Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Official: Addison Reed DFAd

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,437 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:26 PM

No surprise, but veteran reliever Addison Reed was Designated for Assignment to make room for Austin Adams.

Reed had begun his rehab with the Red Wings. Some say he'd hit 88 and 89. From watching a couple of his outings, I saw 86-87. 

It's too bad. Injuries stink. 

• glunn, jimbo92107, Mike Frasier Law and 4 others like this

#2 TheMatt

TheMatt

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:34 PM

Didn't work out but I still think it was a great signing/contract.
  • Steve Lein, USAFChief, glunn and 22 others like this

#3 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,729 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:05 PM

I hate the humans get hurt in jobs that are about entertaining us.....hate it.

• jorgenswest, glunn, diehardtwinsfan and 9 others like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

#4 twins_89

twins_89

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:06 PM

The Twins off-season reliever plan is rapidly falling apart. Reed and De Jong have pitched themselves off the 40 man roster. Romero, Vasquez, Hildenberger, and Mejia are deservedly off the 25 man roster. I doubt anyone has much faith in Harper, Morin, Magill, Duffey, or Adams in high leverage situations. That leaves Rogers, Parker, and May to carry the load in close games. Overall, the bullpen has been OK so far this season, but it's highly questionable that the group can maintain an acceptable degree of success going forward.

Edited by twins_89, 16 May 2019 - 02:08 PM.

• glunn, gil4, beckmt and 7 others like this

#5 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,239 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:07 PM

Didn't work out but I still think it was a great signing/contract.

Concur. Just because it didn't work out with Reed doesn't mean the Twins should stop pursuing talented free agents in the future.
  • glunn, ScrapTheNickname, gil4 and 6 others like this

#6 MNT1996

MNT1996

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:08 PM

I hate the humans get hurt in jobs that are about entertaining us.....hate it.

Part of professional sports. They make millions of dollars so I don't feel all that bad about it. He'll be just fine.

• Aichiman likes this

#7 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,729 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:12 PM

Part of professional sports. They make millions of dollars so I don't feel all that bad about it. He'll be just fine.

that's brutal. And cold, about a human getting hurt.

• Wizard11 and railmarshalljon like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

#8 MNT1996

MNT1996

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:18 PM

Obviously I don't wish for anybody to get hurt, but professional sports (and many professions for that sake) are cutthroat. If you don't perform, then the team or company will fire you. Professional players are tremendously overcompensated in their paychecks for what they do and they understand the risks (injuries included) in what they signed up for. I have more sympathy for the laborers who put in the behind the scenes work day in and day out to keep this country running than a professional baseball player who is guaranteed 9 million and didn't perform because of a thumb injury. 

Edited by MNT1996, 16 May 2019 - 02:19 PM.

• Kevin, gil4, shimrod and 3 others like this

#9 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:36 PM

Only 30, but got paid...so, it will be interesting to see what he chooses to do. Clearly something happened around May of last year. Maybe he gets claimed. But if not, I think I'd try to take an entire season off and see if I could get a non-roster invite next spring. He has time (in his career) to get healthy. Twins didn't have time to wait, given their situation and the fact that he's not signed beyond this year. Either way, some rest without the pressure to rehab/perform might be the best thing for his career at this point. I hope so.

• glunn, stringer bell, Aichiman and 1 other like this

#10 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,318 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:39 PM

There's "hurt," and there's "hurt."

I have a hard time feeling terribly sorry for someone who is otherwise just fine, but lost his ability to throw a baseball over 90 MPH. His life hasn't been affected in any material way, other than perhaps his ability to earn additional millions of dollars.

I feel bad about someone who had their legs blown off in Iraq. That's hurt. 

• ashbury, birdwatcher, Thrylos and 19 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#11 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:42 PM

It was the right move to make at this time. Hate to see an injury lead to this but it happens. I wish Reed the best and maybe next year he can still come back and make it. Once the velocity goes it is hard but it can be done.
  • LA VIkes Fan likes this

#12 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:49 PM

I'm not surprised, and yet I am.Well, maybe he will go unclaimed, keep rehabbing, and make it back later this year.Best of luck.

• Nine of twelve and IMissJoeMauer like this

#13 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:02 PM

Mejia to IL. Romero optioned. Hildenberger optioned. Reed DFAd...

I’d say now’s a pretty good time to make a trade, right?
  • glunn, Danchat, Dman and 4 others like this

#14 ekuhne

ekuhne

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:04 PM

The Twins off-season reliever plan is rapidly falling apart. Reed and De Jong have pitched themselves off the 40 man roster. Romero, Vasquez, Hildenberger, and Mejia are deservedly off the 25 man roster. I doubt anyone has much faith in Harper, Morin, Magill, Duffey, or Adams in high leverage situations. That leaves Rogers, Parker, and May to carry the load in close games. Overall, the bullpen has been OK so far this season, but it's highly questionable that the group can maintain an acceptable degree of success going forward.

Harper has passed almost every test put in front of him so far. I agree that I wouldn't trust him much but I also haven't seen him pitch himself out of the role. The Bullpen has been lights out (minus Hildy) the past couple of weeks. Until they prove themselves otherwise, the stats speak for themselves in that those four have been solid major league relievers. All four of them have ERA+ of above 200 (Duffey with a small sample size and Magill with 197) and ERA's in the low 2s. 

• glunn, birdwatcher and brvama like this

#15 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:18 PM

A tip of the cap to Mr. Reed for showing up, working hard during his rehabilitation assignment, and pursuing his dream of a comeback. He can still work on that dream outside the Twins organization.

Also, a tip of the cap to Twins management for making the right baseball decision. This attention to prompt management of the 40-man roster may bode well for the Twins' commitment to winning as they are faced with more situations between now and the trade deadline. I can image a more cost-conscious scenario where the Twins might have taken their time, and Mr. Reed's future by trying to maximize their $16.75 million investment ($8+ million this year). The fact that Falvey and Lavine arrived at this decision, now, appears to reveal a commitment to win, now.
  • glunn, birdwatcher, Mike Sixel and 7 others like this

#16 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,729 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:18 PM

There's "hurt," and there's "hurt."

I have a hard time feeling terribly sorry for someone who is otherwise just fine, but lost his ability to throw a baseball over 90 MPH. His life hasn't been affected in any material way, other than perhaps his ability to earn additional millions of dollars.

I feel bad about someone who had their legs blown off in Iraq. That's hurt. 

Except we read all the time that these guys can't lift their arms in their 50s, and that the concussions (like Mauer) have lifelong consequences.

And, you can feel bad for more than 1 type of person getting hurt. That seems pretty obvious.

Whatever, ya'll don't feel bad for him getting hurt, your choice.

• 70charger, TheLeviathan, whosafraidofluigirussolo and 1 other like this

#17 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:19 PM

Oh, the humanity!

..... Wait .....

Reed DFA'd because of Hildenberger ...

Word play on Hildenberger's recent performances ....

Straight to hell with me .....

#18 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:21 PM

It is fair to question a few maintaining the success they've had but I would also question some of the others maintaining the degree of failure that they have achieved so far? There is no way that Hildenberger is an 8+ERA going forward (3.31 FIP, and career xFIP of 3.57). This is just a Just a bad stretch for him.

I'm not giving up on Hildenberger (14.0 IP), Romero (8.0 IP), Vasquez (0.0 IP), or Mejia (11.1 IP) at this point.I'm fairly confident that at least 2 of these players return and pitch respectably.

Edited by SomeGuy, 16 May 2019 - 03:33 PM.

• birdwatcher, adjacent, Dman and 1 other like this

#19 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,689 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:24 PM

The MLBTR article stated that, like any veteran with a certain number of service years, he could refuse an outright assignment and choose free agency. But would that mean forfeiting the remainder of his contract and hoping for the same or better from another team? The odds of that are so low as to not be worth mentioning in print, I would have thought.

It is amazing how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelet.

#20 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:25 PM

Harper has passed almost every test put in front of him so far. I agree that I wouldn't trust him much but I also haven't seen him pitch himself out of the role. The Bullpen has been lights out (minus Hildy) the past couple of weeks. Until they prove themselves otherwise, the stats speak for themselves in that those four have been solid major league relievers. All four of them have ERA+ of above 200 (Duffey with a small sample size and Magill with 197) and ERA's in the low 2s. 

8 of the 15 runners Harper has inherited have scored. That's 53.3%, and at one time it was 7 or 12!

So there is that test......... The teammates that got credit for those runs know that test. Early in the season, when Hildenberger was being praised (and a coulple of games he deserved praise), he had also given up 5 inherited runs, but his ERA was 0.00. Those stats speak for themselves, too, but are often disregarded, not included, or not even considered. That said, Harper is in the mix, and there are worse in the pen. 

May has inherited 10, and stranded them all!

32 year old Austin Adams? Who?

I think that even if one thought a signing was good, if it becomes a failure, then regardless of expectation, the fact is it was a failure, for whatever reason. It can't still be a good signing just because you thought at the time it was. But that is a part of the budget, or should be at least, just like surprise repairs to a rental building. So don't stop tying to get free agent help. Get Kimbrel.

Edited by h2oface, 16 May 2019 - 03:36 PM.

• Mike Sixel, tarheeltwinsfan, twins_89 and 1 other like this