Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

From MinnCentric

Photo

Gleeman And The Geek: What Team Should We Have Predicted?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

Three teams surprised Aaron and John (and all of MLB, really): Baltimore, Oakland and Boston. Each outpaced Vegas by 20 games. Which should we have seen coming?

#2 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:49 AM

Boston might have been the easist when Valentine started getting on players in spring training. The club sort of quit, which has lead to the purge and now the probable firing at the end of the year. Baltimore and Oakland would have been hard to figure out, but both are built on pitching(note to the Twins)

#3 glanzer

glanzer

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

I don't think that any one of these three could have been predicted to the extent that they have played, but Boston's poor season I suppose is the least surprising of the three. I didn't figure they'd have 90+ losses, but Bobby V as manager never felt right, and to start the season with a couple of key injuries left them a little short of a playoff team in my opinion. I never imagined we'd see a largely unrecognizable lineup this time of year, though... I mean Danny Valencia batting fifth for them yesterday?

#4 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

I suppose it always seems like we should have predicted a collapse more than a surge. To be honest, to this day I'm not totally sure how the Orioles and A's are doing it. And I'm not sure I trust them to do it again next year.