Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: DET 5, MIN 3: Tigers Out-Tater Twins, Gardy Gets Tossed

michael pineda jason castro c.j. cron trevor hildenberger ron gardenhire
  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• 906 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 11 May 2019 - 06:13 PM

Hildenberger has been more like the Hindenburger lately....

Why did this joke take so long? C'mon people!

#22 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,478 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 11 May 2019 - 06:53 PM

You lose some from time to time.Hildy has been pretty damn good all year.

That said, I'm not sure I like Baldelli's decision to bring him in, that should be May there.Or Parker.Or whomever your best reliever is.

Hmmmmm. And I watch the same games. He has been pretty damn good a few times....... all year. Don't mind the numbers.

Baldelli certainly thinks the same it appears.

• adorduan likes this

#23 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• 10,111 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:27 PM

If you demote Hildeberger, who do you promote?

Cody Stashak; 1.59 ERA, 0.647 WHIP, 14.8 K/9, 1.1 BB/9 in AA

• h2oface and Don't Feed the Greed Guy like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#24 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• 10,111 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:29 PM

Hildy has been pretty damn good all year.

Since when a 5.68 ERA and a 1.74 WHIP is "pretty damn good"? Maybe for the other teams...

• h2oface likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#25 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• 932 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:29 PM

C'mon, this is on Baldelli, for once.

Tigers were throwing a MLB debut rookie in the encore, and after Cron ties it in the 8th of the opener, why don't you lead your Ace in the very next inning?Rogers.

That's called "balling it".

Let the Tigers deal with the fact that they aren't going to score and need to hold the Twins? Do they bring in Shane Green?Doubtful.

Twins threw one away on the Hildenberger fantasy. Not the end of the world, but sweep the Tigers when you got them pinned like that.

#26 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,418 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:00 PM

C'mon, this is on Baldelli, for once.

Tigers were throwing a MLB debut rookie in the encore, and after Cron ties it in the 8th of the opener, why don't you lead your Ace in the very next inning?Rogers.

That's called "balling it".

Let the Tigers deal with the fact that they aren't going to score and need to hold the Twins? Do they bring in Shane Green?Doubtful.

Twins threw one away on the Hildenberger fantasy. Not the end of the world, but sweep the Tigers when you got them pinned like that.

Score more than 2 runs off the rookie and then we can talk.Team left 10 men on base.Asking Hildy to throw a clean inning against the Tigers isn't a fantasy.If I am "pinning" the loss on anyone it's the offense personally.

• DocBauer likes this

#27 jz7233

jz7233

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 578 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:46 PM

Score more than 2 runs off the rookie and then we can talk.Team left 10 men on base.Asking Hildy to throw a clean inning against the Tigers isn't a fantasy.If I am "pinning" the loss on anyone it's the offense personally.

This rookie has an ERA of 2.42 this year. I guess he is not an ordinary rookie. I am pinning the loss on the fact that Hildenberg gave up 2 ERs in only one inning. Unfortunately it is the most important inning in the game. Tell me which is worse scoring 2 runs in 5.2 innings against a pretty good rookie or giving up 2 runs in just one inning against a bad lineup. Again no excuse for Hildenberg or the manager who put him in the game.

#28 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 579 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:53 AM

This kind of loss will happen to the Twins from time to time. The Twins are a good team but with paper thin margins when injuries crop up. I mean were now plugging in a player who is hitting .130 after his 'big' offensive day.

#29 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• 698 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:47 AM

Send down Hildy and call Glen "The Hobbit" Perkins out of retirement. He's rockin' that Amish beard!
  • Original Whizzinator likes this

#30 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,588 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 05:26 AM

Saved Rogers for a lead

Would have been waiting a long time for this. Forever, even.

Edited by AlwaysinModeration, 12 May 2019 - 05:29 AM.

#31 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,257 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:13 AM

Like it or not, Rocco is going to have to be pretty careful with the pen. We play 10 straight games and only have a couple relievers that we can ride in situations like that.

Guys like Hildy have to come through. He didn't unfortunately. He's also come through at other times this year, so I'm not quite ready to give up on him... one thing that does seem rather odd is that he's not as good starting clean innings than as when coming in during a bad one. Not quite sure what to make of that... SSS I know, but he's given up a lot of runs when he's had time to warm up. 

• DocBauer likes this

#32 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,058 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:27 AM

This rookie has an ERA of 2.42 this year. I guess he is not an ordinary rookie. I am pinning the loss on the fact that Hildenberg gave up 2 ERs in only one inning. Unfortunately it is the most important inning in the game. Tell me which is worse scoring 2 runs in 5.2 innings against a pretty good rookie or giving up 2 runs in just one inning against a bad lineup. Again no excuse for Hildenberg or the manager who put him in the game.

the blame falls on the front office who built a pen that includes Hildenberger as a featured piece.
  • Thrylos and jz7233 like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#33 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,581 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:31 AM

Sorry, wasn't clear there, my bad. If you demote him from high leverage situations, who moves into them?

The solution is not obvious, but at this point it might be Harper or Magill.Unless there is a minor league option we cannot drop Hildenberger, we are already short of relievers.However, we cannot make the mistake of relying on him like we did the end of last year.He seems to have a limit to effective innings and is better used less often. 

#34 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,584 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:53 AM

You lose some from time to time. Hildy has been pretty damn good all year.

That said, I'm not sure I like Baldelli's decision to bring him in, that should be May there. Or Parker. Or whomever your best reliever is.

Agreed. Hildenberger has been very good. Now he's had a couple bad games in a row. Such is the nature of life as a RP. Now, if the trend continues and doesnt reverse itself soon, it's time to worry.

That being said, I still dont understand May for a handful of pitches. No reason he couldn't have and shouldn't have started a clean 9th.

Very hard to win a game only scoring 3 runs and leaving how many guys in scoring position?

Lost in all of this is Pineda's best start. 3 runs in 6 IP is 3 runs in 6 IP no matter how you look at it. When his performance is something to complain about, you really dont have anything to complain about.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#35 jz7233

jz7233

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 578 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:27 PM

I would prefer Duffey over Hildenberg right now.

#36 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,478 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 12 May 2019 - 02:04 PM

Hildenberger's stat line since the all-star break last year do not lie.

Edited by h2oface, 12 May 2019 - 02:06 PM.

#37 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 02:10 PM

Since when a 5.68 ERA and a 1.74 WHIP is "pretty damn good"? Maybe for the other teams...

Is this argument for real?Dude made 13 appearances in March/April with a 1.93 ERA.Yeah, I'm going to look past a couple rough patches and say that, by and large, he's been pretty good for us.Especially given how high leverage the situations were he was being used in.

He's struggling hard right now, but that's also a problem we've seen from him.He seems to be a bit streaky.Hence why he shouldn't be considered one of our top relievers.

#38 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,478 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 12 May 2019 - 02:23 PM

And for the last part of 2018, after the all-star game.....

9.00 ERA, 1.81 WHIP, .325 average against.

He was really only "real good" in May, and pretty good in June.

I want him to be good, too. And I remember the game this year he came in with the bases sacked and mowed 'em down. But facts are facts.

• Thrylos likes this

#39 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 02:26 PM

I want him to be good, too. And I remember the game this year he came in with the bases sacked and mowed 'em down. But facts are facts.

How were his 13 appearances in April?

#40 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,478 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 12 May 2019 - 02:46 PM

How were his 13 appearances in April?

One month a year does not make for a reliable option. And the 5 inherited runners scored that created 3 losses ( I think 3, without looking it up, at least 2....) count too in April, even though it was passed on to his teammate's stats. I want him to be good, too. But when he is sucking..... just throwing him out there again the next day does not mean he will change overnight.

Edited by h2oface, 12 May 2019 - 02:51 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: michael pineda, jason castro, c.j. cron, trevor hildenberger, ron gardenhire