibility is just coming up to see or be evaluated by Twins doctors. That's a more negative twist... 

• Carole Keller, ashbury, DiscGolfer and 2 others like this

#7 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,646 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:56 PM

That and Graterol is just getting his first taste of AA...and he's not on teh 40 man, meaning an option will be burned at some point this year. If he's up, he's likely pen help come August when he won't burn an option.

• Carole Keller and ashbury like this

#8 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,813 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:18 PM

Brusdar is in Minneapolis today. I wonder why...

This is a question that someone who is a significant player on this site should ask Derek Falvey.

#9 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:15 PM

That and Graterol is just getting his first taste of AA...and he's not on teh 40 man, meaning an option will be burned at some point this year. If he's up, he's likely pen help come August when he won't burn an option.

This is a totally rational take and you're probably right.

The fan in me hopes you are bitterly wrong though.

Edited by TheLeviathan, 23 May 2019 - 07:15 PM.

#10 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:48 PM

There is an article on this in the Minor League forum. Please direct, or redirect, your comments there. Thanks.

http://twinsdaily.co...rget-field-for/

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable.