Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Game Thread: Twins @ Angels, 5/21/19, 9:07 CT

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#1 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

Official Bat Boy

• 2,970 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:45 PM

I love these west coast games as a night owl. It gives me something to do while I lay in bed, but having no intentions of sleeping. It is especially fun when you are winning these games, and the Twins secured a winning road trip with the victory yesterday. They have yet to drop a stand, whether it be home or away. I think if we keep doing that, we get to raise a trophy at the end of the year. Don't quote me, though. 

The Pitchers:

Michael Pineda (3-3, 5.55 ERA, 41 SO) vs Trevor Cahill (2-4, 6.95 ERA, 33 SO)

Michael Pineda hasn't exactly set the world on fire, but he did look better in his last start out, but did have an advantage of pitching with a fairly large lead. He has given up 13 home runs this year, which is one off of the MLB "lead," Pineda is actually pitcher better than his FIP predicts, which is a 5.64 thus far. However, his HR/9 is a half a homer over his career high, so we should see that drop somewhat. It will be tough for him to strike out batters tonight, as the Angels strike out the fewest in the league. Cahill is making his second straight start against the Twins. Last time he failed to make it five innings, and gave up six runs. Let's hope the Twins have the same productivity this time around. It will be interesting to see what kind of adjustments the right hander makes the second go around. 

ap_fd8fddf671a1429697a803f7b1aff49c-546x

The Lineups:

Twins

RF Max Kepler L
SS J. Polanco S
DH M. Gonzalez S
LF E. Rosario L
1B C.J. Cron R
3B Luis Arraez L
2B J. Schoop R
C Jason Castro L
CF Byron Buxton R

Angels

3B T. La Stella L
CF Mike Trout R
DH S. Ohtani L
1B A. Pujols R
RF Kole Calhoun L
C Kevan Smith R
LF B. Goodwin L
2B Luis Rengifo S
SS D. Fletcher R

The Twins welcome Marwin Gonzalez, CJ Cron, and Jonathan Schoop back to the lineup tonight. Luis Arraez makes another start after jumping off to a hot start with the Twins, and will be playing third base. Miguel Sano will get a well deserved day off after saving last nights game with a long ball late. Angel's shortstop Andrelton Simmons was placed on the 10-day injured list with a grade three ankle sprain after a play in the eighth inning grounding out, in which he rolled his ankle on the 1st base bag. This was a play after Shohei Othani struck out swinging on a ball that hit his hand. I am a bit surprised to see him in tonights game after he was acting like he was going to need a hand amputation less than 24 hours ago. 

Mill's Moments

1. Props to Luis

Luis Arraez was promoted aggressively after the injury to Nelson Cruz, playing just three games at triple-A Rochester. I know we talk about small sample size an awful lot around here, and this is no different. However, Luis passes the eye test of a major league ball player. The moment does not seem too big for him, and he takes professional at bats. I don't think his glove would grade out as a plus at any position, but I don't think it is going to hold him back. I am interested to see him at the hot corner tonight, as it is not a position he has played a lot of in the minor leagues. It seems as if the Twins are grooming him to be the next Marwin Gonzalez, which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

2. Astudillo is Wearing Me Down

Don't get me wrong, I think Astudillo is a great story. He is a good ball player, but he is not nearly as good as some make him out to be. I know he gets the love because he looks more like one of us than he does a pro athlete, but that shouldn't matter. The Twins are trying to win baseball games this year, not sell tickets like they were last September. He should clearly be on the roster with Garver going down. However, with Arraez, Marwin, and Ehire on the roster right now, that is the only place he should be playing. He should not be getting ABs at first base, third base, or a corner outfield position. In fact, his best position is probably pinch hitting off the bench in which he provides great value for putting the ball in play virtually every time. 

This Day In History: 2009 - The Twins enjoy a six-run and a seven-run inning when they trounce the White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field, 20-1. Joe Mauer leads the Minnesota offense with a grand slam and two doubles, driving in a career-high six runs. (Via nationalpastime)

Pick to Click: Eddie Rosario is hitting a ball over the outfield fences in fair territory tonight, probably on a pitch not in the strike zone.

Go Twins!!!

• USAFChief, glunn, Blake and 10 others like this

Career Game Thread Record: 18-6

Safe to say I am the key to the Twins' success 

#2 MNT1996

MNT1996

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,431 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:52 PM

I'm liking the lineup tonight

• glunn likes this

#3 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:53 PM

Astudillo won't be playing the field with only one other catcher on the active roster. Don't worry about it.

This is a good opposing lineup for Pineda to have a good game.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#4 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

Official Bat Boy

• 2,970 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:54 PM

Astudillo won't be playing the field with only one other catcher on the active roster. Don't worry about it.

This is a good opposing lineup for Pineda to have a good game.

He played first base last night....

• USAFChief, glunn, PseudoSABR and 3 others like this

Career Game Thread Record: 18-6

Safe to say I am the key to the Twins' success 

#5 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:04 PM

He played first base last night....

Sounds like a dumb move on the part of the manager. He'll figure it out sooner rather than later.

• glunn likes this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#6 ScooterDance

ScooterDance

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 209 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:20 PM

In Europe this week and next. This week games ended at ~6am. Not to fear, when we head back home (+2 hours time zone), I go +2 hours to Denmark.

So basically my morning coffee is served with a game recap and TD check. Kinda nice. Except I can't watch any of the games.

• glunn and bighat like this

#7 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• 2,656 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:25 PM

I like Arraez but not so much as to sit Sano.
  • glunn, denarded, Mike Sixel and 2 others like this

he gone!

#8 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,047 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:40 PM

Looking forward to a big night for Big Mike!

Also rooting for Rosario to progress from slump, to singles, to extra-base hits and homers again.

I really like Arraez so far. Glad we're getting a good look at him.

• glunn and bighat like this

#9 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 6,829 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:51 PM

Bah on the "glass half full" Twins West Coast swing.

#10 Jax

Jax

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 123 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:51 PM

Another easy win.

#11 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

conical shame

• 8,411 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:56 PM

I hope we win.
  • bighat likes this

#12 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,718 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:01 PM

Sano needs at bats to catch up, not more time not playing baseball. I don't get this.
  • SF Twins Fan and Nine of twelve like this

#13 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:13 PM

Sounds like a dumb move on the part of the manager. He'll figure it out sooner rather than later.

If there's an injury to Castro, you just move Astudillo there.The dumb move would be to DH Astudillo with Castro in the lineup.

• USAFChief, luckylager, denarded and 5 others like this

#14 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,089 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:20 PM

It's funny how fast everyone's turned on Astudillo. Meanwhile, I've been thinking and I haven't heard anyone say it, but I think Astudillo has looked very good defensively as a catcher. So even with him not hitting over .300 anymore, he's still one of the best backup catchers in baseball, which is a rare thing to have.

Oh, and I like how they've gotten Arraez in the lineup again. Let's keep giving the kid some ABs and see if he keeps hitting!

Edited by Danchat, 21 May 2019 - 06:21 PM.

• Riverbrian, Sconnie, SF Twins Fan and 3 others like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#15 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• 1,728 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:31 PM

So refreshing to click on total MLB standings and see the Twins second out of 30 ballclubs, just a half-game off the hottest team in baseball, Houston. Add on the six-game win streak at the end of last season, and Minnesota has a .700 winning percentage in its last 53 games. Good times, good times.

• ashbury, glunn, PseudoSABR and 2 others like this

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish saying

"Good thing you married my daughter, because you've got no skills and you're not too smart." -- Circus Boy's father-in-law

#16 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,714 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:42 PM

Good times tonight. Great to see Arreaz in the lineup. I know he's likely to go down for Cruz this weekend but I think it's great that the team is finding out what he can do while he's here. He may be as good as Astudillo in the field with a better bat, but can't play catcher. May set up an interesting choice someday. Not right away though, because Arreaz goes down for Cruz and Astudillo goes down for Garver when he comes back. Likely no room in the inn for either unless Adrianza is traded.

• bighat likes this

#17 twins_89

twins_89

Ft Myers Miracle

• 373 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:57 PM

Here's an interesting article on Pineda. 

https://blogs.fangra...e-his-approach/

My basic take-away was that Pineda's struggles are likely to continue if he keeps the same approach he has used so far this season. His fastball velocity is down and since he throws it with little spin he is likely to get hit hard if he continues to throw it up in the strike zone. His slider has been getting crushed when he throws it over the plate, so the article suggests he needs to start throwing it so it breaks out of the strike zone. 

#18 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,384 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:57 PM

Sano needs at bats to catch up, not more time not playing baseball. I don't get this.

He’s played 3 or 4 days in a row. He’s probably not at the point where he can play more than that in a row. Frankly, he may never be able to play more than that consecutively.
  • PseudoSABR, bighat and MVP Nick Punto like this

#19 denarded

denarded

• 100 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:02 PM

I'm stoked with the season so far and really have no complaints. I don't want to be greedy, but would love to see Rosario and Polanco hot at the same time for a week (and that is not meant to sound dirty)

• Don Walcott, bighat, Original Whizzinator and 1 other like this
Wikipedia is for suckers

#20 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,718 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:40 PM

He’s played 3 or 4 days in a row. He’s probably not at the point where he can play more than that in a row. Frankly, he may never be able to play more than that consecutively.

It's baseball. He can play baseball 4 days in a row.
I get that it's become a thing here to make fun of Sano like he's some 600 pound freak. But, he's a 26 year old athlete, and again, it's baseball.
  • SF Twins Fan and jkcarew like this