Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 8, DET 3: Now Witness the Firepower

c.j. cron marwin gonzalez kohl stewart tyler duffey
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Longdistancetwins

Longdistancetwins

• 183 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:46 AM

I just purchased a new device that included Siri.First question: "Who's the best team in baseball?"She passed the test. :)

• Dantes929, Hosken Bombo Disco and PDX Twin like this

#22 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,272 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:03 AM

Might be the first time I've ever listened to an interview with Stewart. Agree he sounded very candid about today, no excuses, knew what worked and what didnt and made some adjustments.

Still only 24yo until after the season and in his first full season of AAA, and yet it just feels like he's been around forever.

He scares me when I watch him sometimes as it seems he's just on the edge. But as he stated, if he can get that 3rd (of 4) pitch working most nights, he shows he can at least be solid. I think we all know by now he's just not going to be the top of the rotation guy we hoped for. And at 24, he's not exactly a late bloomer. He just is what he is and what he's going to be, which is probably a nice, solid #4-5 SP. There is still real value in that.

I thought the interview was very interesting. He got a win and a quality start, but was candid that he wasn't close to dominant. It is a tough life for a starting pitcher nowadays if you can't strike out guys and have to depend on the fielders behind you (and high walls). Stewart doesn't have a swing and miss or putaway pitch. He does get a lot of ground balls. 

IMHO, unless he finds another consistent effective pitch, he's not even a #4 or #5 starter. He is still relatively young and perhaps he will blossom. It is no small feat for any high school draft choice to make the majors and he has done that. 

• DocBauer likes this

#23 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• 2,053 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:06 AM

Would be interested to see if Stewart would increase his velocity significantly out of the bullpen.

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#24 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,667 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:11 AM

Duffey has been such a frustrating enigma. Looked like the move to the rotation was a smart one, and then it blew up. No problem, just move him to the pen again. Except, he's just been so inconsistent there as well.

Inconsistent is what we hear most about Duffey, May, Hildenberger and Romero. To me this is the best case to be made for letting guys like these pitch more than one inning when they are throwing well.  

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#25 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 630 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:13 PM

I thought the interview was very interesting. He got a win and a quality start, but was candid that he wasn't close to dominant. It is a tough life for a starting pitcher nowadays if you can't strike out guys and have to depend on the fielders behind you (and high walls). Stewart doesn't have a swing and miss or putaway pitch. He does get a lot of ground balls. 

IMHO, unless he finds another consistent effective pitch, he's not even a #4 or #5 starter. He is still relatively young and perhaps he will blossom. It is no small feat for any high school draft choice to make the majors and he has done that. 

I think there's still room for a pitcher who induces a lot of weak contact in MLB, but in order to be successful long term that pitcher needs to not walk guys while not grooving the ball in on those 3 ball counts. You just can't afford the extra baserunners, because you're giving up more hits too and the double play isn't always going to come.

It was unsustainable for Gibson because he was churning out a WHIP of 1.5. Two years where he'd have games where he'd go 8 innings and guys are beating the ball into the turf, then get knocked around for 4-5 runs and be done after 5. Gibson changed the pitch mix, upped the Ks and cut down the hits putting himself into a much more consistent and sustainable approach. If Stewart can drop the walks while not getting more hittable, he won't necessarily have to change his mix and approach to be a sturdy innings eater. I don''t know if he has the command to make that happen, but maybe Wes Johnson can help him figure that out too.

#26 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,780 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:34 PM

And a question for all of you.With one-quarter of the season nearly behind us, is Mitch Garver the best hitting catcher in baseball?The kid is on track for 30 some home runs while playing in just over half the games.With an average well over .300, he sure is answering the question of who should be the Twins starting catcher the next five plus years.  

It's been a good season. I used baseball-reference.com to locate all major league catchers with at least 50 plate appearances, who have played at least half their games at Catcher.

Mitch's OPS of 1.223 coming into today's game is tops.

Of all time.

• rdehring and railmarshalljon like this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#27 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,164 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 07:01 PM

Would be interested to see if Stewart would increase his velocity significantly out of the bullpen.

I think his control is the issue. Walks are always bad, but even worse in relief.

Edited by Shaitan, 12 May 2019 - 07:01 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: c.j. cron, marwin gonzalez, kohl stewart, tyler duffey