Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 4, LAA 3: Throw Down

byron buxton mitch garver blake parker kyle gibson
  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Ole St Carleton

Ole St Carleton

Elizabethton Twins

• 4 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:39 AM

No way Sano should be allowed to play in the field- exc 1st base in an inter-league game (if he's hot at the plate). With Cruz hurting, perhaps he can come up and show what he has at DH and learn the trade from the veteran. With Gonzales, Tortuga and Adrianza- 3rd base is well covered.

#22 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,931 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:41 AM

No way Sano should be allowed to play in the field- exc 1st base in an inter-league game (if he's hot at the plate). With Cruz hurting, perhaps he can come up and show what he has at DH and learn the trade from the veteran. With Gonzales, Tortuga and Adrianza- 3rd base is well covered.

Sano needs to play the field but I agree that he shouldn't (and probably won't) be playing at third every day, especially if Cruz is down for a couple of weeks.

But when Cruz comes back, there's no way to get both players on the field at the same time without Sano manning third base.

#23 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 1,033 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:07 AM

That is what bothers me about Sano playing 3b on an every day basis. Would show up in the L column I am afraid. These types of games are what make the difference in Oct. Definitely one of the 42.

It's going to be a managerial balancing act for sure.Getting Sano enough PAs to allow him to show he can realize his potential (or not) and keeping what's been a very good defense most games in tact will be tough. Marwin's versatility makes it easy in theory ( just give everyone a day off each week), but his defensive value at the hot corner and the drop-off that's realized at other positions doesn't make it cut and dried.

Great problem to have provided Sano is producing after a few games of getting back into seeing MLB pitching and the routine of the MLB game.

#24 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 388 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:14 AM

The IL trip is official, Sano is back.

Still no word on Garver's timeline.Hopefully it is just the sprain.

Edited by SomeGuy, 15 May 2019 - 09:17 AM.

#25 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,931 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:23 AM

The IL trip is official, Sano is back.

Still no word on Garver's timeline. Hopefully it is just the sprain.

I haven’t seen any updated news on Garver so if someone sees something, please share it.

#26 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 388 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:40 AM

I haven’t seen any updated news on Garver so if someone sees something, please share it.

I'm guessing they haven't finished the testing they were going to do today but know its bad enough for an IL trip.

These are from the Fantasy Baseball world and don't offer anything concrete.

Twins placed C Mitch Garver on the 10-day injured list with a high left ankle sprain.

Advice: Garver suffered the high ankle sprain Tuesday in a home-plate collision with Shohei Ohtani. He's likely to miss the rest of May and maybe a good portion of June as well. The 28-year-old catcher was off to a tremendous start this season for Minnesota, slashing .329/.418/.747 with nine home runs and 19 RBI in 25 games while showing improved defense behind the plate. Jason Castro and Willians Astudillo will presumably share time at catcher moving forward.
(Rotoworld.com)

Mitch Garver has been diagnosed with a high ankle sprain in his left leg.

Advice: Garver suffered the injury in the eighth inning of Tuesday night's game against the Angels when Shohei Ohtani slid into his leg at home plate. Twins manager Rocco Baldelli said more tests are coming Wednesday, so the final diagnosis might even be more serious. It did look ugly. Garver, who owns a stellar .329/.418/.747 batting line with nine home runs and 19 RBI in 25 games this season, is almost certainly headed to the injured list.

More: Dan Hayes on Twitter

#27 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,976 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:41 AM

Here's what a Twitter doctor says!

He says most likely 60 day IL.

#28 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,931 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:49 AM

60 day?

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh.

The Minnesota Twins: Can’t Have Nice Things Since 1961

#29 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,264 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:02 AM

I feel very disappointed for Garver. He was off to a great start this year. Hope he heals completely quickly.

#30 wsnydes

wsnydes

Baseball season goes past September?!

• 3,934 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:03 AM

60 day?

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Official twins release says 10 day. That obviously doesn't mean it won't be 60 days anyway though.

"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains."

#31 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,759 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:06 AM

Official twins release says 10 day. That obviously doesn't mean it won't be 60 days anyway though.

The 60-day IL doesn't necessarily get used when an injury is serious. Only if the team needs the use of that 40-man roster spot. When the 60 days are up, they then could have a roster decision to make, as to whom to DFA or whatever, in order to re-activate Garver, so I don't know if they make the move lightly, right now. Only if they want someone on the 25-man roster who isn't currently on the 40-man; that could well be a pitcher, but they also may prefer to leave room for Telis or other AAA catcher in case of a 10-day injury to someone, but not commit to that as yet.

• 70charger likes this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#32 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 388 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:10 AM

I doubt it will end up being a 60 day trip unless they find something significant in the further testing today.I'm thinking 3-5 weeks.

Edited by SomeGuy, 15 May 2019 - 10:15 AM.

#33 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,976 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:16 AM

60 day?

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I only know high ankle sprains in relation to football... If a RB or WR gets one they're pretty much toast for the season. Hopefully it's different in baseball.

#34 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• 964 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:18 AM

60 days is easily in play. High ankle sprains are notoriously slow to heal. He could maybe come back to DH sooner if he's careful on the bases, but catching duties will be a lot to ask. I saw the still image of the play and his foot was turned totally sideways. It's a miracle he didn't break/tear anything.

#35 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 629 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:19 AM

Stinks about Garver. He was absolutely killing it at the plate and doing a very solid job behind it too. but the lineup is actually the area where we are better suited to overcome an injury, so points to the FO on that one. If Cruz misses time too, you can slot Sano in for some DH time as well as 3B, Marwin keeps getting time at 3B, 1B, LF and we have better catching depth at MLB than we could hope for with La Tortuga & Castro, so it's not a disaster and injuries WILL happen.

It will be interesting to see how Duffy performs.

#36 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 388 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:21 AM

Remember Francisco Lindor suffered a "moderate" high ankle sprain March 26th and returned April 20th.We still need to know the severity but I'm not worried about 60+ yet.

Baldelli says there was less pain than he was expecting for whats its worth.

"We don't have a lot of the information. We will know a lot more tomorrow. Probably not in as much pain as I was expecting. But anything beyond that is speculation."

Edited by SomeGuy, 15 May 2019 - 10:25 AM.

• IMissJoeMauer likes this

#37 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:21 AM

Garver seemed unstoppable this year ... it seemed to me the only way he was going to be stopped was via injury. Hopefully he comes back and can still smack around the ball at will.

Perhaps this is a good lesson in why GMs don't typically dump all of their cash into the catcher position, the position that is the most stressful on the body and also the most dangerous to play.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#38 Tibs

Tibs

• 1,228 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:23 AM

Why is no one discussing the fact that Buxton came to a complete stop, took two little hop steps, and threw the ball 98.6 mph over 256 ft to get the runner out at the plate? That's amazing.

I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#39 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:24 AM

Maybe it's because we all saw Puckett do that fifty times.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#40 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,976 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:25 AM

Also a good lesson not to discard MLB quality catchers like Castro for no reason.
  • rdehring likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: byron buxton, mitch garver, blake parker, kyle gibson