Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Hildy optioned

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 twins_89

twins_89

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:02 PM

I truly have no idea who the Twins are going to call up to replace Hildenberger. There aren't many options out of the guys on the 40 man roster. Gonsalves, Mejia, and Vasquez are on the IL. Stewart, Thorpe, and Littell have been starting (and haven't been all that great). Addison Reed is on a rehab assignment, but has been extremely bad at AAA. Romero was just demoted, so I believe they have to wait to call him up again. That leaves Moya and his 9.53 ERA at AAA.

I guess there are a few guys at AA that could make the jump in Stashak, Bray, or Mason. Maybe they give Tyler Jay a shot even though he hasn't really earned it.

• glunn likes this

#22 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:08 PM

It would seem there are possible reinforcements in AA.

Stashak, Knight, Smeltzer, Mason, Bray, and Graterol all have WHIPs under 0.1.

I don't know, but this implies they are doing quite well.

• glunn, DocBauer, ChrisKnutson and 1 other like this

#23 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,851 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:16 PM

Yes, it could be almost anyone--trade, promotion from off the 40-man. As far as clearing room on the 40-man, Reed could be designated. There doesn't seem to be anything left there. Meíja could come of the IL, but I don't know if he's even been throwing. I see answers, but I don't see any good answers.

• glunn, Otwins, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#24 Tuba

Tuba

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:17 PM

Wasn't Duffey technically the 26th man for the doubleheader? So it can't be Kohl Stewart.

• Danchat likes this

#25 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:49 PM

I feel bad for Hildy, but expect him back and succeeding again in the near future.Just release the pressure for a little while. 

#26 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:15 PM

Before today's game, Hildy was at roughly a .335 BAA, 8.30 ERA and 5.00 FIP since the 2018 AS break. Those numbers are all worse now. It isn't a small sample size for a reliever either. That isn't the type of player that you want or want to try to fix in a season where a deep playoff run looks to be in the picture so far. It's just too bad they let it extend for a couple games longer into the season. At least the Twins went 1-1 during the two games that Hildenberger tried to lose for them.
  • USAFChief likes this

#27 jz7233

jz7233

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:17 PM

It would seem there are possible reinforcements in AA.

Stashak, Knight, Smeltzer, Mason, Bray, and Graterol all have WHIPs under 0.1.

I don't know, but this implies they are doing quite well.

Knight was released.

#28 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 2,526 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:20 PM

11 scoreless innings...... when you don't consider the 5 inherited runners scored during those 11 innings, and that brings things back into perspective. His teammates are familiar with those runners scoring, especially the ones who got all those runs in their stat line.

..... sorry. I see this is redundant. I typed it before reading further. Like minds......

I'm not a fan of allowing inherited runners to score, but that's gonna happen for every reliever. Think about coming into a bases-loaded no-out situation. If a reliever allows 1 run to score there, he did his job. Heck, the guy might induce three fly outs and allow 2 runners to score in that situation and you can't beat him up for it.

So while I think it's important to look at that statistic, you really have to look at it on a case-by-case basis.

• glunn, TheLeviathan, Dman and 1 other like this

#29 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,939 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:24 PM

Look, I liked Hildy and he was great when he burst onto the scene to help a desperate bullpen in 2017... but it seems a lot of us forgot that has 2018 season was among the worst for relievers in all of the MLB. He had a rough 5.42 ERA with a mediocre 1.384 WHIP, and if you're into WAR, he was worth -0.6 WAR. I thought it might be wise to have him start the season in AAA, but clearly the FO thought leaving him as one of the few high leverage options was a good idea...

I don't want to overreact, but I think they need to add a high leverage reliever soon. I'm not very interested in Kimbrel, so I'd be looking for a trade. I'd rather get a reliever now than wait for the trade deadline - I know prices will be cheaper then, but IMO we have prospects to spare.

• Dman, DocBauer and Tomj14 like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#30 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,563 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:27 PM

Wasn't Duffey technically the 26th man for the doubleheader? So it can't be Kohl Stewart.

Correct. 

• glunn likes this

#31 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,563 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:28 PM

Doogie mentions Austin Adams as a possibility. Makes sense more (probably) in part because they can DFA him when he isn't needed and he'll clear. Has the Falvey/Cleveland tie. And, 28 K in 18 IP works... The Twins are in a win-now phase. 

• glunn likes this

#32 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,996 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:31 PM

Is it legal to DFA Reed while he’s on the IL?

#33 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,563 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:33 PM

Is it legal to DFA Reed while he’s on the IL?

Maybe? But they can just 60-Day DL him. 

• ashbury and glunn like this

#34 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,996 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:36 PM

Maybe? But they can just 60-Day DL him.

Hmmmm. He’s pitching on a rehab assignment. Clearly he isn’t injured.

Not sure “I just don’t have it anymore” qualifies as a medical reason to keep him on the DL. If some other team wanted to make a stink about it (which is probably not likely), I think they would have a hard time justifying it.

#35 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Twins Mods
  • 4,583 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:04 PM

Hmmmm. He’s pitching on a rehab assignment. Clearly he isn’t injured.

Not sure “I just don’t have it anymore” qualifies as a medical reason to keep him on the DL. If some other team wanted to make a stink about it (which is probably not likely), I think they would have a hard time justifying it.

if he’s on a rehab, wouldn’t you activate, DFA then select another contract or trade?

#36 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:14 PM

For all of you complaining about Hildenberger’s inherited runners scoring, I hope you realize a 75% strand rate is actually just fine. It’s almost exactly average.

I think this is smart and important to remember.

Of course it does nothing to excuse the past week and a half or so. He has simply been missing the zone and offering up some very hittable pitches.

There have been complaints about Duffey getting another shot. And I get it. But he's still the guy performing the best at this point, whether at Rochester or his even SSS with the Twins. I don't expect him to perform daily like be did last Saturday, but if his new found velocity is legit, to go along with his curve, he could, potentially, surprise and help.

Kimbrel or someone else, this pen needs another anchor to go along with Rogers.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#37 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 22,329 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:18 PM

I think this is smart and important to remember.

Of course it does nothing to excuse the past week and a half or so. He has simply been missing the zone and offering up some very hittable pitches.

There have been complaints about Duffey getting another shot. And I get it. But he's still the guy performing the best at this point, whether at Rochester or his even SSS with the Twins. I don't expect him to perform daily like be did last Saturday, but if his new found velocity is legit, to go along with his curve, he could, potentially, surprise and help.

Kimbrel or someone else, this pen needs another anchor to go along with Rogers.

Nope, no excuses at all for the past 7-10 days. He has been awful and needed to be demoted.

But to start the season 5-of-19 inherited runners scoring isn’t something to be ashamed of, particularly given how Baldelli kept throwing him out there in bases loaded situations.
  • pbrezeasap, PseudoSABR, Danchat and 1 other like this

#38 twinsguy45

twinsguy45

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:20 PM

Good. I just looked at the box score to see the final score. I came here specifically to complain and say "look at the ERAs in the box score...one of these things ain't like the others".
  • Otwins and DocBauer like this

#39 blindeke

blindeke

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:48 PM

Yeah, I’m not a believer in gimmick pitchers. Hildenberger is far from the only sidearmer to see this happen. Moya’s herky jerky delivery doesn’t work anymore, if it ever did. Duffey’s arsenal of magic curves got figured out quickly and just about every knuckleballer has about a year and a half shelf life tops.

Pat Neshek called. He says hi.

Edited by blindeke, 15 May 2019 - 07:57 PM.

• puckstopper1 likes this

#40 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:51 PM

Nope, no excuses at all for the past 7-10 days. He has been awful and needed to be demoted.

But to start the season 5-of-19 inherited runners scoring isn’t something to be ashamed of, particularly given how Baldelli kept throwing him out there in bases loaded situations.

Exactly.People focus on 5 runners scored, but somehow can't see that he's leading the league with having 19 on base when he came in.His April, you could argue, saved us 2-4 games.(And blew one) The situations he was put in were extremely tight.  

He was also very good in May and most of June last year too.So, as I see it, Hildy's real problem is that he pitches well enough for stretches to earn manager trust and then spectacularly collapses.And his managers don't seem to see that and keep rolling him out there even though he's lost what he had.

He needs to be in AAA, he's been terrible lately.Why that causes people to completely misrepresent how well he pitched in April is baffling.You can hold both thoughts in your head - he needs to go and we need to upgrade, but dude was a major help in April.If you're somehow one of the people denying that I implore you to look at the stats.It's just a very misguided stance to have.

• Brock Beauchamp, glunn, pbrezeasap and 4 others like this