Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: DET 5, MIN 3: Tigers Out-Tater Twins, Gardy Gets Tossed

michael pineda jason castro c.j. cron trevor hildenberger ron gardenhire
  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:01 PM

One month a year does not make for a reliable option. And the 5 inherited runners scored that created 3 losses ( I think 3, without looking it up, at least 2....) count too in April, even though it was passed on to his teammate's stats. I want him to be good, too. But when he is sucking..... just throwing him out there again the next day does not mean he will change overnight.

I have no issue with most of this.However, MOST of this season he has been reliable for this team.Hell, I don't think it's hyperbole to say he came in and bailed us out of several losses in April.He was getting thrown into a ridiculous number of high leverage situations too.(He leads all of baseball in having had 19 inherited runners)

Edit: He only really cost us the Toronto game.3 of the 5 inherited runners scored in NY when we were already down 6-1.We rallied a bit to make it look closer.

He's been brutal in May so far and you're right - when he's brutal - stop putting him into anything resembling a high leverage situation.He's streaky, so ride him when he's hot and bury him when he's not.What I take issue with is the idea he wasn't good in April.He absolutely was.  

Edited by TheLeviathan, 12 May 2019 - 03:04 PM.

#42 jz7233

jz7233

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:13 PM

Hildenberg is really the difference in these two games against the Tigers. 2 innings 4 runs. I am certain the Tigers figured him out. Hildenberg needs to get more innings in AAA.

#43 jz7233

jz7233

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:28 PM

If Romero has more command of his pitches, he is certainly a better pitcher than Hildenberg. Duffey is a better option than Hildenberg right now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: michael pineda, jason castro, c.j. cron, trevor hildenberger, ron gardenhire