Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Is it too early to talk about Twins 2019 All Stars?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,027 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 05:09 AM

The game is almost two months away and obviously a lot can happen in that time.

As of now, I would say Polanco and Garver (depending on how long he is out) are lead pipe locks.

Buxton and Cruz have a shot, as does CJ Cron. Rosario right now is a long shot.

It’s too early to call any of the pitchers locks. However, Berrios, Odorizzi and Perez are all strong candidates.

Middle relievers have a so-so history of making it. That said, Taylor Rogers has a shot. I don’t think you want to know who his biggest competition would be, but I’ll bet you can guess.
  • glunn likes this

#2 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Twins Mods
  • 4,608 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 18 May 2019 - 05:43 AM

As of now, I would say Polanco and Garver (depending on how long he is out) are lead pipe locks.

It’s too early to call any of the pitchers locks. However, Berrios, Odorizzi and Perez are all strong candidates.

Middle relievers have a so-so history of making it. That said, Taylor Rogers has a shot. I don’t think you want to know who his biggest competition would be, but I’ll bet you can guess.

I’m not sure how more than one player can be considered a lead pipe “cinch”. It is to an extent a vote, and the Twins are only guaranteed one spot.

The fans of other teams must be like us, waiting for the Twins to prove it.

Cruz is the most likely candidate, as the most recognizable player.

If Garver recovers from his IL stint quickly and hits like he has been, he’s my prediction for a second hitter.

Polanco should be, but there’s a ton of more recognizable competition at short.
  • glunn, dgwills, ToddlerHarmon and 1 other like this

#3 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 14,176 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:20 AM

players playing at an all star level and making the team are two different things unfortunately. Fan voting always puts a scrub or two in there as well, and some guys on our team are having an all star first half but have never done something like that before... That tends to work against you. 

Let's see:

Locks (as of today):

Polanco (he should be starting, whether fans agree is something else)

Strong consideration. Any one of these guys (no particular order) could make a case given their current numbers:

Garver (would be a lock and a starter if not for the injury)

Castro (this is weird, but an OPS north of 1.0 and above average defense puts him here)

Rodgers

Berrios

Odorizzi (I had do a double take here, but he's been as good as Jose so far this year)

Perez (he's right behind the other two)

Buxton

Weaker case but should be considered

Rosario. He's putting a typical Rosie season with a .300 OBP and a SLG over .500. That was the obligatory pick a year ago, but way too many more teammates deserve it, not to mention there's competition. Unless he goes on a hot streak, I don't think he's in consideration. He's one of the AL leaders in HRs, so that probably works to his favor. I could see him getting an invite to the derby. 

Cruz. DH only guys don't usually make it, but a case could be made here, especially if he bounces back from his injury.

• glunn and 70charger like this

#4 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,509 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 May 2019 - 09:30 PM

17rh62 (1).jpg

Berrios and Polanco!
  • glunn, gunnarthor, Puckett34 and 3 others like this

#5 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,826 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:16 AM

Twins have 9 guys on pace for 4+ WAR seasons so they certainly have a lot of deserving players. By fWAR, Buxton and Polanco are both top 10 in the AL. By position

C - Garver is #1

1B - Cron is #4

2B - Shoop is #6

SS - Polanco is #1

3B - Gonzalez is #10

LF - Rosario is #5

CF - Buxton is #4 (behind Joey Gallo and George Springer who are listed as CF?)

RF - Kepler is #10

OF - Buxton #4, Rosario #15, Kepler #21

Right now, I think Polanco, Buxton and Garver would make the team. Berrios has had a few clunkers but is also in the mix. It would be hard to send three players so guys like Cron and Rosario are probably out of luck despite having pretty good years.

• glunn, dgwills and dbminn like this

#6 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,863 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:13 PM

Four pitching candidates, too--Berríos, Pérez, Odorizzi and Rogers.

It's really too soon to pick All-Stars, but a team with one of the best records in MLB should be a candidate to have at least three All-Stars.

• glunn and Danchat like this

#7 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,027 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:12 PM

Four pitching candidates, too--Berríos, Pérez, Odorizzi and Rogers.

It's really too soon to pick All-Stars, but a team with one of the best records in MLB should be a candidate to have at least three All-Stars.

In 2001, the Mariners had 8.
  • IMissJoeMauer likes this

#8 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 03:29 PM

Players are chosen primarily by voting.

Thus, first you'd have to look at which Twins players people outside of Minnesota have ever heard of.

Then you have to look at which Twins players people outside of Minnesota have heard enough about to either know they are good or follow them enough to know they are good now.

Then you have to look at which Twins players fans would put above the players on their own teams or in their own divisions.

Then you have to consider the position. Certain players check all of the above boxes and will always go.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#9 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,027 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 03:30 PM

Players are chosen primarily by voting.

Thus, first you'd have to look at which Twins players people outside of Minnesota have ever heard of.

Then you have to look at which Twins players people outside of Minnesota have heard enough about to either know they are good or follow them enough to know they are good now.

Then you have to look at which Twins players fans would put above the players on their own teams or in their own divisions.

Then you have to consider the position. Certain players check all of the above boxes and will always go.

9 of the 32 players on the roster are voted by fans. Meaning 23 are not.
  • USAFChief, Danchat and IMissJoeMauer like this

#10 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 07:57 AM

I don't like the chances of any of our guys starting because of fan vote

#11 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:20 AM

I would say Trout, George Springer, and Joey Gallo are locks for the outfield. Buxton will be in a popularity contest that includes Michael Brantley, Mookie Betts, Mitch Haniger, Andrew Benintendi and Aaron Judge (if he's healthy).He can't even really claim the breakout player prospective since Alex Gordon has been reborn and Austin Meadows is also breaking out in a big way. I would say his best chances are as a reserve but odds have to be low.

Boston catcher Christian Vasquez has a higher fWAR than Garver with Robinson Chirinos and James McCann close behind. The position also has Gary Sanchez as the likely popularity leader. Garver has a shot but the quicker he returns the better.

Polanco should be the easiest choice but Bogaerts and Correa have star power and are having great seasons as well. Lindor will also probably see his share of votes. I think reason will prevail here and Polanco has a good chance at a roster spot (even if he settles for the 3rd SS).

Nelson Cruz should be in. JD Martinez is probably a lock as the starting DH. Volgelbach might be his only competition after that.He should make it.

I am calling Berrios, Cruz, Polanco and Rogers the likely All Stars.With Garver more likely than Buxton as fringe players.

• glunn likes this

#12 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,027 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:41 AM

I don't like the chances of any of our guys starting because of fan vote

I doubt any start either. Buxton or Cruz MAYBE. And that’s a big maybe.

#13 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,242 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 20 May 2019 - 07:37 PM

I'm chiming in to say that I think this makes so little difference that it's barely worth discussing, with the exception of players whose contracts reward them for being named. 

Edited by Nine of twelve, 20 May 2019 - 07:37 PM.

#14 GP830

GP830

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:40 AM

Polanco and Berrios seem locks to me. Possibly even starters. Depending on Garver's timeline, I could see him making it too. 

• Danchat likes this

#15 FlauerPauer

FlauerPauer

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 641 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:54 PM

What if the Twins are 20 games over .500 at that point or 25 games over at that point? Winners have had seem to get more guys into the game than teams with losing records, mostly because winning teams have good players.

I personally see at least three Twins making the team assuming there isn't an incredible dropoff in production:

Odorizzi

Buxton

Polanco

No reason that one or two of Cron, Parker, Rogers, Garver/Castro, Berrios, Perez couldn't make it as well. 

Ya really just love to see it that there are so many guys having great years on the Twins. Reality though is that the All-Star game isn't necessarily the best players, but the most popular.

Edited by FlauerPauer, 21 May 2019 - 06:56 PM.

#16 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:49 PM

Ya really just love to see it that there are so many guys having great years on the Twins.

This is the formula for a great year. Have good players with most of them performing at their ceilings.

#17 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:00 PM

Reality though is that the All-Star game isn't necessarily the best players, but the most popular.

It's worse than that. The starters are the most popular and a significant number of reserves are the least mediocre players on bad teams.

Here's my proposal (which has no chance of coming to pass):

Two players at each defensive position plus two DH's. Nine pitchers. The DH is always used. Players are selected via some sort of statistical formula including games through the Sunday nine days before the game. The formula would be different for each position, for example defense would be more important for SS, CF and C. There would be no requirement for each team to have one player on the roster. Starters play the first four innings, the other players plays the other 5 (or 4 if the home team leads after 8.5).Each pitcher pitches one inning. If it's tied after 9 it's a tie, because the game is just for fun.

This would be a true All-Star game, not the travesty that currently masquerades as such.

*Steps off soapbox and prepares to be pelted with overripe tomatoes*

#18 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,027 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 03:22 PM

It's worse than that. The starters are the most popular and a significant number of reserves are the least mediocre players on bad teams.
Here's my proposal (which has no chance of coming to pass):
Two players at each defensive position plus two DH's. Nine pitchers. The DH is always used. Players are selected via some sort of statistical formula including games through the Sunday nine days before the game. The formula would be different for each position, for example defense would be more important for SS, CF and C. There would be no requirement for each team to have one player on the roster. Starters play the first four innings, the other players plays the other 5 (or 4 if the home team leads after 8.5).Each pitcher pitches one inning. If it's tied after 9 it's a tie, because the game is just for fun.
This would be a true All-Star game, not the travesty that currently masquerades as such.
*Steps off soapbox and prepares to be pelted with overripe tomatoes*

The point of the All Star game is to get people to watch it and promote the sport. I guess I agree with MLB that the best way to do that is let them see who they want to see.

Taking a look at the 2019 Twins, I’d say Odorizzi and Polanco are sure things. Garver is probable. Buxton and Rogers are possible. Berrios and Rosario have a shot.

#19 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 03:45 PM

The point of the All Star game is to get people to watch it and promote the sport.

The point of the All Star game is to make money. The way MLB makes money is to get people to watch it. The reasoning behind allowing the fans to choose the starters is that the players who get the most votes are the players who will attract the most viewers. Promoting the sport is also to make money, but it's a longer-term approach. I know this is all obvious, but I just wish it could be an actual All Star game. 

#20 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,027 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:24 PM

Kepler is making a late push for consideration. I would say he has definitely surpassed Rosario in the pecking order. Max is still a long shot though I think. Lots of good OFers. And that is often where the token one guy from a bad team fits in.

FWIW, Kepler is currently second among AL OFers in fWAR behind only Trout, and that was going into tonight. Buxton is third...