Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Let’s Talk About Byron Buxton’s Swing

byron buxton
  • Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:56 AM

Sure he looks better but is he hitting righties better? Someone needs to pull up those stats.

.252/.312/.496 vs RHP in 2019: OPS .808

.234/.284/.408 vs RHP career: OPS .693

so far this season he is destroying LHP (OPS of 1.026) in a small sample. Career, he's shown almost no platoon split. It will be interesting to see where that lands by season's end with a more representative sample on the LHP.

The approach looks great this year. Every time I see him lay off that damn low & away slider and made good contact on balls in the zone, I start to believe.

• Twins33 and MN_ExPat like this

#22 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:58 AM

Should put a disclaimer on that: When he puts the ball in the air, he is hitting the ball further.

2016: 279 feet

2017: 283 feet

2018: 280 feet

2019: 303 feet

Get it. He's putting the ball in the air a bit more...and he's making contact toward the barrel more consistently. So, ON AVERAGE, the ball is traveling further. Seems real and material. But the point I was trying to make was...that often when you simplify/shorten the swing (eliminate leg kicks, other triggers etc.) you diminish the ability to hit the ball over the fence...for a period of time, as you adjust. This seems to have been the case with Buxton, particularly for the first several weeks of the season. But he's showing signs of figuring out that part of it, as well.

#23 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:04 AM

I think an underrated aspect has also been the ability to go out every day and play.Reps mean improvement, more reps means more improvement.

He's still better against lefties (1.026 OPS) than righties, but his .808 OPS against righties is quite good.He's doing very well when pulling the ball (1.362 OPS), and has actually thrived in high leverage situations (1.681 OPS)

• bluechipper and DocBauer like this

#24 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:46 AM

Did the changes come with a frozen yogurt? 

it makes me happy when people get the simpsons references.

• LimestoneBaggy, James and woolywoolhouse like this

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#25 dbminn

dbminn

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 694 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:46 AM

Great analysis, as always, Parker.

Buxton has worked hard to improve his swing, he's healthy and now he's confident at the plate. A great combination.

• Jerr and Nine of twelve like this

#26 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:47 AM

Of all this incredible analysis, my one take away is our wives are of similar taste: "...on again/off-again Ross-and-Rachel relationship."

Unless of course you're the Friends fan of the house?

i wouldn't say i'm a fan as much as i would say i fully lived hard through that pop culture phenomenon and i don't have any fresh references. 

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#27 GCTF

GCTF

Wasting Your Time

• Members
  • 2,907 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:51 PM

Did the changes come with a frozen yogurt? 

The yogurt is also cursed.

• Parker Hageman, LimestoneBaggy and James like this

Endut! Hoch Hech!

#28 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:00 PM

He had a very nice swing in the minors. It's possible the Twins overcoached him and he simply went back to his old swing, which he knew worked.

When has been hitting poorly it seems like he can't even see the ball.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#29 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,147 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:28 PM

Everything stated and displayed seems to make perfect sense. But along with those changes, I'm again reminded of something Cruz, reportedly, asks Buxton on a constant basis:

"Did you go up there with a plan? Did you have fun?"

Being healthy and playing daily...building on experience...along with these changes has to make a difference. I believe he came in to this season with only about 1,000 career AB
  • Jerr likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#30 nater79a

nater79a

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:39 PM

In the first clip I noticed how Buxton's right shoulder and elbow really dropped (previously) as opposed to how it is now - stays more level. Is this a separate change from the three specific things you discussed, or is it related to the stretch point?

#31 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 4,206 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:47 PM

I agree that Buxton has fixed his swing. In fact, a man with a swing like that belongs a lot higher in the lineup than ninth. Given what we've seen so far this season, I would go

1. Polanco. Switch hitter, highest avg, good all around offensive player.

2. Buxton. Great swing, fast as hell on base.

3. Rosario v. righties /Cron v. lefties.

4. Cruz.

5 thru 8...whatever, tinker with it.

9. Kepler. Good reverse leadoff for Polanco.

• ericchri and Nine of twelve like this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#32 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 02:03 PM

Changes look pretty similar to what Trevor Plouffe did before his breakout. Like the analysis Parker.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#33 Ole St Carleton

Ole St Carleton

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 02:31 PM

Am I the only one in Twinsville who thinks he could take to the next level by adding one thing? The BUNT!

I think Carew would back me up.

• Jerr, DocBauer and wsnydes like this

#34 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,671 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 20 May 2019 - 02:32 PM

Am I the only one in Twinsville who thinks he could take to the next level by adding one thing? The BUNT!

Given his speed, I agree that he should have it at his disposal, especially when the bases are empty or there's a shift on. 

#35 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 02:35 PM

In the first clip I noticed how Buxton's right shoulder and elbow really dropped (previously) as opposed to how it is now - stays more level. Is this a separate change from the three specific things you discussed, or is it related to the stretch point?

It's all related really. Previously we see that Buxton used his arms more independently in the swing, casting a bit. Now it's a more connected turn of the arms and then straight through with the bat instead of rotating right after contact.

• nater79a likes this

#36 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:03 PM

A couple of weeks ago I watched sort of a highlight reel of Baldelli as a player.His stance and mechanics were eerily similar to Buxton's

#37 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:11 PM

Interesting little clip I just found.Not as much like Buck on this one, but I see a bit of a resemblance.Look at the cast of characters from the 2004 season, I think

• ashbury likes this

#38 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:12 PM

Henry Blanco behind the plate!

• ashbury likes this

#39 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,822 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 20 May 2019 - 07:17 PM

Now wait just a doggone minute. This username...I am the father of a Carl who graduated in 2017 and an Ole who has just finished her sophomore year. Can you top that?

#40 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,928 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:11 PM

He's laying off the pitches down-and-away. He's not swinging through pitches down the middle. Let's see LaVelle dispute that.

That's the biggest change, and most encouraging, IYAM.

I thought the laying off pitches down and away was the biggest and most encouraging change.(Cue the tastes great/less filling argument.)

• ashbury and Jerr like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: byron buxton