Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Carter Stewart to Japan

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 AZTwin

AZTwin

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:38 AM

He was a top 10 draft pick of the Braves last year but didn’t sign due to injury concerns. He was projected to go in the first round again this year but instead elected to sign a deal in Japan. Interesting move
  • gunnarthor and bighat like this

#2 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:05 AM

https://www.mlb.com/...her-signs-japan

#3 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,514 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:28 AM

I hope more players do this, and get lots of money. But I doubt it happens.
  • gunnarthor, Taildragger8791 and bighat like this

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#4 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:28 PM

4m and he can come back to the US as a free agent if a team posts a 20m posting fee. Great deal for him. 

https://www.mlbtrade...anese-team.html

• Mike Sixel, Vanimal46 and bighat like this

#5 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,222 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:46 PM

He had fallen far enough that he wasn't getting that much in the draft, so it is a good move for him. Interestingly, the wrist that gave him issues in 2018 and ended up showing up in an MRI with the Braves that led to the contested change in his offer from the Braves has been favored in his delivery this year. He's not getting the same break and movement on his pitches this year, and many say that he's moving his wrist in his delivery different this year than he was previously.

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#6 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:05 AM

http://www.espn.com/...aft-upside-down

Good article on the pros for Stewart in this ESPN article. Best case, he makes 3m more and is a free agent 3 years earlier than he would be if he was drafted. 

#7 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,514 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:46 AM

I think of it more, worst case he makes 3MM more....

Also, just read that in the KBO, the minor leaguers make 22K per year......their travel schedule is better, and they get better food/housing.....

Edited by Mike Sixel, 22 May 2019 - 08:46 AM.

#8 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 2,011 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:02 AM

....plus he gets to go live in Japan instead of, say, Danville GA. You can do a lot more interesting things with 4 million in Japan than you can in sticksville. Good for this kid.

• gunnarthor and DannySD like this

#9 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• Members
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:21 AM

I think of it more, worst case he makes 3MM more....

Also, just read that in the KBO, the minor leaguers make 22K per year......their travel schedule is better, and they get better food/housing.....

That's not the worst case.The worst case is that he doesn't develop in Japan, and washes out of professional baseball by the time he's 25.Unfortunately, there's no way to know, but it's possible he would develop better in the US, and go on to sign multiple FA deals.It's a gamble, and one with a really nice floor, but a gamble nonetheless.

• SwainZag likes this

#10 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,514 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:37 AM

That's not the worst case. The worst case is that he doesn't develop in Japan, and washes out of professional baseball by the time he's 25. Unfortunately, there's no way to know, but it's possible he would develop better in the US, and go on to sign multiple FA deals. It's a gamble, and one with a really nice floor, but a gamble nonetheless.

And in the process, he's made three million more.... So, yes, that's the worst case. He makes three million more.... No matter what.

#11 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:26 AM

If this started to catch on with high-end prospects I imagine MLB will try to negotiate with foreign leagues to take away this option for draftees. Or simply apply some good old fashioned collusion to ice out the kids that try it unless they turn into a top talent. Anything to avoid treating minor leaguers better.

Edited by Taildragger8791, 22 May 2019 - 10:27 AM.

• Mike Sixel, gunnarthor and Eris like this

#12 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:27 PM

If this started to catch on with high-end prospects I imagine MLB will try to negotiate with foreign leagues to take away this option for draftees. Or simply apply some good old fashioned collusion to ice out the kids that try it unless they turn into a top talent. Anything to avoid treating minor leaguers better.

Possible. But it's also going to be rare. The Japanese league only allows four foreigners per team so they can't just stock up on young overseas talent. But if I'm a late round pick and could get a deal like Stewart got, I'm taking it. If I'm a top 10 pick, I'd probably stay.

#13 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• Members
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:35 PM

And in the process, he's made three million more.... So, yes, that's the worst case. He makes three million more.... No matter what.

Not no matter what--perhaps I explained it poorly.There is a possibility wherein he develops in the US far better than in Japan, and therefore over his career would make more having made less to start.

#14 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,040 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:31 AM

Good decision for him financially. He'll get valuable life experience abroad, and if he plays well, enter free agency at 25. Win win.

#15 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,222 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:15 AM

Good decision for him financially. He'll get valuable life experience abroad, and if he plays well, enter free agency at 25. Win win.

If someone will pay the posting fee and his team is willing to post him...

#16 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,720 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 26 May 2019 - 06:59 AM

this wil be interesting to watch... Stewart seems to have found a way around the draft... would be interesting to see if a lot of guys slated late first round through the 3rd round decide this is a better deal

I think the timeline is a bit aggressive here too for what it's worth, but a good read:

http://www.espn.com/...aft-upside-down

#17 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,222 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 09:22 AM

One thing I've heard multiple times already since this deal was signed...MLB teams won't be in a hurry to bring Stewart back and set a new precedent, so this discussion about him being able to return at 25 as a free agent requires his Japanese club posting him, which is not guaranteed, and it also requires MLB teams bidding, and that very well could be another issue, with no rules governing a concerted effort by the league not to bid on a player put up for posting by a Japanese team, so that level of collusion is completely legal in the agreement with NPB.

• ashbury likes this

#18 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,241 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:43 AM

One thing I've heard multiple times already since this deal was signed...MLB teams won't be in a hurry to bring Stewart back and set a new precedent, so this discussion about him being able to return at 25 as a free agent requires his Japanese club posting him, which is not guaranteed, and it also requires MLB teams bidding, and that very well could be another issue, with no rules governing a concerted effort by the league not to bid on a player put up for posting by a Japanese team, so that level of collusion is completely legal in the agreement with NPB.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, and your level of paranoia... seems just about right in this case. :)

I don't have to tell you it goes without saying there are some things better left unsaid. I think that speaks for itself. The less said about it, the better. -- George Carlin

#19 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 01:39 PM

The only source for the contract is Passan.No one else has reported a dollar amount other than to quote Passan. Average wage for a player is about 300k. The 7 million for 6 years is way out of line for that.Historically Japan's teams other than the Giants have not made profits.My guess would be that what the contract has in it is language that Stewart can make 7 million if performances are met.The other way it would make sense is the team is betting on the posting system to recoup the money. High risk, high reward. That is betting Stewart can land a 35 million dollar contract. Kikutchi was a star pitcher and could land only a 43 million contract. Is Stewart's ceiling really that high?

Japan's major league rosters can have only 4 foreigners on it. The minor league teams can have as many as the team wants.

Edited by old nurse, 27 May 2019 - 01:43 PM.

#20 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,632 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 01:56 PM

No one else has reported a dollar amount other than to quote Passan. 

Not quite true. Jim Callis had an initial report that it was "over $4 million" too, which suggests that's could be the minimum guarantee, even if the Passan figure includes incentives or something.

https://twitter.com/...884119322333185