Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 6, DET 0: Odorizzi Deals (Again), Twins Win Fourth in a Row

jake odorizzi jorge polanco max kepler mitch garver
  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• 423 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 11 May 2019 - 06:31 AM

Congratulations to Perez and his family by the way. If it's a boy, hopefully they name him Harmon or Joe :)

• Dantes929 likes this

#22 the_brute_squad

the_brute_squad

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 64 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 06:37 AM

Is Mitch Garver gonna make the all star game?that would've been a hot take coming into the year. He and polanco have been incredible but to me polanco is far less surprising. When la Tortuga comes back on days garver isnt catching her needs to be at first. His bat needs to be in the lineup every night

#23 the_brute_squad

the_brute_squad

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 64 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 06:40 AM

It's been a long time since the Twins have been able to use their bench as a strength. Garver, Tortuga, Marwin,etc... The Yanks and Sox have been able to go to their bench and not lose a step. A lot of those players would have started for the Twins. The fact that the aforementioned players are available on the bench after the 7th innings make me a believer in this squad.

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#24 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 2,851 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:20 AM

Does Astudillo come off the IL and play 3rd today in Marwin's absense? Or are the Twins going to play Adrianza in both games? You'd think this would be an ideal time to activate La Tortuga. From all reports he's ready....or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Hope Gonzalez is OK and not affected in any way long-term. We've seen those blows to the head derail careers.

#25 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,286 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:07 AM

We’re 12-3 when we hit more than one home run in a game.

In other news, we have had 15 multi-HR games so far this season.

• USAFChief likes this

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#26 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,089 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:09 AM

In other news, we have had 15 multi-HR games so far this season.

and we somehow managed to lose THREE of them.

Fire Baldelli!!1!
  • ashbury and Dman like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#27 LVTwinsfan

LVTwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,116 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:15 AM

Does Astudillo come off the IL and play 3rd today in Marwin's absense? Or are the Twins going to play Adrianza in both games? You'd think this would be an ideal time to activate La Tortuga. From all reports he's ready....or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Hope Gonzalez is OK and not affected in any way long-term. We've seen those blows to the head derail careers.

You know horses are smarter than people. You never heard of a horse going broke betting on people.  - Will Rogers

#28 LVTwinsfan

LVTwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,116 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:16 AM

Umm, Sano?

You know horses are smarter than people. You never heard of a horse going broke betting on people.  - Will Rogers

#29 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:35 AM

Not that it really matters, but after this 6-0 game they actually have a +50 run differential (not +44).And after the full night's action that is actually 3rd in the AL, and tied for 3rd across MLB (Cubs and Dodgers both also have +50).  

12 above .500 and +50 RD (for comparison's sake, 2017 twins ended with just a +27 RD).Heckuva season!

Fixed, thank you.

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#30 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,120 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:49 AM

I asked in the game thread, but it was end of night. Has Romero been used in back-to back games in the minors yet?

Great win. I'm excited.

To nitpick, I'm a little surprised at the choice of Magill + Romero before the DH, just because those are the two candidate to give you 2+ innings if needed today.

Who a I kidding? Nothing can go wrong right now.

• bighat likes this

#31 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 591 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:27 AM

Like others on this comment section I wonder why the love affair for Stewart.Is he the best in the minors right now?I know it is a push but I would rather see Graterol begin to experience the bigs - his stuff should play well anywhere. 

Reading the minor league report on TD I know that Addison Reed is not ready to come up and perform, and DeJong is earning his DFA status.Littell has a better ERA than Stewart, have we given up on him?And Poppen is better than both.  

Just curious.

I'm sorry, but it's a ridiculous idea to bring up Graterol at this point. He's only 7 starts in at AA and you want to toss him in the fire (and burn an option year) to pitch in the doubleheader? He's not even on the 40-man yet. Be patient on Graterol, he's the best option we have to develop an ace out of the minors right now, that's far more important than grabbing him for a doubleheader against the Tigers in May.

Stewart is the right choice, not just because of where he falls in Rochester's rotation but because he's also pitched in MLB and had a couple of successful outings. He's also going to understand that he's on the Rochester shuttle until he proves it.

Thorpe is a guy you want to bring up when he's going to have a chance to stick for more than a spot start, and hes shown he still has things to do in AAA. He only made 4 starts there last season.

Littell is certainly an option, and will probably get the next shot if Stewart tanks it, but he got rocked pretty hard when he was up last year.

Poppen isn't on the 40-man either, and has made exactly 1 start above AA, and frankly I'm not prepared to say hes better than Stewart at all. He's a year older than Stewart and while he deserved the promotion out of AA, the shiny ERA is a bit deceptive. He's walking way too many batters to have any confidence that he's ready to face MLB pitching.

Stewart is the right call for now.

• jorgenswest, Danchat, DocBauer and 4 others like this

#32 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,598 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:48 AM

I'm sorry, but it's a ridiculous idea to bring up Graterol at this point. He's only 7 starts in at AA and you want to toss him in the fire (and burn an option year) to pitch in the doubleheader? He's not even on the 40-man yet. Be patient on Graterol, he's the best option we have to develop an ace out of the minors right now, that's far more important than grabbing him for a doubleheader against the Tigers in May.

Stewart is the right choice, not just because of where he falls in Rochester's rotation but because he's also pitched in MLB and had a couple of successful outings. He's also going to understand that he's on the Rochester shuttle until he proves it.

Thorpe is a guy you want to bring up when he's going to have a chance to stick for more than a spot start, and hes shown he still has things to do in AAA. He only made 4 starts there last season.

Littell is certainly an option, and will probably get the next shot if Stewart tanks it, but he got rocked pretty hard when he was up last year.

Poppen isn't on the 40-man either, and has made exactly 1 start above AA, and frankly I'm not prepared to say hes better than Stewart at all. He's a year older than Stewart and while he deserved the promotion out of AA, the shiny ERA is a bit deceptive. He's walking way too many batters to have any confidence that he's ready to face MLB pitching.

Stewart is the right call for now.

I will call it a little premature rather than ridiculous.  How many years does a guy have that throws high 90's?  I agree his stuff should play well anywhere, his walk rate is good and if he does well I would have no problem with him taking the 5th spot.  Is he really learning stuff or is he just waiting in a queue for his chance?  The reason I say it is premature is it is too early to give up on Pineda.  Bert was throwing shutouts in the Bigs at 19.  You might not like the comparison to a HOFer but he wouldn't have been HOF if they made him wait til 21 to get his chance.  Does he really burn a whole year of control if he comes up for a spot start?   

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#33 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,598 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:53 AM

Not that it really matters, but after this 6-0 game they actually have a +50 run differential (not +44).And after the full night's action that is actually 3rd in the AL, and tied for 3rd across MLB (Cubs and Dodgers both also have +50).  

12 above .500 and +50 RD (for comparison's sake, 2017 twins ended with just a +27 RD).Heckuva season!

87 Twins ended with a -20 RD. That's 70 runs better.  I think that makes this team 3.5 times better than that team already.

#34 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 591 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:59 AM

I will call it a little premature rather than ridiculous.  How many years does a guy have that throws high 90's?  I agree his stuff should play well anywhere, his walk rate is good and if he does well I would have no problem with him taking the 5th spot.  Is he really learning stuff or is he just waiting in a queue for his chance?  The reason I say it is premature is it is too early to give up on Pineda.  Bert was throwing shutouts in the Bigs at 19.  You might not like the comparison to a HOFer but he wouldn't have been HOF if they made him wait til 21 to get his chance.  Does he really burn a whole year of control if he comes up for a spot start?   

It's not a year of control, it's an option year. reduces the number of times you can send the guy back down to work in the minors if he struggles in the majors.

It's hard to think that Graterol isn't learning things in AA. For one thing, you have significantly more advanced hitters and increasing numbers of hitters who have real chances of playing in MLB. more sophisticated approaches at the plate, as well as working with other pitchers who have more refined repertoires. Look, I don't want to hold him back if he's ready and its fine to bring a guy up from AA straight to the majors, but I don't see too many scenarios where Graterol comes up to MLB as anything other than a reliever later in the year.

In other news, Garver looks so confident at the plate right now. Sure doesn't seem to have any aftereffects from the concussion which is terrific news. He's got a plan up there, no question.

Hope Marwin really is ok. That looked really scary last night (and the slomo was awful). Fortunately, with Astudillo coming back we have some depth if he needs some time off.

• chpettit19 likes this

#35 gbg

gbg

• 82 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:25 AM

Like others on this comment section I wonder why the love affair for Stewart.Is he the best in the minors right now?I know it is a push but I would rather see Graterol begin to experience the bigs - his stuff should play well anywhere. 

Remember, Graterol was pulled from his last start due to tightness in his neck. Would make no sense to do that and then have his next start be his MLB debut.

And Poppen's 14 walks in 19 innings at AA have me less than convinced that he's ready.

We've got a strong top four in the rotation, but there's little depth that's immediately available.

• Dantes929, stringer bell, chpettit19 and 1 other like this

#36 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,128 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:30 AM

For the role of a spot start, I think Stewart and Littell would be the two most obvious choices.I would venture that both are considered limited upside guys at this point, but guys that can be adequate. 

• JLease likes this

#37 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,273 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:31 AM

That was also a different era. That's worth noting.

But baring injury, there's no reason that he cannot maintain that velocity through his career. It will tick down slowly as he ages, but it's not like he'll be throwing low 90s come his 28th birthday either. And I think we all know that there's more to pitching than velo. Graterol will probably get a long look for one of the spots in the rotation next season, but I tend to agree with the other point, that putting him on the 40 and burning an option is poor management. We have people now that we need to look at now. Stewart is one of them.

Now that said, I do think he's a good candidate for a40 man add and September callup to the pen. I know there's some screwy rules with playoffs assuming we get there, but he could do something similar to what Jose Mijares did back in the early 2000s.

• chpettit19 likes this

#38 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,128 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:49 AM

Are the limitations to callups effective this year? The Twins may be only able to add a couple players in September.

#39 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,598 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:38 AM

That was also a different era. That's worth noting.

But baring injury, there's no reason that he cannot maintain that velocity through his career. It will tick down slowly as he ages, but it's not like he'll be throwing low 90s come his 28th birthday either. And I think we all know that there's more to pitching than velo. Graterol will probably get a long look for one of the spots in the rotation next season, but I tend to agree with the other point, that putting him on the 40 and burning an option is poor management. We have people now that we need to look at now. Stewart is one of them.

Now that said, I do think he's a good candidate for a40 man add and September callup to the pen. I know there's some screwy rules with playoffs assuming we get there, but he could do something similar to what Jose Mijares did back in the early 2000s.

I don't like burning options casually but there are players you look at and think "I don't think he is going to get sent down a bunch of times" and Graterol is one of them to me.I could be way off base here but I am thinking he might need exposure to the big leagues, get sent down to work on whatever and then will stick.You say barring injury there's no reason that he cannot maintain that velocity and I agree but the injury part is 100% why I said what I said. How many guys can throw 98mph year after year without getting arm injuries? His command seems very good and his stuff looks nasty (limited video) and is considered plus.If he truly has stuff he needs to work on to be major league ready then so be it but if they are just going through the conveyor belt of promotions cuz that is what they always do then to me it just seems like they are wasting bullets. Again, pitching at a high level for a couple years before getting the chance in the majors and then blowing out his arm soon after is my concern.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jake odorizzi, jorge polanco, max kepler, mitch garver