Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 8, LAA 3: Bats Break Loose Late

marwin gonzalez jorge polanco luis arraez michael pineda
  • Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 AJ Condon

AJ Condon

Elizabethton Twins

• Twins Daily Contributor
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:54 PM

Rookie Luis Arraez broke the ice Tuesday night against the Angels. The Twins were being no-hit through four innings, but Arraez hit a leadoff single in the fifth. The Twins broke through for three runs in the sixth then four more in the seventh. Arraez also hit his first major league home run and made an excellent defensive play to end this game.Box Score
Pineda: 6.0 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, 63.0% strikes (51 of 81 pitches)
Home Runs: Gonzalez (5), Arraez (1)
Multi-Hit Games: Kepler (2-for-4, 2B, BB), Polanco (2-for-4, BB), Gonzalez (2-for-5, 2B, HR), Rosario (2-for-5), Arraez (2-for-4, HR)
WPA of +0.1: Gonzalez .305, Polanco .285
WPA of -0.1: Schoop -.100
Download attachment: Win521.png
(chart via FanGraphs)

The matchup for tonight’s game was Michael Pineda against Trevor Cahill as the Twins looked for their second straight win and to continue their hot road trip.

Pineda Settles
Michael Pineda had a rough start to the game, giving up a solo shot to Mike Trout in the first and a two out rally in the second as the Angels got off to a 3-0 lead. After a shaky start that included three hits, one walk and a wild pitch, he was able to send down 13 out of 14 batters to close out his night.

It was very impressive to see Pineda be able to pitch six innings tonight after his first two innings. He recovered well and finished with 6 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 Ks and was able to pick up a win thanks to some late game hitting. He improved to 4-3 but his ERA is still pretty high, sitting at 5.43. He’s been looking better of late and keep in mind, he’s coming off Tommy John surgery.

Offense Comes Alive Late
After being no-hit for the first four innings of the game, Arraez continued his hit-streak to start his career. He hit his first major league home run in the eighth inning and is now 7-for-12 in the major leagues.

Through five innings, the Twins had only three baserunners, two walks and one hit, but none of them had made it past first base.Then, the Twins exploded in the second half of the game to win their second straight and improve to 5-1 on this road trip.

In the sixth inning they had three straight extra base hits on three straight pitches. It started with a double from Kepler that was very close to being a home run which ended Cahill’s night, exactly what the Twins needed. Polanco followed with a double of his own down the first base line to score the first run for the Twins. Marwin Gonzalez was able to tie the game on a home run to right field to extend his hit streak to 11 games and tying the game at 3-3.

The hitting continued into the seventh to put the Twins up for the first time tonight. A hit-by-pitch and a pair of singles, including another RBI for Polanco on a two-out single. Gonzalez extended the lead with a ground rule double for his third RBI of the night. Eddie Rosario kept it going with a weird play between the shift which scored two more runs in the seventh.

Bullpen’s Work
Matt Magill came in for the seventh and made quick work, striking out his first two batters, and after allowing a single, got La Stella to ground out to end the inning.

Trevor May got the call for the eighth and after giving up a lead off walk, he got a fielder’s choice and a strikeout before handing the ball to Baldelli. Rogers came in, after pitching for the first time in six days last night, and retired his only batter on the first pitch to end the eighth.

Mike Morin was given the ninth inning and gave up a couple of singles. There was no need to worry with the defense he had behind him. Buxton made one catch crashing into the wall, and another sprinting in for the first two outs, and Arraez made a diving stop at third to finish off the game

The Twins won 8-3 and secured a series win in Anaheim. They improve to 32-16 with a 6.5 game lead in the American League Central.

Postgame With Arraez

Bullpen Usage
Here’s a quick look at the number of pitches thrown by the bullpen over the past five days:
Download attachment: Pen521.png
Next Game
Wed at LAA, 8:07 pm CT (Perez-Harvey)

Last Game
MIN 3, LAA 1: Pitching Great, Sano Homers Late

More from Twins Daily
The Artist Currently Known as Taylor Rogers
Twins' Offense Having a Barrel of Fun
Twins Minor League Report (5/21): Gonsalves Returns

Click here to view the article
  • USAFChief, Jerr and nicksaviking like this

#2 MNT1996

MNT1996

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,573 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:17 AM

Every game Arraez is making it harder and harder for the FO. DFA Adrianza? 

• mikelink45, nytwinsfan, Sam Morley and 6 others like this

#3 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,872 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:20 AM

I'm starting to allow myself to get my hopes up for this team. That's scary. The last time I felt this good about a Twins squad I was a freshman in college. Ahhh the good old days.....

• brvama, TheLeviathan, Danchat and 5 others like this

#4 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 628 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:28 AM

Today's game was really one of my favorite games (I say today's; I suppose I should say last night/this morning's game; it all gets jumbled when spanning the Pacific Ocean) and also the first game against the Angels at the Big A (do they still play there?). Last year, I sincerely doubt we would have won either of those games.

In the opening game (the 3-1 victory), the 2018 Twins would have almost certainly squandered the lead as the 2019 Twins also proceeded to do, but eventually the 2018 version would have almost certainly lost the game in the 8th or 9th inning.

In the 8-3 win, the 2019 Twins did something they haven't really done even this year. They locked things down and came roaring back to win.

For me, this was Pineda's best performance. Sure he gave a home run to Trout, but it's going to eventually happen when you play the Angels and after his wild pitch, he could have just phoned it in, but instead, he got tough and started really pitching well. Besides, he didn't give up 6 hits to La Stella, which was a refreshing change of pace.

Also, the Twins mounted a comeback against a very decent Angels bullpen, and they delivered a number of big hits with two outs. This time they completed the comeback by not only tying the score in one inning but putting the game away in the next.

Arraez........(no words).

• Oldgoat_MN, bighat, MN_ExPat and 4 others like this

#5 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,551 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:52 AM

Luis Arraez has a bit of a Tony Gwynn look to him. I'm okay with that, I guess... Could the Twins use a young Tony Gwynn in the lineup?

Seriously, this kid looks like a guy that could average well over .300. How the heck did the Twins luck into him? Hate to say it, but there's no way they keep Adrianza around with Arraez's hot bat in the lineup. Not even sure how they keep Arraez on the bench at all. He could bump Schoop from 2nd base. Sweet Luis could force his way into the lineup. 

Edited by jimbo92107, 22 May 2019 - 04:12 AM.

• Jerr, mikelink45, cmoss84 and 4 others like this
The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#6 Penthang

Penthang

• 110 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:05 AM

With every game Arraez is making it harder for them to send him down when everyone gets healthy and it looks like Gonzales has found his swing. Great night for those two.
  • Jerr, bighat and rdehring like this

--Twins Fan From Texas

#7 ScooterDance

ScooterDance

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 219 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:18 AM

According to 538 twins have climbed to 5th best ELO. Projected 4th best record (97 wins! 97!). 90% to make playoffs (3rd highest). 77% to win central. 6% to win it all (4th highest).

Pinch me. This real?
  • birdwatcher, Jerr, JeffReboulet and 8 others like this

#8 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,638 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:55 AM

Went I bed as they were down 3-0. Woke up this morning to cruise through the dvr. Unlike in years past, I thought “this line-up, a three runs, that’s doable.”

Sure was. They tied it up in a blink.
  • Lonestar, Dman, MN_ExPat and 2 others like this

#9 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,041 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:36 AM

I heard that some fans went to bed at 10:15pm when the Twins were getting no-hit thru 5 innings. Oh, wait, that was me.

Thrilled, yet not shocked to see the results this morning. Wow!

• brvama, Danchat, Dman and 4 others like this

#10 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,631 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:38 AM

Arraez is certainly making the case for the 2B job next season. 

• brvama, IaFan1, bighat and 3 others like this

#11 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• 719 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:45 AM

Every game Arraez is making it harder and harder for the FO. DFA Adrianza?

Problem is Adrianza's been playing pretty well this season when called upon too
  • brvama, Oldgoat_MN, WLFINN and 2 others like this

#12 ScooterDance

ScooterDance

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 219 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:57 AM

Last year: you could make a case for DFAing our cleanup hitter

This year: jeebus our 12th man could start for half the teams in the league. Our 13th man (cave) too.
  • birdwatcher, scottz, Riverbrian and 6 others like this

#13 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 1,045 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:02 AM

Another team, another season series win. Still 65 games left against the ALC. This is shaping up to be a fun summer.
  • SwainZag, IaFan1, rdehring and 1 other like this

#14 AZTwin

AZTwin

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 971 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:09 AM

Another team, another season series win. Still 65 games left against the ALC. This is shaping up to be a fun summer.

If I were Kimbrel, I would be salivating at the chance of a 1 year deal with the Twins
  • birdwatcher, scottz, diehardtwinsfan and 6 others like this

#15 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,316 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:11 AM

Last year: you could make a case for DFAing our cleanup hitter

This year: jeebus our 12th man could start for half the teams in the league. Our 13th man (cave) too.

This pretty much sums it up. 

This explains why I put Logan Morrison on a poster with the caption, this can never happen again and why I've been asking for the depth and flexibility that this team has. 

I have no complaints.  

• Circus Boy, DocBauer and MN_ExPat like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#16 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• 965 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:13 AM

Seriously, this kid looks like a guy that could average well over .300. How the heck did the Twins luck into him? Hate to say it, but there's no way they keep Adrianza around with Arraez's hot bat in the lineup.

Forget about Adrianza, it's Gordon who has become expendable.

• mikelink45 and rdehring like this

#17 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• 698 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:13 AM

Pineda: 5th starter with a 4-3 winning record (Twins are 5-5 in his 10 starts). Not much more the Twins can ask for, from the back end of the rotation. This must be the trade deadline priority. Pineda's contract expires at the end of the season. Upgrade in July to a top-tier pitcher under team control through the 2021-22 horizon. Until then, if Pineda can get to the end of July with an 8-6 record, our Twins will be catbirding a seat way on top of the Central, perched for a deep playoff run.

Arraez: Schoop is on a one-year deal. The Rookie is playing three positions, hitting .583 with Nick Gordon and Royce Lewis right behind him in Rochester and Ft. Myers. Polanco, among the best hitters in the league, is signed through 2023.

As fun as things are now, I am almost more excited about how the middle infield and rotation will fill out over the coming months, and how these developments could set the stage for competitive baseball in Minnesota over several years.
  • denarded, birdwatcher, scottz and 12 others like this

#18 laloesch

laloesch

• 1,851 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:30 AM

With every game Arraez is making it harder for them to send him down when everyone gets healthy and it looks like Gonzales has found his swing. Great night for those two.

I agree. I want to see more of Arraez. 

#19 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,517 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:36 AM

Like manhy of you, down 3-0 I flipped to the news at 10:15 to see the weather and then went to sleep.Work up early and flipped on CNBC to catch the pre-market.Expected to see the Twins lost and would be playing for the series win today.Wrong, the crawler came along and saw the Minnesota 8-3 win.This team does not quit!

Not only did Pineda settle down and go 6, but the bats erupted with the top of the order leading the way. 

I have been following Arraez closely since he hit nearly .350 in Cedar Rapids back in 2016.This kid can flat out hit, but has shown little power throughout his rise thru the system.Could that change with his arrival in the big leagues with their juiced ball?Saw the mention of Tony Gwynn above and would gladly take a Twins version of Tony Gwynn or Jose Altuve light.

• brvama, Minny505 and MN_ExPat like this

#20 Jham

Jham

• 2,216 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:58 AM

Fun with numbers: Luis Arraez has accumulated .4 bwar in 4 games.
  • ashbury, USAFChief, scottz and 5 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: marwin gonzalez, jorge polanco, luis arraez, michael pineda