Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Duffey Recalled

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

Official Bat Boy

• Members
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 03:41 PM

And Jake Cave is being sent back down to AAA, per twitter and the lineup card.

I think Duffey has a decent chance to stick around. Will be real interesting to see what happens with Sano's return now. I thought Cave would be the one on the way out for that move. Now I think it is Ehire, Hildy, or Morin. 

• Sconnie likes this

Career Game Thread Record: 9-3

Safe to say I am the key to the Twins' success 

#2 MNT1996

MNT1996

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 03:53 PM

I'm guessing they'll see who is more reliable this week between Duffey and Hildenberg. The less reliable one will get sent down when Sano comes back.

• scottz, ScrapTheNickname, Halsey Hall and 6 others like this

#3 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:27 PM

With the job Wes Johnson has done, pre-Wes results are almost meaningless to me.
Duffey gets a clean slate for me, let's see what his after-Johnson career looks like.
  • jimbo92107, Sconnie and DocBauer like this

#4 mrtwinsfan

mrtwinsfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:31 PM

Hildenberger has option left, Good time to use it

• LA VIkes Fan, Sconnie and DocBauer like this

#5 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,994 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:53 PM

Biggest problem with Duffey, IMHO, is lack of consistency with his curve. And it's bread and butter. Johnson preaches a consistent, repeatable delivery. Sure seems like Duffey had added velocity to his FB. Can he maintain that?

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#6 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:51 PM

Alright... now that we've got the Wiz Wes here, I guess we can give Duffey another shot. Let's see if a little more MPH can fix him. It seems to me like his curveball is either totally lethal, or completely ineffective at times.

• ashbury, jimbo92107 and Dman like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Mock Draft 2019

Running Back Rankings - 2019 Draft Class

#7 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:11 PM

Yep so we get to see Duffy for the 17th time and this one is the charm?
  • rghrbek and Vanimal46 like this

#8 akmanak

akmanak

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 05:52 AM

Duffy is a waste of space. How many chances does he get? Well it is just like a trade so I am sure this will stop their current slide. (Said no one)

#9 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:15 AM

Duffey is a waste of time.

• Vanimal46 likes this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#10 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,988 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:25 AM

The headline is correct. I remember him.

• ashbury, Mike Sixel, James and 3 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#11 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:30 AM

I'm very interested to see if Duffey can sustain the 95-96 fastball he displayed last Saturday. That's a potential game changer for him.

• USAFChief and nicksaviking like this

#12 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 21,715 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:33 AM

The headline is correct. I remember him.

My thinking is that this news based on the headline can only go well:

total-recall-movie-still.jpg

• USAFChief, James and Doomtints like this

Nothing is impossible for the one who doesn't have to do the work.

#13 scottz

scottz

• Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:57 AM

Duffey is a waste of time.

He's on the 40 man, he goes through stretches where he is successful, and he has options. Just because he - or anyone else - is not Mariano Rivera doesn't mean he is a waste of time.

Go look at the 40 man and see who should be up here, under the assumption that they wanted to go to 13 pitchers for reasons we don't fully know. But work from that assumption. Also, consider injuries. Also, take a look at recent performances. Considering all of that (and anything else you want to consider), who should be there instead?

One thing I really like about this front office is that they seem to be making good use of the 40 man and players with options. No team has 40 superstars on their 40 man. You have to make good use of the resources you have, and Duffey is a resource.

• ashbury, 70charger and DocBauer like this

#14 spanman2

spanman2

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:37 AM

If they can get Duffey rolling that would be HUGE!!!Like a really big deal if he can hit 96 on the fastball with movement.A very very important piece to the bullpen puzzle.  

I WAS TOLD I WOULD NEVER MAKE IT BECAUSE I AM TOO SHORT. WELL, I'M STILL TOO SHORT. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR HEIGHT IS. IT'S WHAT'S IN YOUR HEART.

KIRBY PUCKETT

#15 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:44 AM

The pieces are falling into place for the bullpen. As a group they rank 8th in WAR, 13th in ERA, and 10th in FIP.This is a borderline top 10 bullpen. Hopefully Duffey will stick around in that elusive last spot. With just one addition in July this could be a great bullpen.

We are also 5th overall in runs allowed per game (4.00) including starters and 7th in runs scored per game (5.25).

#16 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:09 PM

He's on the 40 man, he goes through stretches where he is successful, and he has options. Just because he - or anyone else - is not Mariano Rivera doesn't mean he is a waste of time.

Go look at the 40 man and see who should be up here, under the assumption that they wanted to go to 13 pitchers for reasons we don't fully know. But work from that assumption. Also, consider injuries. Also, take a look at recent performances. Considering all of that (and anything else you want to consider), who should be there instead?

One thing I really like about this front office is that they seem to be making good use of the 40 man and players with options. No team has 40 superstars on their 40 man. You have to make good use of the resources you have, and Duffey is a resource.

They can spend the time developing someone else, someone who has a future with the team.

"Because he's there" isn't a great tactic. Duffey's bad days in the majors could be someone else's learning time.

• Mike Sixel and Sconnie like this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#17 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,164 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:16 PM

Nice straw man. No one is asking he be the best closer ever to be on the roster.

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#18 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

SeƱor Member

• Members
  • 4,114 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:59 PM

With the job Wes Johnson has done, pre-Wes results are almost meaningless to me.
Duffey gets a clean slate for me, let's see what his after-Johnson career looks like.

Agree completely. Tyler Duffey with *command* of a 95mph heater becomes a new pitcher, just like Martin Perez. If Duffey had that pitch a couple years ago, he'd still be in the starting rotation. 

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#19 scottz

scottz

• Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:33 PM

Nice straw man. No one is asking he be the best closer ever to be on the roster.

Pick a guy then, Mike. Pick a player it is acceptable to compare someone to when they are good enough to be on the 40 man, but not to be an automatic lock for the 25 man throughout the season. Compare him to that guy, and tell me why that guy is a waste of time when he has options to be used exactly in the manner in which he is being used.

#20 scottz

scottz

• Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:42 PM

They can spend the time developing someone else, someone who has a future with the team.

"Because he's there" isn't a great tactic. Duffey's bad days in the majors could be someone else's learning time.

I think it's a completely defensible tactic, especially when it's quite possible that someone else could easily have just as many (or more) bad days in the majors (or else they would have chosen those options, wouldn't they?). They don't want to potentially lose a resource (Duffey) by removing him from the 40 man and exposing him to other teams. They obviously don't feel that youth - like Romero - is a better option or they would use him instead. Same with Vazquez.

I really don't think using someone who is in Duffey's situation is a bad call up. And he might even be an asset. Let's see if he can build on the 6.1 innings he has thrown so far for the big league club in 2019.

Edited by scottz, 14 May 2019 - 01:43 PM.

• DocBauer likes this