Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Hildy optioned

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#61 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,426 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:57 PM

Who can come off the 40-man. Mejia needs to stay as long as injured. Ready to say goodbye to Moya? Any of Cave, Wade or Torreyes? 

Can Littell come out of the pen? Can Stewart come out of the pen? Do the Twins need...yes, they have run thru their bullpen pretty good in the last few games and Pineda pitches Thursday.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#62 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,060 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:24 PM

I feel bad for Hildy but I'm happy that they made the move because that's the way this is supposed to work. It didn't work this way last year.  

If you got someone with options who is struggling... there is no reason to not use an option... none. 

I view this as a roster management upgrade in fundamentals to the positive. .But yeah, I feel bad for Hildy.

So,

Dear Front Office,

Thank You for demanding performance from your players... now bring on the next guy. If you don't have a next guy... that's your fault.

This is the most important thing to note. Yes you could argue this is a game or two late but the bottom line is last year it wouldn't have happened and they would still be running him out there.
  • Riverbrian likes this

#63 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,564 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:34 AM

Who can come off the 40-man. Mejia needs to stay as long as injured. Ready to say goodbye to Moya? Any of Cave, Wade or Torreyes? 

Can Littell come out of the pen? Can Stewart come out of the pen? Do the Twins need...yes, they have run thru their bullpen pretty good in the last few games and Pineda pitches Thursday.

I was wondering the same things.I think they should call up Littell/Stewart, or even Moya, as an emergency arm out of the pen, and Romero is eligible to be recalled, they'll make that move. 

It might be good for someone like Moya to have a few days with Wes Johnson given his struggles; it there's a purpose to a limited recall, let it be development.

#64 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,060 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:23 AM

The trade deadline is coming up I would like to see a trade for a guy who is dealing this year. A guy who is hot right now. Not Kimbrel. If you can over pay without touching the top ten golden children I'm in. Package 2-3 guys reated 10-30. Let's go!

#65 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,060 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:24 AM

I can see Hildy back up sometime but only if they can figure out a way to use him. He looked really good at times this year under tense conditions then.... IDK maybe those who say a guy like him can't have enduring success are right. Time will tell

#66 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,267 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:45 AM

Pitches thrown side armed must be ineffective, or more pitchers would be throwing them.  

#67 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,360 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:52 AM

The trade deadline is coming up I would like to see a trade for a guy who is dealing this year. A guy who is hot right now. Not Kimbrel. If you can over pay without touching the top ten golden children I'm in. Package 2-3 guys reated 10-30. Let's go!

The trade deadline is 2.5 months away.

"Package 2-3 guys reated 10-30." 

I don't think that gets it done. "Packaging" more minor league filler isn't going to interest anyone. If that worked, why not just "package" 5-6 guys rated 31-60? 10-12 guys rated 100-150?

• Mike Sixel, Puckett34 and Tomj14 like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#68 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,954 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:13 AM

Pitches thrown side armed must be ineffective, or more pitchers would be throwing them.

There have been many effective sidearmers but it’s hard to have success, particularly against opposite side hitters. They get a good, long look at the ball as it swings around the side of the body.

#69 Tomj14

Tomj14

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 914 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:13 AM

Imagine if the Twins had a guy in the minors that throws 100MPH and all they asked him to do was go 1 inning at the most. If only they had that guy in the minors.

• Jacks02 likes this

#70 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,508 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:14 AM

I can see sending a 10 - 30 level prospect to a club that has an OK reliever, but is more looking for salary relief, Melecon anyone?

#71 Tomj14

Tomj14

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 914 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:23 AM

How about Caleb Smith from the Marlins, they seem to make bad trades all the time.

#72 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:01 AM

There have been many effective sidearmers but it’s hard to have success, particularly against opposite side hitters. They get a good, long look at the ball as it swings around the side of the body.

Which is curious, because he has better numbers against LHB.

#73 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,954 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:51 AM

Which is curious, because he has better numbers against LHB.

I know, Hildenberger has always had that weird split. I can’t think of another sidearmer with that same split, though one could certainly exist.

#74 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,344 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:52 AM

Trading for a reliever would be fine as long as it isn't a Ramos for Capps redux. 

#75 J_Dobs

J_Dobs

Elizabethton Twins

• 42 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:57 AM

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it was Torreyes (.128/.172/.267) in AAA. I almost wish it would be Reed, something is just plan wrong with him, but at this point they won't cut bait on 8.5 million, he will get every opportunity to prove himself when his rehab is over.

#76 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,993 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:02 AM

Trading for a reliever would be fine as long as it isn't a Ramos for Capps redux. 

That debacle could have been prevented had the GM been paying attention to strikeout numbers. While missing bats wasn't very important to the last regime, it appears to be for this one. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

#77 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,993 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:07 AM

I'd remove Reed and Torreyes without batting an eyelash.

Moya, Vasquez and Hildenberger would merely get a shoulder shrug.

Mejia would get a consolatory handshake and I'd tell him, "I'd like to give you a longer leash, but there's just no room to carry you this year on the 25-man, good luck to you sir as long as it's not in the AL Central. Or the Yankees."

• Mike Sixel, Vanimal46 and Tomj14 like this

#78 spycake

spycake

• 16,974 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:12 AM

How about Caleb Smith from the Marlins, they seem to make bad trades all the time.

I don't mind poking fun at the Marlins, but the degree to which they make "bad trades" these days is probably overrated.

The Yelich trade looks bad, but the Marlins did get some highly rated prospects for him -- they've just busted so far, and Yelich took his game to another level. They likewise got an elite SP prospect for Realmuto too, even if that doesn't work out for them.

Their other deals have been driven by larger salary dumps (Stanton, Gordon, Ozuna), or misguided attempts to contend (Fernando Rodney). Neither of those would seem to apply to an asset like Caleb Smith, or even Jose Urena, or perhaps anyone now that they are nowhere near contention and their current payroll level is probably ideal (low, but not too low as to draw the ire of MLB and the MLBPA).

Still wouldn't hurt to keep an open dialogue, but I wouldn't count on getting good talent cheaply from them right now.

#79 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,789 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:07 AM

Maybe we haven't seen the last of De Jong.

No, but the first of him turned my stomach.*

* Straight-up theft from Firesign Theater...

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#80 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,789 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:14 AM

Dude ... So like, send Hildy to Walden Pond or something ....I don't know about me, but I bet Ralph and Henry abide.

Walden's about 20 minutes north of me. By now, the pond's become a kiddie beach. Thoreau would be rolling over in his grave if he were alive to see it today.

• Monkeypaws and MMMordabito like this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.