Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 9, TOR 1: Twins Steamroll Toronto

kyle gibson jorge polanco eddie rosario jonathan schoop c.j. cron
  • Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 JD Green

JD Green

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSW Minn.

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:58 AM

Watching the game last nite, it hit me that the Jays are looking like the Twins team we suffered through watching last year. Had expectations that never really got off the ground. What a difference it is to watch a team that is winning and having fun. Whod - a - thunkit!

Keep it rolling Guys!

• birdwatcher likes this

#42 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,716 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:29 AM

It looks like the Jays are going to be one of the 100 loss teams when this year is in the books. No hitting, no pitching. They are hitting rock bottom with a loud thud.

...and they are still drawing more fans at home than the Twins.

Not after you factor in the exchange rate.

• birdwatcher, Cap'n Piranha, h2oface and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#43 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:41 AM

Good Gawd. Gimme a choice between a Matt Belisle relief appearance, a triple root canal and a Cheap Trick concert and I'm catching an Uber to the dentist. Cheap Trick comes in third.

• USAFChief and h2oface like this

#44 USAFChief

USAFChief

• Twins Mods
  • 24,716 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:49 AM

Good Gawd. Gimme a choice between a Matt Belisle relief appearance, a triple root canal and a Cheap Trick concert and I'm catching an Uber to the dentist. Cheap Trick comes in third.

Ain't that a shame.

• birdwatcher, h2oface and Nine of twelve like this

#45 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:58 AM

Ain't that a shame.

I will concede that Cheap Trick was good but not great at the same time Roger Erickson was good but not great. In 1977. 42 years ago.

• WLFINN and Nine of twelve like this

#46 USAFChief

USAFChief

• Twins Mods
  • 24,716 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 09 May 2019 - 12:01 PM

I will concede that Cheap Trick was good but not great at the same time Roger Erickson was good but not great. In 1977. 42 years ago.

OK, but what if we stipulate the triple root canal is without novocaine?

That'd make you think long and hard about your choice, I wager.

• birdwatcher and MN_ExPat like this

#47 Tomj14

Tomj14

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 12:02 PM

I love your starter rant - I am in complete agreement.This year the articles have been about how the bullpens have a poorer performance across MLB.Of course - whether BP or SP you can only throw so many times and it is frequency of use, not length of use that I see as an issue.Bring back Jack Morris rant any time - I will enjoy them.

I agree on the starter rant. Somebody said if the game was closer or we had used more relief pitchers recently Gibson would have went out for the 7th. To me we are asking our starters to give us between 80 - 90 pitches. So my logic says when they send them out there after that they are not going to be as good because they haven't been given the chance.

Plus at the end of the year when the decision to sign Gibson comes up, the could look at innings pitched and say we can't give that much money to a pitcher that averages X innings or pitched Y innings, or ERA is Z when he might not have been given a chance to increase/decrease those numbers.

#48 Yawn Gardenhose

Yawn Gardenhose

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 12:31 PM

Plus at the end of the year when the decision to sign Gibson comes up, the could look at innings pitched and say we can't give that much money to a pitcher that averages X innings or pitched Y innings, or ERA is Z when he might not have been given a chance to increase/decrease those numbers.

I absolutely think that money is a big reason for lessening starter workload. The "opener" is a way to game the arbitration system - it should be no surprise that the Rays introduced the opener, that the A's used one in the playoffs, and that the Twins were one of the teams that used the opener most prominently last September; they're all teams that have historically pinched pennies. I read an article about the Rays' pitcher (Yarbrough I think) who vultured a bunch of wins due to the fortune of being the ostensible "long man" after the opener, and he had an arbitration battle over the winter because his stat line was all goofy - a lot of wins, but very few starts and not enough innings to qualify as a starter. 

It's frustrating how seriously it's being taken as a strategy. It's less of an analytics innovation than it is a way to keep your payroll down. The more 5 innings (two trips through the lineup) becomes the norm for starters, the more likely that a full season for a starter will approach closer to 150 innings (under the qualifying threshold), thus muddying the arbitration game and ultimately keeping salaries down. And we wonder why Kuechel is still sitting at home? Why pay $18M for one year when you can just have three bullpen pitchers combine for his workload for a tenth of that contract? And as a bonus, by doing so you can be viewed as "smart" and "innovative" by the spreadsheet crowd? Cal Griffith was just born too early.

• WLFINN and Tomj14 like this

#49 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 12:34 PM

OK, but what if we stipulate the triple root canal is without novocaine?

That'd make you think long and hard about your choice, I wager.

Belisle it is.

• USAFChief and MN_ExPat like this

#50 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,790 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 09 May 2019 - 01:01 PM

Belisle it is.

Surrender!

• USAFChief, birdwatcher and MN_ExPat like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#51 USAFChief

USAFChief

• Twins Mods
  • 24,716 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 09 May 2019 - 01:57 PM

Belisle it is.

Post Of The Year.

#52 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 03:38 PM

Ain't that a shame.

I believe that was Fats Domino, not Cheap Trick.
  • USAFChief likes this

#53 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 6,448 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:13 AM

Meeting rooms during staff meetings work just fine for me.

Wait, those are meetings and not nap time? 

Wow, did I have that one wrong.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kyle gibson, jorge polanco, eddie rosario, jonathan schoop, c.j. cron