Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Jorge Polanco Entering Rod Carew Territory

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 959 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:34 AM

Premature

#22 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,273 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:48 AM

You cannot be serious. I love Jorge but to compare him to Carew? You need to seriously slow the roll

If he keeps this up over the season, he'll have earned the comparison. 

#23 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,083 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:49 AM

I am not an analytical savant! (I know, a shock to some of you) So, when analyzing the defensive contributions of, say, a SS, how does the fact that he is already deep in the hole during a shift, affect the analysis of his ability to go deep into the hole and make a play? Is it analyzed by the amount of feet he travels from start to gloving the ball? Or is it the slot the ball is hit into? It just seems to me that either way, any positive, or negative, aspects of range that the SS displays is muted by the restricted lack of open range. If the club sends the 3B to the right of second on a left handed shift, then his range comes into play moreso.
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#24 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,484 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 14 May 2019 - 04:52 PM

Just when you think some records will last forever, everything goes digital. Jorge Polanco does just about everything the way you want a baseball player to do it. If the Twins don't win the Series this year, I won't blame Polanco.

Who will I blame? Hmmm, I'll think it over. Maybe one of the moderators...

• Twins33, Riverbrian and Joe A. Preusser like this
The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#25 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,780 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 05:32 PM

Dear Cody,

Rod Carew himself probably wouldn't know exactly what to make of OPS+.

I understand OPS perfectly well, and I understand that OPS+ is calculated for ballparks, BUT ...

what exactly is a poor OPS+, an average OPS+, an above-average OPS+, and an excellent OPS+?

What does 100 mean?

Thank you on behalf of those who do not know.

Edited by ScrapTheNickname, 14 May 2019 - 05:35 PM.

#26 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,389 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 05:54 PM

100 is a league average OPS+.

#27 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 21,983 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:50 PM

Apparently, this was quite the controversial article. 

I didn't see the harm in it but after reading the responses... I decided to go back and read the article again. 

At no point did he compare the CAREER of Polanco to the CAREER of Carew.

He listed the top OPS+ performances from Twins middle infielders.

My personal all-time favorite Twin Mr. Rod Carew is sitting at the top and Cody was pointing out that Polanco is above that mark. 

If all Cody or anyone is allowed to write is:

Polanco is having a great start to the season but let's see him do it for another 10 years... well, there won't be much point in writing that.  

• diehardtwinsfan and Twins33 like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#28 Linus

Linus

• 2,248 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:57 PM

It doesn’t matter if is one year or a career. To compare Polonco (who I like) to Carew is ridiculous. He would have to perform at his career all time level for the rest of this year for an annual comparison and another 10 years for a career comparison.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#29 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,093 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:17 PM

Oh, at first I thought this was a "first 40-50 games" thing, but now I see it's a full-season comparison for middle infielders. I don't think Polanco finishes in the top 5 as we have a long season ahead of us, but I do think he's a top 10 offensive option as a shortstop in the MLB, which is a terrific outcome for him.

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#30 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,780 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:54 AM

100 is a league average OPS+.

I guess that was obvious. Thanks anyway, though.

#31 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• 681 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:25 AM

Rod Carew was always one of my favorite players of all time. And it doesn't bother me in the least that Jorge is compared to him. Carew's swing was more for contact and Jorge tries to go yard much more, so I expect him to hit under .300 by season's end. But with 20 + homers. 

There is a reason the Twins wanted to lock up Jorge for an extension. He is a young and very talented player on the come. I wish they's extend Eddie and Buck too. It would be nice to have that OF intact for five years.

BTW, did anyone notice that they clocked Buck's throw to the plate last night at 98 MPH?

#32 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• 681 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:31 AM

It doesn’t matter if is one year or a career. To compare Polonco (who I like) to Carew is ridiculous. He would have to perform at his career all time level for the rest of this year for an annual comparison and another 10 years for a career comparison.

So add me to the list of the ridiculous. Cody wrote a good piece. And nostalgia ain't what it used to be. We don't live in the past... 

I loved watching Rod Carew. Sure, Rod did it for longer. Amazing hitter.But that is no reason not to note that Jorge is on the climb and showing that he is reaching that level of play.Hope he can keep it up over a long career.

• Riverbrian likes this

#33 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:32 AM

I think some people read the title of this article and went straight into typing a response.

The article is pretty clearly not about what people are objecting to.

• Twins33 and Riverbrian like this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#34 Trov

Trov

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 178 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:32 AM

To the people that think the article is claiming Polonco will be as good as Carew for his career, you missed the point of the article.The point is that it was showing he is putting up similar numbers, which is true.Many players at Polonco's age put up big numbers that never get sustained like Carew did.  

I find it interesting when anyone points out numbers are similar, or state best numbers since player X, that people draw the conclusion people are comparing those two players.Take the article as it is, a showing that Polonco is putting up some nice numbers that if he can repeat several times over he will be knocking on HOF door, but no where in article was it suggesting he is at that point.  

• Riverbrian likes this