Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/13): Baller-Zovic

jordan balazovic trevor larnach royce lewis jorge alcala ryan mason
  • Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#41 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:36 AM

Well since you've looked at this more closely than I have, of last 25 Twins' 1st round picks, how many had a meaningful MLB career? Is this a good rate relative to other teams?

No, I haven't gone back 25 years, because most of the scouts and other talent procurers from the distant past have been replaced. Going back even ten years is a bit of a stretch, although MANY of the same people from 2009 are still scouting and weighing in on draft prospects in 2019. But it's important to consider how much has changed in talent evaluation and draft strategy, especially within the last few years.

I can't substantiate this, but I've come to believe that the percentage of "hits" with first round picks over the last 4-5 drafts will be much higher than even back in 2012 and 2013. If you look at those drafts, you'll see only three or four bona fide superstars emerging from each of those drafts. I doubt Mike Trout or Aaron Judge would make it to the tail end of the first round today. But that's sheer speculation on my part.

Edited by birdwatcher, 15 May 2019 - 09:42 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jordan balazovic, trevor larnach, royce lewis, jorge alcala, ryan mason