Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Bullpen help is on the way!

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:55 PM

Reed is not the answer - time to move on and write off the loss.Sano could surprise, but the K man is not my cup of tea - I need more contact.Hildy is down.So the question is - who are the players we should be expecting as the season moves on?I would love Romero to get things together, but I do not think he is a relief pitcher.I would move Wade above Cave, but I doubt the Twins would do that.I would have Graterol be the next starter to come in, but doubt the Twins would do that.So those of you who understand the team better than me - who are the next five that we should expect to see?

#42 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 23,506 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:01 PM

Addison Reed pitching again tonight. He went into the game with a 13.50 ERA and 3 HR (in 4 IN). Both of those numbers went up.

Higher is better right?

I don't think anyone can be certain. There isn't enough of a track-record of pitchers with an ERA of 13.50 that isn't small-sample-size, to know what happens if it goes up. Maybe it's good, for all we know, like how the numbers on an old odometer circle around back to zero or something.

I just realized, the Twins should introduce a new radar gun, for use only when Jake Odorizzi is pitching: the Odo-Meter. They could get a lot of mileage out of that.

• IndianaTwin, Platoon and DannySD like this

So, in conclusion, what was your question again?

#43 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:13 PM

I actually was never on the fence, I always wanted him.

I am on the fence now though, by this point I have next to no faith that he wouldn't be completely rusty and lost most of the year. I'd be happy with a three year deal though so the team has him when he's back to form next year.

The good news is that Reed has been so bad that there's probably no way the team can rationalize putting him on the 25-man. If he was throwing 87 MPH but still somehow junkballing AAA hitters on his way to a 4.75 ERA, they'd probably still find a way to justify a call up.

Funny how things turn and our various perspectives.

I didn't want him because I simply didn't want to make such a huge investment. I forget the details now, but didn't he want a 5+yr deal for close to $20M per, or something at least close to that?

Regardless, I'm more on board now that time has passed and he may be looking for a 1yr deal. I'd prefer a 1yr with a decent option for a second year. I don't think he'd do that. What truly puzzles me...recognizing their has been an obvious and real shift in FA...is how he, and Keuchel, are still available. I get real fear as to a veteran SP "losing it" and not being a viable investment. But quality RP age differently. The miles are less. Even true closers/firemen are a 1+IP arm. Despite the market shift, guys are still getting signed, and still getting paid. And here we are May 15th and there isn't a single ML team willing to forgo a draft pick for Kimbrel for the remainder of the season?

I think there is more going on that we don't see, or know, unless it is simply he and his agents being stubborn.

Again, on board with a 1yr, maybe, hopefully, with an option to really make the investment worthwhile. But my guess? No Kimbrel in a Twins uniform. They will work with what they have, ride the shuttle with a couple of guys, let Johnson work with them, really see what they have, and make a trade for someone. Very possibly with an extra year or so of control.
  • LA VIkes Fan and Original Whizzinator like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#44 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:27 PM

It's kind of hard to be upset about 7 of the 8 BP spots at the moment. Rogers, May, Parker, Harper, Magill, Duffey and Morin have done nothing to really complain about. Way better than anyone could have expected. I'm OK with upgrades, but it's not like any of these guys are hurting the team in any way.

Hildenberger on the other hand, wow. Why do they keep riding this train?

And, in agreement.

To this point, Harper is more than a good story. Now, long term, we will have to wait and see. He may be a gimmick. But real pitching is about control, (hitting spots), and changing the hitters timing and plane. Can we all agree on that? He does that. NOT a shutdown guy! But a useful mid arm. On the other hand, Magill actually brings mid 90s heat and a wicked breaking ball. Can he, in his second year, harness that and eliminate BB and HR balls? Is Duffey's new FB for real? Great if it is. You can't just live by a CB alone.

All in all, you are correct that the guys you have listed have done nothing, to this point, to say they have performed poorly or need to be replaced tomorrow. But I think you and I, and everyone else can agree, that with 3/4 of a season yet to be played, there is an absolute need for another high leverage RP to be added.
  • glunn, nicksaviking, beckmt and 3 others like this

--Lou Brown

#45 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:33 PM

I’ve seen the complaining, but while those maybies are proving everyone wrong, maybe we shouldn’t.
I wanted them to sign no less than three big name free agent relievers this year and every one of them have been brutal. I don’t see how the preferred alternative would have made anyone happy.

I never wanted or believed we needed 3.

Always believed we needed ONE big RH arm, and a decent LH in case Mejia faltered.

I just never had much faith in Moya and Vasquez, but hoped one of them might prove me wrong. Was begging for that one big arm, which didn't happen. And hoping for a LH bounce back or failed SP to convert, like Mejia.

Still wanting and needing both, IMO.

--Lou Brown

#46 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:41 PM

I agree it's a very SSS and if Sano didn't have a history of this exact problem, I would ignore it completely.

But it's a little unsettling to see a player of his capability and age striking out that often against MiLB pitchers.

It could be nothing more than statistical noise in a SSS but I don't like seeing it.

Agreed.

I really wanted him to "build his momentum" with a couple of weeks at Rochester. I guess we will have to trust the FO, trainers, coaches, scouts and all that it's the right time.

But I will say this, and I think most of us can agree, that we have seen numerous examples in the past of a pitcher or hitter on rehabilitation assignment who didn't destroy the competition, but were merely working on things and getting timing and feel back before being brought back up.

Here is to hoping that is the case, and all the reported hard work and new attitude is for real and the Sano we all dream and hope for starts to show himself, and soon.
  • glunn likes this

--Lou Brown

#47 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 4,381 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:28 PM

The Twins are activating Miguel Sano. To make room, they are sending down half the relief staff.

• Taildragger8791 likes this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#48 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:51 PM

The Twins are activating Miguel Sano. To make room, they are sending down half the relief staff.

I heard they were extending the bench in the Twins' dugout by another three feet...I guess maybe both?

• jimbo92107, Taildragger8791 and DannySD like this

#49 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:54 PM

Man, Hildenberger heading to Rochester where he looks (with his Twins stats) to be the best pitcher on the roster. Reed needs work (both of them). Vasquez and Moya not showing anything. Maybe Littell gets the call to work out of the pen. The Wahoos have the better pitching! But Jay is stinking it up. 

Suddenly the though of Kimbrel looks pretty darn good. Or, are the Twins pulling off a trade )removing someone in the trade from the 40-man - Wade or Cave?).

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#50 wagwan

wagwan

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:17 AM

I believe you win when you have guys that are better than the other team. Particularly when they are vastly superior. Sano is one of those guys who can do things other people can't. Buxton is another. They are just better athletes than the rest of the league. This almost makes their stats meaningless because they are the definition of outliers. At any moment they can do something ridiculous. ( see - Buxton throw Tuesday)

I think it is time for Sano to be back with his guys on the team and working with these coaches in this winning atmosphere. 

His time has come.

• Mike Sixel and LA VIkes Fan like this

#51 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:37 AM

"Sano is one of those guys who can do things other people can't. Buxton is another. They are just better athletes than the rest of the league."

Well, one thing we can agree on is that certainly Sano has a better appetite than the rest of the league. ;-)

#52 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:28 AM

This thread title is misleading. It should be: "All things the Twins are in 1st place and i'm feeling optimistic" 

#53 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,042 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:05 AM

This needs to be addressed... Right now.

It will be! I am in the process of putting out a strongly worded post on the subject as soon as possible.
  • ashbury and USAFChief like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#54 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,042 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:09 AM

This morning I read in another blog, that there is some sort of an Austin guy going to Seattle for the roster? Or was he from Austin? Mn? Tx? Or maybe it was someone named Albert Lea? Doesn't matter, he will likely be back in Rochester by Saturday.

Edited by Platoon, 16 May 2019 - 05:11 AM.

TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#55 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• Members
  • 786 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:16 AM

The trade deadline is coming up I would like to see a trade for a guy who is dealing this year. A guy who is hot right now. Not Kimbrel. If you can over pay without touching the top ten golden children I'm in. Package 2-3 guys reated 10-30. Let's go!
  • beckmt likes this

#56 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• Members
  • 786 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:19 AM

I can see Hildy back up sometime but only if they can figure out a way to use him. He looked really good at times this year under tense conditions then.... IDK maybe those who say a guy like him can't have enduring success are right. Time will tell.

#57 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:50 AM

And, in agreement.

To this point, Harper is more than a good story. Now, long term, we will have to wait and see. He may be a gimmick. But real pitching is about control, (hitting spots), and changing the hitters timing and plane. Can we all agree on that? He does that. NOT a shutdown guy! But a useful mid arm. On the other hand, Magill actually brings mid 90s heat and a wicked breaking ball. Can he, in his second year, harness that and eliminate BB and HR balls? Is Duffey's new FB for real? Great if it is. You can't just live by a CB alone.

All in all, you are correct that the guys you have listed have done nothing, to this point, to say they have performed poorly or need to be replaced tomorrow. But I think you and I, and everyone else can agree, that with 3/4 of a season yet to be played, there is an absolute need for another high leverage RP to be added.

Didn'tI read somewhere that when closing out the Yankees a few years ago, McCullers threw 24 consecutive curveballs.Changing speeds and location can work.Do not see Harper as a closeout reliever, but a mid level arm, have no problem with that to date.  

#58 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:53 AM

Agree, that I am looking more for a trade than a signing.Should be plenty of relievers around early next month, most of them will not be hughly expensive.If you want to spend money send a mid level prospect/suspect to SF for Melecon.SF might just want the money off the books.

#59 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,622 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:44 AM

Man, Hildenberger heading to Rochester where he looks (with his Twins stats) to be the best pitcher on the roster. Reed needs work (both of them). Vasquez and Moya not showing anything. Maybe Littell gets the call to work out of the pen. The Wahoos have the better pitching! But Jay is stinking it up. 

Yeah, things are actually lining up to put my guy Cody Stashak as a possiblity for a promotion right from AA!

Not that I'm excited that the Rochester crowd isn't looking great, I just believe that Stashak is going to eventually show that he's been really overlooked for a couple of years now. 

#60 Twodogs

Twodogs

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:30 PM

Higher is better right?

For Lamar Odom in Vegas maybe?

• Mike Sixel likes this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy