Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Interesting roster moves?

stewart 26th man astudillo gonzalez castro
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,668 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:35 AM

It was announced that Martín Pérez is on paternity leave and that Kohl Stewart will replace Pérez. The Twins have a doubleheader scheduled today and no off days in the next ten days. I would assume Stewart will start the makeup game this evening. Berríos could start on Sunday on normal rest and Gibson could go on Monday, but then the team would need another starter for Tuesday unless Pérez is back. With Pineda scheduled to start this afternoon's tilt (and considering his recent struggles) it would seem that suddenly an eight-man bullpen makes sense. Is that why Astudillo hasn't been activated? It appears that Marwin Gonzalez won't miss much time, but with a doubleheader scheduled today, it would be nice if he was available immediately

Who will the extra player be for the nightcap tonight? I would assume it is a relief pitcher.

What seemed pretty straightforward is now pretty jumbled. I'd hate to see the Twins' roll ended because of substandard play by their temporary callups.

• glunn and DocBauer like this

#2 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,743 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:48 AM

Well, unless that player is already in MN, I don't know if they can get someone here tonight. Maybe they activate Astudillo before the game?

#3 psturnbloom

psturnbloom

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:48 AM

I read from a reporter or someone in the know on Twitter that Perez said he’d be available for Sunday.

#4 psturnbloom

psturnbloom

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:50 AM

Well, unless that player is already in MN, I don't know if they can get someone here tonight. Maybe they activate Astudillo before the game?

I hope this is what they do. It seems like he’s ready(?) But Rocco appears to be erring in the side of caution when it comes to players’ readiness.

#5 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:01 AM

I don’t know if it is any disruption at all. It may be good fortune in timing.

The Twins were going to need an additional start playing 6 games in 5 days. Paternity leave is up to 3 games (or days). Either way they need him back by Tuesday to keep everyone on schedule.

This way the Twins get both a 26th man and a paternity leave replacement. They keep everyone on track. They only need this 1 start from AAA and not an additional one if the baby coincided with the double header.

Edited by jorgenswest, 11 May 2019 - 08:01 AM.

• DocBauer likes this

#6 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:01 AM

I also saw Perez would be available to start tomorrow.He probably left yesterday, but Twins only needed a roster spot for today.I would not think it was that difficult to get someone from Rochester to the Twin Cities leaving this morning.

#7 Aichiman

Aichiman

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:23 AM

What I would do is activate The Turtle for the 2nd game.Play him at catcher or 3rd base depending on the availability of Castro. Then designate Cave as the 26th man.Then send Cave down on Sunday. 

#8 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:24 AM

The double header was scheduled, not last minute, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone was on his way yesterday already.

Stewart makes his start and is down almost immediately. Obviously the 26th man heads down immediately. You then activate Astudillo after the double header but have every arm available for today in the event of either/both games turning in to bullpen affairs.

Of course, I'm projecting Morin to go down. I don't think we need the 8th man in the pen right now.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#9 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:26 AM

I think they get the 26th man for both games given the double header was scheduled more than 48 hours in advance.

If Willians is ready they should be able to have him for both games.

If they get through the two games without overworking the bullpen they might consider sending down Romero.

#10 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:29 AM

My understanding is that because the DH was scheduled more than 48 hours in advance, the 26th man can play in both games. That means it makes sense for Stewart to be the paternity leave guy so that they can call up a reliever or position player to have available to use in both games. 

#11 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:30 AM

The double header was scheduled, not last minute, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone was on his way yesterday already.
Stewart makes his start and is down almost immediately. Obviously the 26th man heads down immediately. You then activate Astudillo after the double header but have every arm available for today in the event of either/both games turning in to bullpen affairs.
Of course, I'm projecting Morin to go down. I don't think we need the 8th man in the pen right now.

I think Stewart has to be be replaced by Perez. He is here for Perez on paternity leave. Astudillo can be the 26th man. I don’t think Morin has options so I wonder if they would send Romero if they don’t send Cave.

#12 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:33 AM

Romero needs to pitch. If he isn’t going to be a mainstay in the Twins pen then he should go down

#13 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• Members
  • 1,713 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:33 AM

I would guess that Astudillo is the 26th man and after the game it will be either Cave or Romero depending on how the day goes

#14 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:58 AM

Romero needs to pitch. If he isn’t going to be a mainstay in the Twins pen then he should go down

It's only been a few games so far, but I'd say he's not ready for MLB yet. He's looked awful in a short sample.

#15 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:01 AM

Duffey is the 26th man. The Twins have plenty of protection in the case of two short starts.

They can also option Romero or DFA Morin after game 1 and bring in Astudillo for game 2.

#16 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 10,434 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:20 AM

Can i ask the stupid question? Did Martín Perez’s wife just have a baby? Something else? Where is the family?

Usually we hear hints or rumors when something like this is coming!

#17 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,425 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:04 AM

So... the final verdict.... just to kind of close out this topic:

Tyler Duffey was the 26th man, so he was sent back down right after the 2nd game.

Martin Perez was placed on the paternity list. Kohl Stewart took his spot on the roster. After the game, he was optioned to Rochester. Perez will be activated before Sunday's game. The Paternity list is a 1-3 day thing. I don't know if his wife is still in Venezuela, or Texas or with him in Minneapolis.

Astudillo is being activated before Sunday's game. Fernando Romero was optioned to Rochester. Brings the Twins back to 12 pitchers and four bench players. 

• Hosken Bombo Disco and DocBauer like this

#18 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,668 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:12 AM

Parker and Rogers weren’t used, May and Morin threw less than 10 pitches. It appears the survived the double dip quite well.
  • USAFChief and DocBauer like this

#19 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:53 AM

So... the final verdict.... just to kind of close out this topic:

Tyler Duffey was the 26th man, so he was sent back down right after the 2nd game.

Martin Perez was placed on the paternity list. Kohl Stewart took his spot on the roster. After the game, he was optioned to Rochester. Perez will be activated before Sunday's game. The Paternity list is a 1-3 day thing. I don't know if his wife is still in Venezuela, or Texas or with him in Minneapolis.

Astudillo is being activated before Sunday's game. Fernando Romero was optioned to Rochester. Brings the Twins back to 12 pitchers and four bench players.

Pretty much as predicted. I think Romero just needs to pitch on a more consistent basis. Stuff is nasty but just too all over the place.

No offense to Morin, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Duffey take his place sooner rather than later if he keeps up what hes been doing so far.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#20 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 10,434 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:00 AM

Boy or girl? who won the pool for May? 11 :)

asking for a friend. I guess we should find out today when he returns

Edited by Hosken Bombo Disco, 12 May 2019 - 10:02 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stewart, 26th man, astudillo, gonzalez, castro