Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Rogers

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,779 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:54 AM

Taylor Rogers hasn't pitched since May 7th, and only twice since April 29th. There were logical places to use him this weekend against Detroit.

Nursing an injury?
  • glunn and bighat like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#2 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,779 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:06 AM

I'm guessing they are just being super conservative with the one true bright spot in the bullpen. And don't forget, the starting pitchers have been going at least 6 innings for about the past week.

• nicksaviking, tarheeltwinsfan and bunt_vs_the_shift like this

#3 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,487 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:40 AM

I hate to suggest it because the answer drives me a little crazy but...

The Tigers and Blue Jays are not blessed with left-handed hitters. 

Neither are the Yankees or Astros for that matter. 

Like I said... I hate to suggest it because I disagree with what I am suggesting.

Conservation is my suggestion because we only have one left hander in the bullpen and his name is Taylor Rogers. 

Here come the Angels with 5 left handed hitters to contend with and a bunch of lefties with the Mariners... If Rogers is healthy and If I'm right... We will see him alot this week. 

So yeah... my guess is conservation and It's the opposite of what I'd like to see done with Rogers.  

• glunn, nicksaviking, Dman and 2 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#4 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,291 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:18 AM

Rogers has 14 appearances this season. Only once has he entered a game trailing, and it was by only 1 run in the 8th inning.

So according to that usage pattern, there was really only one opportunity to bring him in this weekend -- game 1 Saturday, especially once we tied the game. And indeed Rogers was warming up alongside Hildenberger in the 8th inning, as I recall. But Hildy hadn't been over-worked either, and should have been able to get through the Tigers 7-8-9 hitters, all RHB. I suspect we would have seen Rogers, if Hildy had allowed a baserunner while the game was still tied, but he gave up a dinger instead.

• glunn, Riverbrian, stringer bell and 2 others like this

#5 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,714 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:53 AM

I hate to suggest it because the answer drives me a little crazy but...

The Tigers and Blue Jays are not blessed with left-handed hitters. 

Neither are the Yankees or Astros for that matter. 

Like I said... I hate to suggest it because I disagree with what I am suggesting.

Conservation is my suggestion because we only have one left hander in the bullpen and his name is Taylor Rogers. 

Here come the Angels with 5 left handed hitters to contend with and a bunch of lefties with the Mariners... If Rogers is healthy and If I'm right... We will see him alot this week. 

So yeah... my guess is conservation and It's the opposite of what I'd like to see done with Rogers.  

I agree it looks like they might be saving him. After last year though, I'm not sure I'm completely against it; some of those arms looked really burned out. I still want to see Rogers end the year with the most IP out of the pen, since he is the pen's best arm after all. If they're keeping him fresh for the 2nd half, I might get behind that.

Of course if it doesn't pay off, criticism is fair game.

• DocBauer and bighat like this

#6 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,307 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:31 AM

I agree it looks like they might be saving him. After last year though, I'm not sure I'm completely against it; some of those arms looked really burned out. I still want to see Rogers end the year with the most IP out of the pen, since he is the pen's best arm after all. If they're keeping him fresh for the 2nd half, I might get behind that.

Of course if it doesn't pay off, criticism is fair game.

it seems to me that Baldelli and the FO are trying to develop Magill into a higher leverage reliever. If they can do that and have a stronger bullpen throughout the season, it’s a significant win.
  • glunn, nicksaviking, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#7 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:50 PM

it seems to me that Baldelli and the FO are trying to develop Magill into a higher leverage reliever. If they can do that and have a stronger bullpen throughout the season, it’s a significant win.

Magill has good K rate, but really nothing else about his experience at the MLB level suggests he is a candidate for high leverage situations. He allows way too many hits, way too many walks and way too many HR. Might be able to succeed with one of those factors, MAYBE two. Not all three. Doesn’t mean he can’t contribute, but “reliable” isn’t a word likely to be associated with Magill IMO.
  • LA VIkes Fan likes this

#8 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:27 PM

5/8:9-1 over Toronto, not needed

5/10:6-0 over Detroit, not needed

5/11:1st game, 5-3 loss, warming up in 8th, Twins tie but don't go ahead, bring in Hildy who gives up 2

5/11:2nd game, 8-3 over Detroit, Twins cruised after the fifth, not needed

5/12:5-3 loss to Detroit, managed 3 in bottom of 7th to narrow gap, no need to bring in Rogers

You worry too much.Rogers and Hildy have been used plenty.Give them a break when possible.

• bighat likes this

#9 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:39 PM

Hildy. Argh.

• nicksaviking, kwazie71 and bighat like this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#10 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,307 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:54 PM

Magill has good K rate, but really nothing else about his experience at the MLB level suggests he is a candidate for high leverage situations. He allows way too many hits, way too many walks and way too many HR. Might be able to succeed with one of those factors, MAYBE two. Not all three. Doesn’t mean he can’t contribute, but “reliable” isn’t a word likely to be associated with Magill IMO.

of the low leverage options available to try out into the situations you can’t put Hildenberger into anymore and don’t want to put Rogers into (every time) I’d think Magill is as good as any of them.

#11 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,940 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:00 PM

I have few complaints on how Rocco has used his RP. But as fresh as Rogers is, I think he should have used in at least 1 of the 2 spots Hildenberger was used. Doesnt guarantee victory, but it may have helped. And it wouldn't have burned Rogers out to face the Angels.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#12 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,940 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:03 PM

Going on memory, but I dont believe he has allowed too many hits. It's been BB and HR that hurt him.

But his track history is a single rookie season. The FB and breaking pitch are there. A little more consistency...and there is that word again...and I could see him potentially taking a step forward in his 2nd year.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown