Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Hildy optioned

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

Official Bat Boy

• Members
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:31 PM

Corresponding move tomorrow

• Sconnie, Dman, bighat and 1 other like this

Career Game Thread Record: 16-4

Safe to say I am the key to the Twins' success 

#2 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,766 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:34 PM

What took so long?sheesh...

Had to be done though. He's a train wreck right now.

• darin617, Danchat, mikelink45 and 3 others like this

"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains." 

#3 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 22,455 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:35 PM

Shocking!

#4 MNT1996

MNT1996

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:36 PM

Good riddance 

• MMMordabito likes this

#5 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,061 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:39 PM

Corresponding move tomorrow

I wonder if the Twins can get a “do over”. They can’t bring up Romero to send down Hildenberger. However, they could to put Garver on IL. The Hildenberger move could go with Sano.

There is no other obvious Rochester call up. Everyone else on the 40 man is pitching poorly at AAA.

Edited by yarnivek1972, 15 May 2019 - 03:58 PM.

#6 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:39 PM

What ever he used to have he seems to have lost it. AAA is a better place to try and get his groove back.

Rocco tried to put him in a spot to succeed today. A four run lead to give him a chance to get his confidence back and prove he can get guys out. He didn't come through though so time try someone else.

Edited by Dman, 15 May 2019 - 03:42 PM.

• glunn, beckmt, SwainZag and 14 others like this

#7 bunt_vs_the_shift

bunt_vs_the_shift

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:55 PM

What ever he used to have he seems to have lost it. AAA is a better place to try and get his groove back.

Rocco tried to put him in a spot to succeed today. A four run lead to give him a chance to get his confidence back and prove he can get guys out. He didn't come through though so time try someone else.

Well said. Hildy used to be one of the few guys I trusted, but he's been really struggling this year. Had a chance to regain some confidence and instead he imploded... As a side note, it doesn't seem right that Morin gets a save for giving up 2 hits, beaning Trout and narrowly escaping disaster either. That was an Eddie G like save, but at least with Eddie you were conditioned for it. 

• glunn, mikelink45, Dman and 1 other like this

#8 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:57 PM

I hate it for Hildy...but it had to be done. Once the draft is over, should we sign Kimbrel? YES ! I don't see anyone else in the Twins' farm system who could step right in as #1 reliever. Signing Kimbrel will improve the whole relief corps by moving each reliever down one notch. Just like signing Cruz and MarGo...it seems so logical to sign Kimbrel.

• h2oface, DocBauer, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

#9 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:00 PM

Good riddance 

11 scoreless innings to start the year. Hard to remember that far back, but he may figure it out yet.

• glunn, bdodge22, PseudoSABR and 5 others like this

#10 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,530 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:05 PM

11 scoreless innings to start the year. Hard to remember that far back, but he may figure it out yet.

11 scoreless, with an asterisk... He's allowed 5 inherited runners to score this year out of 19 inherited runners. The earned runs count against someone else, but he was brought in to get out of the jam and didn't execute. That should matter for bullpen guys.
  • glunn, Thrylos, h2oface and 6 others like this

#11 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,061 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:09 PM

11 scoreless, with an asterisk... He's allowed 5 inherited runners to score this year out of 19 inherited runners. The earned runs count against someone else, but he was brought in to get out of the jam and didn't execute. That should matter for bullpen guys.

19 inherited baserunners is still the highest number in the AL.

The 26% he’s allowed to score ranks 13th best among relievers that have inherited at least 10. Up until about a week ago, he had been doing fine.

Edited by yarnivek1972, 15 May 2019 - 04:10 PM.

• jorgenswest, glunn, pbrezeasap and 10 others like this

#12 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,742 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:12 PM

19 inherited baserunners is still the highest number in the AL.

The 26% he’s allowed to score ranks 13th best among relievers that have inherited at least 10. Up until about a week ago, he had been doing fine.

hildenberger was good when he was a mystery to MLB hitters for a few weeks in 2017. He's been mediocre or worse ever since.
  • Thrylos, nicksaviking, h2oface and 4 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#13 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:16 PM

ok.

• h2oface likes this

#14 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,628 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:29 PM

hildenberger was good when he was a mystery to MLB hitters for a few weeks in 2017. He's been mediocre or worse ever since.

Yeah, I’m not a believer in gimmick pitchers. Hildenberger is far from the only sidearmer to see this happen. Moya’s herky jerky delivery doesn’t work anymore, if it ever did. Duffey’s arsenal of magic curves got figured out quickly and just about every knuckleballer has about a year and a half shelf life tops.
  • USAFChief, h2oface, Dman and 1 other like this

#15 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,061 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:34 PM

Yeah, I’m not a believer in gimmick pitchers. Hildenberger is far from the only sidearmer to see this happen. Moya’s herky jerky delivery doesn’t work anymore, if it ever did. Duffey’s arsenal of magic curves got figured out quickly and just about every knuckleballer has about a year and a half shelf life tops.

Pat Neshek has been pitching quite well at the MLB level for about 12 years. He hasn’t been terribly effective in 2019, but he’s also 38 years old.
  • Seth Stohs, glunn, pbrezeasap and 10 others like this

#16 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 4,425 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:37 PM

11 scoreless innings...... when you don't consider the 5 inherited runners scored during those 11 innings, and that brings things back into perspective. His teammates are familiar with those runners scoring, especially the ones who got all those runs in their stat line.

..... sorry. I see this is redundant. I typed it before reading further. Like minds......

Edited by h2oface, 15 May 2019 - 04:40 PM.

#17 Heinie Manush

Heinie Manush

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:38 PM

He had success with the sneaky fastball over the top.Now the hitters know what's coming and Hildy's all but abandoned it. Perhaps he can work on another pitch from that arm slot.Otherwise, just another case of major league hitters adjusting to a gimmick pitcher.

• gil4 likes this

#18 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 22,455 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:55 PM

For all of you complaining about Hildenberger’s inherited runners scoring, I hope you realize a 75% strand rate is actually just fine. It’s almost exactly average.
  • ashbury, Seth Stohs, glunn and 5 others like this

#19 dbminn

dbminn

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:56 PM

Kohl Stewart returns? He can give them innings if a starter has a bad day. I look at the Rochester stats and don't see anyone else on the 40-man roster who can help. I could see them trying Smeltzer but they would have to make a move.  

• glunn and Dman like this

#20 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,628 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:00 PM

Pat Neshek has been pitching quite well at the MLB level for about 12 years. He hasn’t been terribly effective in 2019, but he’s also 38 years old.

Yeah certainly exceptions. After two years of this he doesn’t look to be one of them though.