Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Forum list page change and more ads?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,197 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:33 AM

What iPad are you using? I haven’t seen any issues on my iPad Air 2 and certainly not any issues on my iPhone XS.

I have an iPad Air ... not sure what generation, but I’ve had it a while so probably the first generation. This is what I’m experiencing with the ads of late:

1. It takes time for them to load. And as they change and load, which they do as I’m reading, the width of the banners change causing the page to ‘jump’. So by the time I choose what forum to touch on, or thread, or article ... just as I do, the page jumps and I find myself in the wrong place.

2. The bottom screen banner pop-up is the worst. I’m about to click ‘post’ and the bottom banner pops up and I find myself being taken to that ad page. It covers the bottom, hmm 4th or 5th, portion of my screen and I have to actually click it off to get to some of the moderator functionality. Several times. Or have to scroll to click post, or more reply options.

3. The banner ads between thread posts ... I didn’t mind that there was one between the first post of a thread page and the rest, but now these banner ads pop up between, roughly, every third post.

4. The ads along the right side sometimes flash when I’m scrolling, causing the whole page to kind of flash. It’s very difficult to read content when that happens.

I’m all for why we have ads ... to give us all a free site to come to, and have never used an ad blocker, and and even enjoy the shoe ads, but the new ads do hinder how I am able to read and navigate the site, while using my iPad, which I use about 75% of the time.

#22 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,197 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:57 AM

I edited the above post, and this was how far I had to scroll to find the ‘submit modified post button:

CF529F85-BD11-436A-997B-E7282D3831AE.png

7979B5BB-544B-4610-9CAC-C29140DEF0B7.png

DBD106EE-2E61-4F70-A41F-5BEAD8BFA851.png

Same with clicking ‘add reply’ on this post. Have to scroll through several screens to get there.

#23 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,210 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:14 PM

FYI, work is being done on the flickering issue (which I finally saw for myself). These changes have to be made from the ad provider side of things so hang in there for a few days, it could take time for the changes to go through their internal processes and get to their dev team.

I will be tackling these other issues in the coming week; right now, I have some other pressing ad issues to deal with that have to be taken care of first.

• Carole Keller and ashbury like this

#24 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,253 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:26 PM

It's probably worth noting that the new format is crushing my CPU/RAM.Fan is running constantly when I'm on. I'm not losing sleep over it, but worth a note.

• ashbury likes this

#25 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,210 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:50 PM

It's probably worth noting that the new format is crushing my CPU/RAM. Fan is running constantly when I'm on. I'm not losing sleep over it, but worth a note.

Noted. We’re going to have to refine this process quite a bit but know that so far, our revenue appears to be rising enough to start talking about how to increase writer pay for the site.

It’s not a perfect process, I know, but it’s what makes Twins Daily work and draws writers into the fold. Without an increase in ad revenue, Tom wouldn’t have committed to his game recaps and writer management tasks. Regular writers wouldn’t keep doing MiLB recaps. Etc etc.

Everything has a price. We’ll keep trying to improve the experience but this is needed to keep Twins Daily moving forward.

Again, to emphasize, we owners take virtually nothing from the ad revenue pot. It’s there for writers, not ownership.
  • Carole Keller and diehardtwinsfan like this

#26 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,197 posts

Posted Today, 09:17 AM

FYI, work is being done on the flickering issue (which I finally saw for myself). These changes have to be made from the ad provider side of things so hang in there for a few days, it could take time for the changes to go through their internal processes and get to their dev team.

I will be tackling these other issues in the coming week; right now, I have some other pressing ad issues to deal with that have to be taken care of first.

Another issue I’m having with my iPad, which I suspect is related to the constant loading of ads(?), but I’m getting a lot of error messages about pages needing to be reloading because of a problem. Again, this is an iPad issue. Along with the constant jumping of pages, it’s a reading issue. But it really gets annoying when I’ve thought through and written a long post, and that happens before I hit post, I lose everything I’ve written and have to start over. I’m just letting you know the issues as they come up. I do appreciate you are working on things, and have priorities, just giving you the full picture of issues I’m experiencing.