Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 11, SEA 6: Total System Failure (for the Other Guys)

c.j. cron michael pineda byron buxton max kepler jason castro
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 KFEY93

KFEY93

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:15 AM

Cruz had a sore wrist. He'll likely be back in the lineup today or tomorrow - Twins were just giving him some extra rest. He can play outfield and not drop routine fly balls if needed.

Garver's out until June 1 at least. Unfortunate.

With this line up, its not really a big deal. 

#22 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 22,378 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:55 AM

It shouldn't be overlooked how important Pineda's performance was last night. The Twins haven't had a day off in a week and won't get a day off for another week. Their pen was shaken up quite a bit by that Angels series and they're in the first game of a seven game road stretch.

Going seven innings is a really big deal in that situation.

• ashbury, Danchat, Dman and 5 others like this

#23 rghrbek

rghrbek

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:36 AM

Pen still an issue.  Last two games should have been easy wins, but runs late show the lack of depth in the pen.  I'm afraid what we are going to get from Duffy is what we saw last night.  Inconsistency.  Hildy is the better pitcher with the better track record.  We need him to figure it back out down in AAA.

We also should be looking for a better than average arm.  Surprised Adams did not come in the game last night to get his feet wet.  Know he is a vet, but low leverage probably a good spot.  Not very excited about him on the staff.

#24 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,277 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:45 AM

Surprised Adams did not come in the game last night to get his feet wet.

Both teams should have pitched their respective Austin Adamses. :)

• rghrbek and MN_ExPat like this

#25 mini_tb

mini_tb

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:50 AM

9 total bases out of Sano and Buxton.How many times do you suppose we saw that in 2018?

• birdwatcher likes this

#26 arby58

arby58

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:51 AM

This is the spot that gets upgraded as the Twins approach the trade deadline. Until then, I feel good about Pineda's production, at the bottom of the rotation. In poker terms, Pineda is a "hold" card in a five-card hand. In July, we "deal" for a new card, and raise.

Given the fact that Pineda missed an entire season, it's also possible he will get better as the year goes on.Three solo HRs isn't that big of a deal when you've got a big lead - much more important that he gave them 7 innings.

• MN_ExPat likes this

#27 joefish

joefish

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:15 AM

Loving the offense. Loving the optimism. Loving the depth.
It's do or die time for Duffey. He has nothing to prove in AAA. figure it out,Duff. You are on borrowed time.
GoBats.

#28 dbminn

dbminn

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 739 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:17 PM

LaTroy is excellent. Not far removed from the players and someone who hung around the majors for a long time. I really like his perspective.

Morneau is far better than I would have thought. I'd rather have Hawkins and Morneau than any of the other color analysts we've seen in the past few years (exception of Jim Kaat--far and away the best color guy still living).

I agree. Hawkins and Morneau rotating as color analyst. Jim Kaat can sit in anytime he pleases.

• MN_ExPat likes this

#29 REPETE

REPETE

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:19 PM

Castro has an OPS of 1.025 this year lol. Not sure if he was feeling the heat from Garver or playing for his next contract but he's mashing in limited action this year. Platooning your catcher seems like a great idea though. 

Also, how many Twins will be represented at the allstar game this year? I would think Polanco is a lock while Odor is among the league leaders in various pitching categories. Anyone else I'm missing?

MLB.com had an article the other day "who's your ASG starters?"  

one Twin mentioned...Polanco.  

#30 dbminn

dbminn

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 739 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:22 PM

It shouldn't be overlooked how important Pineda's performance was last night. The Twins haven't had a day off in a week and won't get a day off for another week. Their pen was shaken up quite a bit by that Angels series and they're in the first game of a seven game road stretch.

Going seven innings is a really big deal in that situation.

And Pineda didn't have to be a hero to get through seven. 91 low-stress pitches is no more than a good night's work. Baldelli has to be happy with the start.

#31 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:38 PM

Cruz had a sore wrist. He'll likely be back in the lineup today or tomorrow - Twins were just giving him some extra rest. He can play outfield and not drop routine fly balls if needed.

Garver's out until June 1 at least. Unfortunate.

Well, your intel, or guess? is half right....... maybe?

I am glad that they put Cruz on the IL today. A 3 man bench is already too small, 2 is ridiculous. And that is what it was for 4 games. 

Edited by h2oface, 17 May 2019 - 02:01 PM.

#32 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:41 PM

Damn. It looks like I get Odorizzi, Pineda, and Perez in LA next week. I was hoping for Berrios, Gibson, and Odorizzi. Oh well. I guess it won't be as bad as having to pay to watch Colon pitch.:roll:  I am even looking forward to see how Perez and Odorizzi do live.

#33 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:58 PM

I love being wrong on a negative prediction and am happy to eat crow on thinking the Twins would lose if Sano started his first game back. I would be very happy to be wrong on my other reservations about Sano. He does look to be in good shape based on video clips. Time will tell but last night speaks for itself. Twins now on another 3 game streak and nice to have big enough leads to give the pen a little leeway.

See how Perex does tonight. Go Twins!

Sano arrived before the game on Wednesday, and was in the dugout. I think if you want to count that as his first game back, you wouldn't be wrong. They purposely had him relax and watch. Unless you had a prediction for his second game back, save your crow eating for later. I hope you get a big helping. Looking forward to seeing this new guy, Perex.:P

Edited by h2oface, 17 May 2019 - 02:02 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: c.j. cron, michael pineda, byron buxton, max kepler, jason castro