Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 18, SEA 4: Sharks Eat Mariners

byron buxton c.j. cron jonathan schoop austin adams luis arraez
  • Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• 698 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:35 AM

"Tater Brigade!"

https://theathletic....cord-onslaught/
  • bighat likes this

#22 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 625 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:55 AM

As I mentioned yesterday, I live in Maine so the game started at 10:10. I tuned in just as the first inning ended and only managed to watch two innings. But what a two innings! Five homeruns and 10 runs scored. The Twins of the Killebrew era always epitomized what good Twins' teams should be, but this team is making the teams from the mid 60's look like banjo hitters. Glad I bought the MLBTV single team package this year.
  • Oldgoat_MN, bighat and MN_ExPat like this

#23 KFEY93

KFEY93

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 69 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:08 AM

Damn hildy has a 36.00 ERA in Rochester so far. (1 inning)

He's dead Jim. 

• Kelly Vance, Monkeypaws, Circus Boy and 3 others like this

#24 Linus

Linus

• 2,247 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:13 AM

Modern baseball. 4 pitchers used in a win where we scored 18 runs
  • ashbury, Jerr, Oldgoat_MN and 3 others like this

#25 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,446 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:15 AM

According to the box score Berrios was lifted after giving up two runs but with at least two runners on base. Duffey let two inherited runners score. I listened for a while and indeed it was a tough slog for Berrios, but I think we do need to keep a sharp eye on those inherited runners scored. Earned runs is hiding deep flaws in this bullpen. Falvey needs to get reinforcements fast.

Did you watch the game?

Duffey was really good.

He came in with two runners on base and got an easy foul ball pop up that Sano dropped. Instead of folding he fought back to strike out the batter leaving the two inherited runners stranded.

In his second inning a great pitch busts the bat of the lead off hitter and the balls falls weakly just over Cron’s glove for a hit. The second guy hits an easy come backer and he throws to second for a possible DP. Arraez drops the throw. He doesn’t fold and strikes out two of the next three with the third out being an easy come backer to the mound.
  • SQUIRREL, ashbury, Han Joelo and 8 others like this

#26 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• 913 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:16 AM

What are they going to do with Cron? An .841 ops and on pace for 48 dingers? Looks like he's ARB 3 next year so we have basically an option on him an Perez. Damn these moves look good! With a complete free agent washout last year but a reset button for this year. Pinch me. The one holdover was Addison and they didn't waste any time (or losses) on eating that deal. Again pinch me!
  • Jerr, Dozier's Glorious Hair, ToddlerHarmon and 5 others like this

#27 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 584 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:30 AM

What a difference a year makes!!

I do remember sleepless in Seattle last year.

2018 (3 games)
Record 0-3
Runs 5
Hits 12
HRs 1

That wasn't fun for us fans and it probably wasn't much for Twins players either. It was dreadful.

2019... awesome!
Record 3-0
Runs 36
Hits 45
HRs 11
  • bighat and Original Whizzinator like this

#28 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• 1,663 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:41 AM

Did you watch the game?

Duffey was really good.

He came in with two runners on base and got an easy foul ball pop up that Sano dropped. Instead of folding he fought back to strike out the batter leaving the two inherited runners stranded.

In his second inning a great pitch busts the bat of the lead off hitter and the balls falls weakly just over Cron’s glove for a hit. The second guy hits an easy come backer and he throws to second for a possible DP. Arraez drops the throw. He doesn’t fold and strikes out two of the next three with the third out being an easy come backer to the mound.

Thanks for this.  Duffey has got to realize this his chance to finally establish his presence with authority.

• SQUIRREL, Circus Boy, bighat and 1 other like this

#29 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• 913 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:48 AM

I'm really glad we've got a 3 o'clock start today. That's a payback for the late West coast start times and a perfect Sunday start. Not so early you can't get anything done.
  • bighat likes this

#30 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• 423 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:55 AM

"The Grain Belters"

"Mill City Mashers"

"First Avenue Heavy"

Too bad for Berrios....but eh, he'll get over it. Honestly sitting so long between innings had to throw him off. He pitched like a guy with a 15-0 lead: throw it down the middle and just let the other guys swing. I see no reason to worry at all about him.

Good grief that was fun to watch. Buxton and Sano going yard, Bux with a grand salami! We are doing this all without Cruz and Garver. Castro is having a career year at the plate. Adrianza is our worst offensive player? Oh yeah he went yard Friday and drove in a pair.

Offensively I say keep these guys intact. Nobody needs replacing, don't mess with it. Deal some minor leaguers for a lights out bullpen guy or 2 at the deadline and just go for it.

You know... they could sign Kimbrel after the draft.

Yes, an excellent plan Smithers! I'm glad I thought of it!:)

• Circus Boy, bighat and caninatl04 like this

#31 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,284 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:14 AM

In the postgame interview, the way Byron looked at Miguel when the latter was speaking, followed by Byron calling Miguel his brother, pretty much can not be faked. Just two of the guys, so I'm extrapolating, but looks like the chemistry you want after a big win - everyone happy for each other, not just for themselves.

• ToddlerHarmon, bighat, MN_ExPat and 2 others like this

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#32 ToddlerHarmon

ToddlerHarmon

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 93 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:15 AM

What are they going to do with Cron? An .841 ops and on pace for 48 dingers? Looks like he's ARB 3 next year so we have basically an option on him an Perez. Damn these moves look good! With a complete free agent washout last year but a reset button for this year. Pinch me. The one holdover was Addison and they didn't waste any time (or losses) on eating that deal. Again pinch me!

Actual question here: does it work that way? I was walking around assuming that once a team non-tenders you, you are a free agent and are contract-to-contract forevermore.

But I agree that Falvine decided on a simple definition of low-risk contract: two years or less. And be willing to cut bait on a poor performer even within that short time frame. A simple concept - merit based pay, but it is working out spectacularly.

• MN_ExPat, Original Whizzinator and Aerodeliria like this

#33 BoofBonser

BoofBonser

(not really Boof Bonser)

• 870 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:19 AM

Anyone who stayed up have any extra observations on Adams?

His fastball is straight but has a ton of velo... I believe he hit 98 multiple times

I also liked that he attacked hitters every at-bat; The Twins may have something here

Edited by BoofBonser, 19 May 2019 - 10:19 AM.

• Danchat, Monkeypaws, Circus Boy and 4 others like this

#34 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• 913 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:23 AM

Actual question here: does it work that way? I was walking around assuming that once a team non-tenders you, you are a free agent and are contract-to-contract forevermore.

But I agree that Falvine decided on a simple definition of low-risk contract: two years or less. And be willing to cut bait on a poor performer even within that short time frame. A simple concept - merit based pay, but it is working out spectacularly.

According to Sportrac he's ARB 3 in 2020.
  • ToddlerHarmon likes this

#35 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 2,822 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:30 AM

Per Dustin Morse's Twitter, interesting bullpen stat:

Blake Parker 1.17 ERA (12Ks)

Taylor Rogers 1.47 ERA (25Ks)

Ryne Harper 1.50 ERA (14Ks)

Mike Morin 1.50 ERA (5Ks)

Matt Magill 2.00 ERA (12Ks)

Trevor May 2.76 ERA (15Ks)

• Oldgoat_MN, Monkeypaws, Circus Boy and 3 others like this

#36 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 2,822 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:32 AM

In the postgame interview, the way Byron looked at Miguel when the latter was speaking, followed by Byron calling Miguel his brother, pretty much can not be faked. Just two of the guys, so I'm extrapolating, but looks like the chemistry you want after a big win - everyone happy for each other, not just for themselves.

I remember an article about them in the STrib - maybe 5-6 years ago when they were both playing A ball. They used to hang out and go fishing together down in Florida during the season to kill time and hang out before games and on off days. They've been tight for a while.

• ashbury, Circus Boy, Hosken Bombo Disco and 3 others like this

#37 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,718 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:12 AM

He didn't reach free agency though. The Twins claimed him off waivers. Had he gone unclaimed instead, he'd then have become a free agent, and would no longer be arbitration eligible.
  • ToddlerHarmon and Original Whizzinator like this

#38 ScooterDance

ScooterDance

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 209 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:24 AM

It makes me very happy that Cron is under team control beyond this year.
  • Dozier's Glorious Hair and Original Whizzinator like this

#39 mrtwinsfan

mrtwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,378 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:17 PM

Band of BoomSticks

#40 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,109 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:40 PM

Did you watch the game?

Duffey was really good.

Two nit-picks here. Cron wasn't on the field except to hit (DH last night) and Duffey was fine, but threw a lot of pitches. I didn't think he was dominant, but he did get the job done.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: byron buxton, c.j. cron, jonathan schoop, austin adams, luis arraez