Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Forum list page change and more ads?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,124 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:33 PM

I'm using Chrome, and starting a few minutes ago, seeing the list of threads in a forum is broken. The titles are much larger, and overlap the links and stuff. Also, there now appears to be a popup add at the bottom. Yuck.

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#2 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 21,566 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:42 PM

Same experience here, both in Firefox and Edge on my Windows 10 laptop.

Likewise on my Android phone when I switch to Full Version.

Nothing is impossible for the one who doesn't have to do the work.

#3 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 21,566 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:47 PM

0screen.jpg

• Mike Sixel likes this

#4 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,124 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:48 PM

I liked you posted an image, not that you too are having issues.......just to be clear....because, you know.

• ashbury likes this

#5 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,124 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:50 PM

Ya, there is a giant pop up (or poop, as my computer tried to type) ad on the right also.....covering a good chunk of the page/navigation.

#6 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 21,566 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:50 PM

I liked you posted an image, not that you too are having issues.......just to be clear....because, you know.

I took it to mean you saw roughly the same layout, and were saving bandwidth by not replying.

Then you replied.

Then I replied.

30vwvi.jpg

• Mike Sixel likes this

#7 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,197 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:11 PM

Yep, same problem here.

#8 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,124 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:41 PM

Please tell me I'm not now going to get pop up ads at the bottom of every page. 

• Twins33 likes this

#9 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,253 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 14 May 2019 - 06:16 AM

Lot's of weird rendering in the fourms with the individual topics expanding beyond their border in their table. I've seen it on both Edge and Firefox. 

#10 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,210 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:14 AM

We changed ad providers and a few things went awry. We’re working on getting it resolved. Expect things to be in a state of flux for a little while as we get it sorted.

#11 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,210 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:58 AM

The forum topic pages should be fixed now. It may require a cache refresh in your browser to display on your computer. Let me know if any of you find additional errors.

• ashbury likes this

#12 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,197 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:06 AM

The forum topic pages should be fixed now. It may require a cache refresh in your browser to display on your computer. Let me know if any of you find additional errors.

Seems okay on a quick look, but the pop up ad at the bottom is really annoying and needs to go away, if possible.

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,210 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:29 AM

Seems okay on a quick look, but the pop up ad at the bottom is really annoying and needs to go away, if possible.

We’ll be adjusting ads based on performance and annoyance.

But remember that almost all the money we make from ads goes right back to our writing community. We’re one of the only sites working under that model and we’re trying to angle an even larger per article payment for them.

So a little annoyance can go a long way if it means more and better content from the non-core writers such as Jeremy, Cody, Tom, et al.

#14 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,197 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:10 PM

We’ll be adjusting ads based on performance and annoyance.

But remember that almost all the money we make from ads goes right back to our writing community. We’re one of the only sites working under that model and we’re trying to angle an even larger per article payment for them.

So a little annoyance can go a long way if it means more and better content from the non-core writers such as Jeremy, Cody, Tom, et al.

Yes ... I'm fine with ads on the site because I understand what you want here ... but when they get in the way of function, i.e. cover up where I need to click because they pop up beyond their borders, that's when I'd say it's a tad beyond annoyance. But we'll see how it goes and give time for adjustment where needed.

#15 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,210 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:01 PM

Yes ... I'm fine with ads on the site because I understand what you want here ... but when they get in the way of function, i.e. cover up where I need to click because they pop up beyond their borders, that's when I'd say it's a tad beyond annoyance. But we'll see how it goes and give time for adjustment where needed.

The bottom overlay ad is what's bothering you, correct?

What resolution are you running? I'm on a 15" laptop screen most of the time (1680 resolution) and it doesn't bother me in the least. If you're running a lower res screen, it might be more of a nuisance. I'll adjust my res and use it that way for awhile to see what I think of it under those conditions.

#16 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,197 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 03:00 PM

The bottom overlay ad is what's bothering you, correct?

What resolution are you running? I'm on a 15" laptop screen most of the time (1680 resolution) and it doesn't bother me in the least. If you're running a lower res screen, it might be more of a nuisance. I'll adjust my res and use it that way for awhile to see what I think of it under those conditions.

It's most annoying when I use my tablet in full version mode. I use my tablet about 75% of the time. It's not as annoying when I'm on my actual desktop.

Ad Code Goes Here GOOD

#17 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,630 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:26 AM

It may be just me but I'm getting far more intrusive ads from TD now. Usually a banner taking a few inches of space on the bottom of my screen (currently it's a best buy one) and happens every time I open a page. I understand if you need the ads for revenue and I'm certainly not opposed to this as TD is an excellent form of free entertainment for me and others. But, if it is possible, getting rid of the banner ads would be wonderful.

#18 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,197 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:37 AM

It may be just me but I'm getting far more intrusive ads from TD now. Usually a banner taking a few inches of space on the bottom of my screen (currently it's a best buy one) and happens every time I open a page. I understand if you need the ads for revenue and I'm certainly not opposed to this as TD is an excellent form of free entertainment for me and others. But, if it is possible, getting rid of the banner ads would be wonderful.

I merged your question into this thread because the new ads were discussed here. The only issue I have with the ads is the pop-up banner at the bottom of the screen as it gets in the way of function.

• ashbury, gunnarthor and Twins33 like this

#19 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:40 PM

The new bottom ad causes flicker, takes up too much space and sometimes moves with the scroll on iPhone and iPad.

The experience is far worse than any of the handful of places I regularly go.

Up until now I have never considered an ad blocker and really don’t know anything about them. Ads are the cost of using the site. That cost is too high now.

My options will be not visit this site or figure out how to block them. Status quo is not an option.
  • Carole Keller and Twins33 like this

#20 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,210 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:30 PM

What iPad are you using? I haven’t seen any issues on my iPad Air 2 and certainly not any issues on my iPhone XS.