Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Garver's injury

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,936 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:17 PM

The video suggests that it is serious.

https://www.mlb.com/...plate-collision

I pray that it's not that bad. 

#2 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:35 PM

I guess this means Sano will be back tomorrow. Not many other options on 40 man roster to choose from. With Nelson Cruz out as well may as well add the big bat. Just hope Sano is ready mentally and physically for the majors.

• glunn and Jerr like this

#3 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,230 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:40 PM

Ugly.

Again, for all you “why is Castro on the roster” folks, this is why you don’t give away MLB catchers. We’re literally 6-7 weeks into the season and had two catchers go down.
  • jorgenswest, glunn, birdwatcher and 5 others like this

#4 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:22 PM

Ugh, I hope this is a 90-10 Castro split while Garver is out.

#5 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,230 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:33 PM

Ugh, I hope this is a 90-10 Castro split while Garver is out.

There is literally no such thing as a 90/10 catcher split.

• jud6312 likes this

#6 MNT1996

MNT1996

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:37 PM

Hopefully Astudillo can pick up the pace as the backup catcher while Garv is out. I like Castro's bat, but im not a fan of Willian's. Never got the hype around him. 

#7 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:37 PM

There is literally no such thing as a 90/10 catcher split.

Fine. 80-20.

#8 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:38 PM

Word is high ankle sprain, which could be better, could be worse. Probably out a few weeks.

• glunn likes this

#9 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,230 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:40 PM

Fine. 80-20.

Literally still barely a thing unless we're back in 1974 and Bench is your catcher. 66/33 is basically the norm.

• glunn likes this

#10 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:42 PM

That's too much Tortuga for my liking.

#11 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,230 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:48 PM

That's too much Tortuga for my liking.

I get that but Garver was more of a butcher last year than Astudillo is this year. Astudillo actually profiles as somewhere around average, maybe a touch under.

Which is why I want them both studying under Castro (and the coaching staff).

#12 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:00 PM

I get that but Garver was more of a butcher last year than Astudillo is this year. Astudillo actually profiles as somewhere around average, maybe a touch under.

I'm just not a Tortuga guy in general. I genuinely don't understand the fandom and I cringe any time I see his name in the lineup.

He's better than the third catchers they've trotted out there in recent years, but that's not high praise.

Maybe he'll win me over, but I see him as more of a sideshow act (like Big Sexy) than someone that can actually help in the long-term.

I just want nice things, and Garver is finally becoming one of those.

#13 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:01 PM

Also, not claiming you're a Willians fanboy - that was a general statement.

#14 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,230 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:06 PM

I'm just not a Tortuga guy in general. I genuinely don't understand the fandom and I cringe any time I see his name in the lineup.

He's better than the third catchers they've trotted out there in recent years, but that's not high praise.

Maybe he'll win me over, but I see him as more of a sideshow act (like Big Sexy) than someone that can actually help in the long-term.

I just want nice things, and Garver is finally becoming one of those.

That's a bit unfair to Astudillo. I am hardly his biggest fan but he appears to be a decent catcher and one that profiles to be... interesting... on offense.

Any guy who strikes out 2-3 times every 100 plate appearances is going to be lively at the plate. And he won't be *bad*, but the jury is out on how *good* he could be.

• glunn, Jerr and bluechipper like this

#15 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:19 AM

His foot was firmly planted when Ohtani slid into it. To make matters worse, his cleats caught on the bag.

You can see the amount of force his ankle absorbed by the way he goes flying once his cleats break free.

This could have been a lot worse.

• glunn likes this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#16 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,768 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:30 PM

I care more about getting his bat back in the lineup than anything. Might be able to get him some DH spots quite a bit before they ask him to crouch for 9 innings.

#17 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:01 PM

I care more about getting his bat back in the lineup than anything. Might be able to get him some DH spots quite a bit before they ask him to crouch for 9 innings.

I doubt Garver will take too many games away from Cruz but maybe one here and there.The downside to having a bat only DH.Its likely that Astudillo will remain in the catcher mix and Garver will be eased back when he returns.

#18 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:00 PM

He won't be able to run with this injury. He will be OUT, no DH duty for quite some time.

• Sconnie likes this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#19 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:45 AM

Ugly.

Again, for all you “why is Castro on the roster” folks, this is why you don’t give away MLB catchers. We’re literally 6-7 weeks into the season and had two catchers go down.

Looking to trade from a surplus and dropping a player from the roster are entirely different. I saw the former, not so much the latter. The Twins are fortunate that Astudillo has positional flexibility and they're able to carry 3 catchers. Plenty of teams survive with 2, so the notion of trading Castro, who at the time was clearly the inferior hitter amongst the group, wasn't the illogical idea it's being painted as. Everybody realizes moving Castro was contingent on performance and health leading up to the trade deadline. It's easy in mid May, with the aid of hindsight, to criticize the desire, but if performance remained static, Castro was dealt, and Garver was injured the day after the deadline would we ridicule the move? I doubt it. 

#20 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,230 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:48 AM

Looking to trade from a surplus and dropping a player from the roster are entirely different. I saw the former, not so much the latter. The Twins are fortunate that Astudillo has positional flexibility and they're able to carry 3 catchers. Plenty of teams survive with 2, so the notion of trading Castro, who at the time was clearly the inferior hitter amongst the group, wasn't the illogical idea it's being painted as. Everybody realizes moving Castro was contingent on performance and health leading up to the trade deadline. It's easy in mid May, with the aid of hindsight, to criticize the desire, but if performance remained static, Castro was dealt, and Garver was injured the day after the deadline would we ridicule the move? I doubt it. 

It was easy to criticize at the time, which I did.

Three catchers who profile as adequate MLB players is not a "surplus", especially when you consider the depth behind those three, which is non-existent.

And, as we've seen *twice* already in just the first 40 games of the season, catchers can and will go down at any moment for almost any reason.

Again, calls to drop a third catcher (in this case, Castro) were and are short-sighted.

It's time to play to win and Castro walks after the season while both Garver and Astudillo are under control for several years beyond 2019. There is absolutely zero urgency to do anything about the catching situation and the Twins have a rare luxury right now: the ability to carry three catchers without meaningfully impacting the roster depth.

• Mike Sixel, Twins33, Mike Frasier Law and 1 other like this