Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Tracking Reinforcements for the Twins

minnesota twins marcus stroman madison bumgarner craig kimbrel ken giles
  • Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 blindeke

blindeke

• 501 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:38 AM

Is anyone else worried that the addition of Sano to the lineup may upset the existing, major league leading chemistry? I am. I really like Gonzales at 3B, even though he is hitting a buck eighty. I'm not privy to what goes on in the clubhouse, but my guess is that Sano can possibly be a distraction.

No.

• dbminn likes this

#22 twins1095

twins1095

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 234 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:07 AM

Is anyone else worried that the addition of Sano to the lineup may upset the existing, major league leading chemistry? I am. I really like Gonzales at 3B, even though he is hitting a buck eighty. I'm not privy to what goes on in the clubhouse, but my guess is that Sano can possibly be a distraction.

Based on what evidence, other than a "feeling", do you base this conjecture on?

• Steve Lein and FlauerPauer like this

#23 Ebby Calvin Laloosh

Ebby Calvin Laloosh

Elizabethton Twins

• 49 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:58 AM

Sorry to pile on about the Sano chemistry question, but how is it we're asking about Sano fouling up the chemistry in a lineup that's crushing it and at the same time clamoring for Kimbrel to join the BP. If any personality is gonna blow up team chemistry, my money would be on Kimbrel, not Sano.

• TNTwinsFan, woolywoolhouse, KidBro and 6 others like this

#24 Splash45

Splash45

Elizabethton Twins

• 23 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:00 AM

Does anyone think it’s possible that we bring Gratoral up around mid/late season and put him in the bullpen? I feel like that would be a good way to get him acclimated to the big leagues and help strengthen the bullpen at the same time. Then you can move him back to starting next year and let him compete for a spot in the rotation.
  • segagenesisgenius likes this

#25 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,169 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:21 AM

Based on what evidence, other than a "feeling", do you base this conjecture on?

I am a natural worrier. Maybe I'm bothered by the old adage: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I guess based on the 5 adamant comments implying I should not be worried about this issue, and based on thelack of any comments agreeing that TD readers should be worried about this issue, then we can infer that no one else is worried about the possibility of Sano's insertion into the league leading Twins' lineup having a negative effect. Looks like the vote is 5 to 1 that there is nothing to be concerned about. So I guess that decides this issue. Onward and upward.

Edited by tarheeltwinsfan, 10 May 2019 - 08:27 AM.

• FlauerPauer and segagenesisgenius like this

#26 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 1,864 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:23 AM

I don't see them rushing to make changes. Cleveland's loss of Kluber and their lack of depth offensively positions the Twins to take a little time to determine exactly what they need to enhance the team's ability to win playoff series. That's most likely a late inning reliever and the supply will grow as the deadline nears. 

It also makes sense to look at assess Perez over another 8-10 starts. Has he really become a dominant starting SP or does he have weaknesses the rest of the league will exploit. Has Gibson become or is he becoming the guy you want on the mound in the playoff's.

The required additions to aid a playoff run will be more evident in 10 weeks regardless of the answer to these questions. There will also be greater supply of available talent in 8-10 weeks. Therefore, they are not going to make decisions now unless they somehow find a great value.For example, a deal with Kimbrel they like would/could trigger a move now..

Edited by Major League Ready, 10 May 2019 - 08:25 AM.

• birdwatcher and Original Whizzinator like this

#27 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:27 AM

Sano is not at all a bad clubhouse guy. He's always had a fun loving, sometimes silly, have a good time personality. I think he'll fit back in perfectly in this clubhouse. You want more proof, just read Bill Vilona's recent feature on him while with Pensacola:

"Blue Wahoos players said Sano's engaging personality resonates throughout the clubhouse.

"He is always fun to have around," said right fielder Jaylin Davis. "I was with him in Fort Myers (last year) for a little bit and he is definitely fun to be around. He brightens up the clubhouse.

"I think he's in a good place right now." "

You can say other things about him, but not this.

• ashbury, gagu and FlauerPauer like this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#28 Trov

Trov

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 176 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:29 AM

Does anyone think it’s possible that we bring Gratoral up around mid/late season and put him in the bullpen? I feel like that would be a good way to get him acclimated to the big leagues and help strengthen the bullpen at the same time. Then you can move him back to starting next year and let him compete for a spot in the rotation.

I see no way they do this.They are still trying to build up his innings.I think it would be unlikely they would want to use him in bullpen down the stretch.I think it would take some injuries to other options to go down that path.  

#29 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 569 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:30 AM

I'd trade Kirk Cousins for Stromen, straight up. Do it quick, before anybody notices.

I doubt Toronto would bite. Cousins isn't very good in high leverage situations

• ashbury, USAFChief, birdwatcher and 2 others like this

#30 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers Miracle

• 453 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:41 AM

Guys who rehab quietly and then enter the club with the idea they're going to knock 30 bombs a year don't exactly break up a "good" clubhouse chemistry.

We need to kill the idea that Sano is a bad clubhouse presence.

Any player who slumps and sulks could make a bad clubhouse worse.But everything about this clubhouse seems so positive that Sano should be able to relax and play.

#31 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,049 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:30 AM

I doubt Toronto would bite. Cousins isn't very good in high leverage situations

Fortunately, Toronto won't have any high leverage situations this year.

• ashbury and TFRazor like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#32 segagenesisgenius

segagenesisgenius

Elizabethton Twins

• 20 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:34 AM

Any player who slumps and sulks could make a bad clubhouse worse.But everything about this clubhouse seems so positive that Sano should be able to relax and play.

This is confusing to me.Are you saying that any player that has a slump is a bad clubhouse influence?So therefore, someone like Rosario, a notoriously streaky player that is prone to slumping, is a bad clubhouse guy?I don't quite buy that.

Otherwise, I might buy the idea of a sulking player being bad for a clubhouse, but where have you heard reports that Sano sulks?So far I have heard nothing but positive reports from how Sano has behaved on his second(!) trip to single A in the last 10 months, something which a lot of former all-stars would sulk like crazy over...

#33 segagenesisgenius

segagenesisgenius

Elizabethton Twins

• 20 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:41 AM

I see no way they [turn Graterol into a twins reliever].They are still trying to build up his innings.I think it would be unlikely they would want to use him in bullpen down the stretch.I think it would take some injuries to other options to go down that path.  

I mean, I agree that they are not going to turn Graterol into a reliever in, say, July, but the minor league schedule ends in September.I could see them bringing up Graterol after his regular seasons ends to give him a cup of coffee and 5 or 7 innings of relief work to see if he could help with a twins playoff run and/or set him up to come up for good in 2020.This is especially true with the modern adage of flamethrowers always throwing their fastest when they are young (and therein steadily throwing slower and slower as they age), so it makes sense to push the limits to see how fast you can get them up to try to have them throwing their hardest in the majors rather than in AA.

#34 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,243 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:44 AM

Any player who slumps and sulks could make a bad clubhouse worse. 

This is confusing to me.Are you saying that any player that has a slump is a bad clubhouse influence?So therefore, someone like Rosario, a notoriously streaky player that is prone to slumping, is a bad clubhouse guy?I don't quite buy that..

I think if luke had included the word "then," as in "slumps and then sulks," the intent would have been clearer. At least, that is how I took it on first reading.

• segagenesisgenius likes this

Always put the important things ahead of mere dire emergencies.

#35 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,237 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:45 AM

Less than zero. Seriously
  • tarheeltwinsfan likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#36 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,237 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:46 AM

I am a natural worrier. Maybe I'm bothered by the old adage: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I guess based on the 5 adamant comments implying I should not be worried about this issue, and based on the lack of any comments agreeing that TD readers should be worried about this issue, then we can infer that no one else is worried about the possibility of Sano's insertion into the league leading Twins' lineup having a negative effect. Looks like the vote is 5 to 1 that there is nothing to be concerned about. So I guess that decides this issue. Onward and upward.

That adage is what puts businesses out of business.
  • Vanimal46 and FlauerPauer like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#37 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 1,864 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:11 AM

I have always interpreted the issues with Sano's to be things that would derail his own development. I never thought he had a negative impact on anyone but himself. Personally, I pray he comes back and delivers on that enormous potential. This line-up would be ridiculous if he can deliver on that enormous potential.

Edited by Major League Ready, 10 May 2019 - 10:14 AM.

• Mike Sixel, DocBauer, gagu and 2 others like this

#38 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• 372 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:12 AM

I just don't understand the trade Sano for Mad Bum talk or the notion that he will disrupt the clubhouse chemistry. 3B has the worst offensive production on the team and all the preseason talk was how Nelson Cruz would be a great mentor for Sano.If we didn't have Sano in the system, half of this post would have been looking at possible upgrades at 3B. 

I am in the camp that Sano will be a welcome addition to the club .What is most important is that he will not be expected to carry the team on his shoulders.He can be a complementary piece to the true offensive leaders on the team - Cruz, Polanco and Rosario. 

I for one can't wait to see Miguel back in a Twins uniform.

• Steve Lein, Mike Sixel, gagu and 4 others like this

#39 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,607 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:15 AM

Sano's presence isn't going to derail this fast moving locomotive. He could help this offense immensely. If not, the train will keep chugging along without him.
  • LA VIkes Fan, dbminn, gagu and 3 others like this

#40 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,620 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:16 AM

There is never a time when you stop looking for an upgrade. Just because things are rolling now doesn’t mean they will be next week (picture getting swept by the Tigers at home, with the Indians climbing to 1/2 game back by Monday).

Go get established players at positions of need right now, if you can for a fair price. Get bullpen help right now instead of hoping guys get healthy and/or improve. Go get another starter to add to the mix instead of hoping that Perez and Odorizzi as Johan Santana and Roger Clemens is here to stay.

Nothing major has to be done. I’m on board with leaving the offense alone. But; there is no harm that can be done by adding some quality depth, pitching-wise. We will get burned by this bullpen status quo at some point. Maybe I’ve lived in Minnesota as a sports fan for too long, but I am not taking the playoffs for granted at this point. Too much can go wrong.
  • markos and FlauerPauer like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, marcus stroman, madison bumgarner, craig kimbrel, ken giles