Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Bullpen help is on the way!

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,773 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:09 PM

I agree it's a very SSS and if Sano didn't have a history of this exact problem, I would ignore it completely.

But it's a little unsettling to see a player of his capability and age striking out that often against MiLB pitchers.

It could be nothing more than statistical noise in a SSS but I don't like seeing it.

Compared to the 2018 team, the 2019 Twins also look like a roster that can better absorb a high strikeout bat. Not only are many of the biggest offenders last year either gone or marginalized, but nearly to a man, everyone on the team is striking out less this year. Maybe some of that will rub off on Sano as well.

Oddly, Nelson Cruz seems to be the only batter that is striking out more this year.

• glunn likes this

#22 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,230 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:13 PM

Compared to the 2018 team, the 2019 Twins also look like a roster that can better absorb a high strikeout bat. Not only are many of the biggest offenders last year either gone or marginalized, but nearly to a man, everyone on the team is striking out less this year. Maybe some of that will rub off on Sano as well.

Oddly, Nelson Cruz seems to be the only batter that is striking out more this year.

In and of themselves, I’m not too worried about the strikeouts. It’s the decreased production that comes with a 35% strikeout rate that worries me. Players have a pretty defined ceiling that isn’t super high if they’re striking out over 33% of the time.
  • Taildragger8791 likes this

#23 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,841 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:50 PM

This needs to be addressed... Right now.
  • USAFChief, LA VIkes Fan and Platoon like this

#24 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:06 PM

I would DFA Addison Reed, there is nothing left in the tank for that guy. 86, 87 to 88 on his fastball as straight as it is with little movement isn't going to get it done in the big leagues. He must be nearing his rehab stint ending. IF has an option left then I would option him to AAA, but right now if not a DFA would make sense. Time to unclog the drain a little bit, there are a couple people that need the boot off the 40 man and this one of them.

• Aerodeliria likes this

#25 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,773 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:20 PM

It's kind of hard to be upset about 7 of the 8 BP spots at the moment. Rogers, May, Parker, Harper, Magill, Duffey and Morin have done nothing to really complain about. Way better than anyone could have expected. I'm OK with upgrades, but it's not like any of these guys are hurting the team in any way.

Hildenberger on the other hand, wow. Why do they keep riding this train?

• DocBauer likes this

#26 cmoss84

cmoss84

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 377 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:43 PM

For those of you saying we should wait until we don't give up a draft pick for Kimbrel-I look at it the opposite way. 

We need to bite the bullet and give up our draft pick. It is what would separate us from the rest of the field right now (at least, supposedly). We wait, he signs with someone else. This might be a good way to sell to Kimbrel how bad we want him on our squad...he might say "wow, they are the only team that is willing to give up a draft pick for me. And they have the best record in baseball (something he obviously could not say at the beginning of the year). 

2 years 25 mil. lose the pick. Go get the elite closer. 

(10 this year, 15 for next)

Edited by cmoss84, 15 May 2019 - 03:49 PM.

• h2oface, AlwaysinModeration, DocBauer and 1 other like this

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#27 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 23,000 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:43 PM

It's kind of hard to be upset about 7 of the 8 BP spots at the moment. Rogers, May, Parker, Harper, Magill, Duffey and Morin have done nothing to really complain about. Way better than anyone could have expected. I'm OK with upgrades, but it's not like any of these guys are hurting the team in any way.

Hildenberger on the other hand, wow. Why do they keep riding this train?

there is one good MLB reliever on your list, and a couple back end maybes.

I find a great deal to complain about.
  • h2oface and SF Twins Fan like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#28 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,078 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:50 PM

Parker’s numbers the last two years are pretty much exactly the same as Taylor Rogers’.

So, according to you, which of them isn’t a good MLB reliever?
  • 70charger, TheLeviathan, Danchat and 1 other like this

#29 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,773 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:05 PM

I’ve seen the complaining, but while those maybies are proving everyone wrong, maybe we shouldn’t.

I wanted them to sign no less than three big name free agent relievers this year and every one of them have been brutal. I don’t see how the preferred alternative would have made anyone happy.
  • DocBauer and DannySD like this

#30 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,841 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:08 PM

I’ve seen the complaining, but while those maybies are proving everyone wrong, maybe we shouldn’t.

I wanted no less than three big names free agent relievers this year and every one of them have been brutal. I don’t see how the preferred alternative would have made anyone happy.

Never know how they would have done under the tutelage of Wes the Wizard Johnson.
  • Aerodeliria likes this

#31 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,078 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:17 PM

Never know how they would have done under the tutelage of Wes the Wizard Johnson.

Expert tutelage?!?

What the f#*k have you been telling them, Foley??!!
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#32 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,773 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:38 PM

I’d think guys who already got paid are much less likely to revamp their mechanics and approach than guys who are much less certain of their job security. I’d think most pitching coaches, not just Johnson, have more impact on young guys and desperate journeymen. If you’re Soria, Robertson, Familia or Allen why would you change what got you there?

#33 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 10,070 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:00 PM

The irony is they could probably limp to the end and win the division with what they have, and a division win would be considered good enough for the majority of fans.

#34 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 10,070 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:02 PM

Yes. To their credit, they probably optioned Hildenberger today without any idea who they will be calling up.
  • DannySD likes this

#35 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,841 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:03 PM

I’d think guys who already got paid are much less likely to revamp their mechanics and approach than guys who are much less certain of their job security. I’d think most pitching coaches, not just Johnson, have more impact on young guys and desperate journeymen. If you’re Soria, Robertson, Familia or Allen why would you change what got you there?

Why wouldn't the players you named be open to data and coaching?

#36 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,996 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:05 PM

Parker’s numbers the last two years are pretty much exactly the same as Taylor Rogers’.

So, according to you, which of them isn’t a good MLB reliever?

Only ERA puts them in even the same ballpark.
Every other measure suggests that Parker has been much more lucky than good.
  • USAFChief likes this

#37 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 21,729 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:06 PM

If you are referring to AAA numbers only, that's a pretty dang small sample size of 3 games ... a sample size that has his BA at .308 and OPS at .819, mind you.

Fifty percent strikeouts ... BA above .300 ... hm, that must be an amazing BABIP ... checking ... yep, in his 3 AAA games his BABIP is .667.

We should definitely be drawing conclusions based on this very representative statistical sample that has had a full 3 games in which to stabilize.

• DocBauer and Wizard11 like this

Nothing is impossible for the one who doesn't have to do the work.

#38 twins_89

twins_89

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:28 PM

Addison Reed pitching again tonight. He went into the game with a 13.50 ERA and 3 HR (in 4 IN). Both of those numbers went up.

#39 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,166 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:31 PM

Addison Reed pitching again tonight. He went into the game with a 13.50 ERA and 3 HR (in 4 IN). Both of those numbers went up.

Higher is better right?
  • ashbury, Danchat, Circus Boy and 2 others like this

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#40 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 10,070 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:37 PM

Higher is better right?

Only in horseshoes and hand grenades. Or something.
  • ashbury, Circus Boy and Aerodeliria like this