Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Duffey Recalled

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,021 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:50 PM

Pick a guy then, Mike. Pick a player it is acceptable to compare someone to when they are good enough to be on the 40 man, but not to be an automatic lock for the 25 man throughout the season. Compare him to that guy, and tell me why that guy is a waste of time when he has options to be used exactly in the manner in which he is being used.

You picked the comparison, not me. 

I wouldn't cut him, he has options. But that wasn't what you typed.

But, if I was going to call someone up, it would be him. But he would have a short leash, and if it doesn't work, then Romero, who should have a longer leash. Then whatever guy they feel is next up.

I have big doubts about Duffey, but sure, one more chance? I guess. 

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#22 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:54 PM

They can spend the time developing someone else, someone who has a future with the team.

"Because he's there" isn't a great tactic. Duffey's bad days in the majors could be someone else's learning time.

I get what you are saying, but the counter argument is that it is SO HARD to know when to pull the plug on a pitcher, particularly a relief pitcher. Especially when there is a new pitching coach that has me legitimately excited about what he can accomplish with someone like Duffey. 

I don't know if you watched the end of Saturday's game, but Duffey got me to sit up and pay attention even though it was 8-3. I mean, he was throwing 95+ and beating hitters with his fastball on the top of the zone. Watch this:

https://baseballsava...97-943a0821badb

https://baseballsava...92-7c1f16d4c456

https://baseballsava...64-db81cfc93fde

And he still has the curve and fooling batters with it:

https://baseballsava...85-9ed0879ee812

https://baseballsava...bc-04f8d97e5a2c

It is obviously a small sample size, and the outing was against Detroit. But Duffey has almost doubled the rate he is getting swinging strikes with his fastball compared to last season (and currently second on the team). I wouldn't say that there is fire here yet, but something is smoldering.

#23 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:56 PM

Duff pitched like I didn't expect last time out.Hopefully, he can be a pleasant surprise and big help to a bullpen that needs help.I also hope they don't send him back down the instant he has a hiccup.

• Mike Sixel, markos, LA VIkes Fan and 1 other like this

#24 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

SeƱor Member

• Members
  • 4,399 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 14 May 2019 - 03:01 PM

Alright... now that we've got the Wiz Wes here, I guess we can give Duffey another shot. Let's see if a little more MPH can fix him. It seems to me like his curveball is either totally lethal, or completely ineffective at times.

That's the point of the amped up heater: Imagine a universe where Tyler Duffey doesn't have to lean so heavily on throwing curve after curve. Suddenly the fastball is the cake, and the curve is just the frosting. That's a whole different recipe, homie.... ;-)

• DocBauer likes this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#25 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 03:18 PM

Why not Duffy? Who else is there? Yeah, Duffy was good in 2015 as a starter, stunk in 2016, was mediocre in 2017, stunk in 2018. Not a great track record. Understand the skepticism.

Buuuut... he's been good in his 6 MLB innings in 2019, and dominant in 13 AAA innings this year. The only other 2 AAA pitchers with comparable stats this year? McGill and Morin, both of whom are now in the Twins bullpen. Eades, Baxendale, Reed, Guilmet, all lousy in AAA. As I always say, performance matters. Duffy has performed. The rest of those guys, not so much. 

Sets up a mano a mano battle for a roster spot over the next 2 weeks between Duffy, Hildenberger, Adrianza, Astudillo, Morin and McGill. Probably really between the first 3 on that list.One goes to make room for Sano, sometime after 5/20. My money's on Hildenberger or Duffy going down if the starters keep pitching well. If not? I hate to say it but I bet the FO keeps Adrianza to be the backup SS/2B and Astudillo sees more AAA time.  

• DocBauer likes this

#26 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,628 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 03:24 PM

Why not Duffy? Who else is there? Yeah, Duffy was good in 2015 as a starter, stunk in 2016, was mediocre in 2017, stunk in 2018. Not a great track record. Understand the skepticism.

I'm willing to see if Duffey's increased heat can pay dividends, but since you're asking, I want the team to go down to AA and get Cody Stashak, who probably should have been put in AAA to start the year but isn't because of all the journeymen vets Rochester is carrying in the bullpen.

• Sconnie and DocBauer like this

#27 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,058 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 03:56 PM

Buuuut... he's been good in his 6 MLB innings in 2019, and dominant in 13 AAA innings this year. The only other 2 AAA pitchers with comparable stats this year? McGill and Morin, both of whom are now in the Twins bullpen. Eades, Baxendale, Reed, Guilmet, all lousy in AAA. As I always say, performance matters. Duffy has performed. The rest of those guys, not so much.

Sets up a mano a mano battle for a roster spot over the next 2 weeks between Duffy, Hildenberger, Adrianza, Astudillo, Morin and McGill. Probably really between the first 3 on that list. One goes to make room for Sano, sometime after 5/20. My money's on Hildenberger or Duffy going down if the starters keep pitching well. If not? I hate to say it but I bet the FO keeps Adrianza to be the backup SS/2B and Astudillo sees more AAA time.

Reed has had two horrendous outings in a row. Prior to that, and pretty much all of last year, he was very good in AAA. So, ask yourself if you think the real Jake Reed is the guy who through April had ammassed roughly 100 IP at AAA with an ERA a hair over 2 and a 1.2 WHIP with a K per 9 of about 9 or the guy that in 4 innings in May has an ERA over 17.

#28 scottz

scottz

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 04:58 PM

You picked the comparison, not me. 

I wouldn't cut him, he has options. But that wasn't what you typed.

But, if I was going to call someone up, it would be him. But he would have a short leash, and if it doesn't work, then Romero, who should have a longer leash. Then whatever guy they feel is next up.

I have big doubts about Duffey, but sure, one more chance? I guess. 

I'll be sure to work on my logical fallacies. Other than that, what you're saying here is pretty equivalent to what I said.

#29 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 05:16 PM

I'm willing to see if Duffey's increased heat can pay dividends, but since you're asking, I want the team to go down to AA and get Cody Stashak, who probably should have been put in AAA to start the year but isn't because of all the journeymen vets Rochester is carrying in the bullpen.

Interesting. Stats look good, but I don't know much about Stashak. Certainly seems worth a AAA spot potentially on his way up. I'm not adverse to giving a guy like that a shot over a retread like Morin or someone who needs to re-find himself like Hildenberger.  

• DocBauer likes this

#30 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 05:21 PM

Reed has had two horrendous outings in a row. Prior to that, and pretty much all of last year, he was very good in AAA. So, ask yourself if you think the real Jake Reed is the guy who through April had ammassed roughly 100 IP at AAA with an ERA a hair over 2 and a 1.2 WHIP with a K per 9 of about 9 or the guy that in 4 innings in May has an ERA over 17.

Actually, I was referring to Addison Reed not Jake Reed in my earlier post. I forgot about Jake Reed then, but he's is a guy I've wondered about for awhile. He has the good AAA stats for past years, but he never seems to get a chance. Yet he's been invited to spring training every year since 2015. It does make you wonder if the Twins have evaluated him and just don't think his stuff will play at the MLB level. What do we know about what he throws? 

#31 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,742 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:04 PM

You could see the fear in Duffey's eyes tonight. That's why he'll never be a good MLB reliever, IMO. The stage gets to big for him sometimes.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#32 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:10 PM

Tyler Duffy. Why not?

Mejia, what WILL happen to him. Perez is the lefty in the rotation this year and next. Is it bye-bye or does he become a minor league guy.

Yes, when Sano returns, do you send out Hildenberger? You have to keep Willians now if Garver is down. What happens when Addison Reed returns? Do we need to see Moya up and throwing the the pen>

The Twins bullpen...who would've thunk!?!

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#33 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,058 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:32 PM

Tyler Duffy. Why not?

Mejia, what WILL happen to him. Perez is the lefty in the rotation this year and next. Is it bye-bye or does he become a minor league guy.

Yes, when Sano returns, do you send out Hildenberger? You have to keep Willians now if Garver is down. What happens when Addison Reed returns? Do we need to see Moya up and throwing the the pen>

The Twins bullpen...who would've thunk!?!

There is no way the Twins are going to activate Addison Reed the way he is throwing.
  • ashbury likes this