Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/15): Sammons Spins and Cabezas Captivates for Affiliates on the Bump

minnesota twins cedar rapids pensacola fort myers rochester
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:52 AM

Austin Adams throws like 95-96. 28 K in 18 IP. That's a pretty live arm. Mason is low 90s.

The Twins are in a win-now situation this season, which is a good thing. That, to me, means just call up the guys that give you the best chance to win when they are asked to contribute. It's not about development at this point in the big leagues as it was when the team was bad. Adams has been good in AAA. He's got experience.

Also, since he is out of options, he's the kind of guy that you don't worry about DFAing when he isn't needed in the big league roster. And he probably clears and stays.

It seems a bit contradictory to me to say that he's the best player to help a contending team right now, while also saying he'd clear waivers if DFA'd. By definition, wouldn't he be claimed by a contender if he's good enough to help a contender win games?
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#22 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,290 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:28 PM

It seems a bit contradictory to me to say that he's the best player to help a contending team right now, while also saying he'd clear waivers if DFA'd. By definition, wouldn't he be claimed by a contender if he's good enough to help a contender win games?

Fair point, but the options on the 40-man roster are either injured or not performing, or guys they don't want to bring up to be the 25th man/final reliever option... or some combination of those things. 

• WLFINN likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, cedar rapids, pensacola, fort myers, rochester