Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 9, TOR 1: Twins Steamroll Toronto

kyle gibson jorge polanco eddie rosario jonathan schoop c.j. cron
  • Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,555 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 06:31 AM

I've heard rumors of a "nap room". i want one at my job

We have them at my work. They’re called ‘Quiet Rooms’ and there are several of them.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#22 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 06:45 AM

That won't happen. It's still early May.

Give it time, they'll come around. It takes time to regain fan confidence, especially in a world where it takes $160 to buy decent tickets for a family of four and you haven't even gotten to the concession stand yet.

Or parked.

#23 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 23,495 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 09 May 2019 - 06:49 AM

Did anyone catch that moonshot Buxton hit that went just foul? 5th deck.

Nope. It landed in some empty seats.

• Brock Beauchamp, Cap'n Piranha, Puckett34 and 16 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#24 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,811 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:08 AM

You have them on your fantasy team?

(Raises Hand)
  • USAFChief, Blake and MN_ExPat like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#25 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,811 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:12 AM

We have them at my work. They’re called ‘Quiet Rooms’ and there are several of them.

Meeting rooms during staff meetings work just fine for me.
  • USAFChief, birdwatcher, Blake and 5 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#26 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:15 AM

I want to say Toronto is a 'bad team' but they did just take 3 of 4 from us.  

#27 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:30 AM

I want to say Toronto is a 'bad team' but they did just take 3 of 4 from us.  

The chaff (Mejia) has been separated since then.

#28 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:08 AM

Awesome series. Let's sweep the Tigers

• Nine of twelve likes this

#29 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:20 AM

Wait, why am I even discussing this!?!?!?

The Twins just got a sweep at Toronto in which they outscored the Blue Jays 20-1. The Twins are 23-12. The Twins have the best record in baseball!!!

If managerial decisions at the tail end of a blowout victory are the nitpicking points, then we're in a beautiful situation my friend. Might as well let King Midas push whatever buttons he wants from the dugout.

This is the most baseball fun I have had during April and May. When the Twins were last really winning, I didn't have TD. Then when I found TD the Twins were constantly losing badly. Now I have the best of both worlds. The Twins are winning and here in North Carolina Ihave my TD "family" with whom I can discuss these fun times. Thanks Twins' players, staff and FO and thanks Twins Daily and all the writers and contributors. Life is good.

• USAFChief, birdwatcher, USNMCPO and 8 others like this

#30 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:22 AM

Hard to be upset over this team right now, they're playing great. A couple things bugged me in this game, though: 

Why take Polanco out of the game after his fifth hit? He had a good chance at that point to either get the second cycle or a sixth hit (his turn in the order did end up coming around in the ninth). Off day tomorrow, just...why? 

And why did we need four pitchers to get through an 8-run win? Gibson had 88 pitches through 6 and was coasting along. Now it's "we need to get the bullpen work," where early in the year it's "we need to rest guys who pitched 1/3 of an inning in back-to-back games." I hope the analytics nerds will someday put the proper weight back on the starters; all we hear now is of how bad pitchers are when they face the order the third time, yada yada...The more bullpens are relied on, the less starters are used (look at the playoffs). Seems to me the best way to rest your bullpen, and hence maximize the utility of your bullpen, is to have your starters pitch deep into games. When you're up 8 runs and your starter has thrown 88 pitches, I don't know, have Gibson go out another inning or two. It strikes me as the perfect situation to stretch out a starter.

I realize this makes me sound like a fuddy-dud/Jack Morris type, so let me have it, but it just bugs me. 

I love your starter rant - I am in complete agreement.This year the articles have been about how the bullpens have a poorer performance across MLB.Of course - whether BP or SP you can only throw so many times and it is frequency of use, not length of use that I see as an issue.Bring back Jack Morris rant any time - I will enjoy them.

• PDX Twin and Tomj14 like this

#31 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 10,178 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:36 AM

This game wasn’t as close as the score indicated :)

Four home runs, and at least four near-misses, including the first two batters of the game. Keep this up and Target Field will be rockin this summer!
  • Nine of twelve likes this

#32 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 23,495 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:37 AM

Keep this up and Target Field will be rockin this summer!

https://www.songkick...at-target-field

Indeed.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#33 blindeke

blindeke

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:40 AM

Did anyone catch that moonshot Buxton hit that went just foul? 5th deck.

Yes! Wow he has some sneaky pop in the bat. I am expecting a bunch of HRs later in the year.

#34 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:11 AM

Polanco now leading the league in AVG, Total Bases, Offensive WAR, and Situational WPA ... Be sure to stuff those ballot boxes, so we can get him in there for All-Star Election Day!It will be tough going against Mondesi, Bogaerts, Correa, and Lindor.

• nokomismod and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#35 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:18 AM

It looks like the Jays are going to be one of the 100 loss teams when this year is in the books. No hitting, no pitching. They are hitting rock bottom with a loud thud.

...and they are still drawing more fans at home than the Twins.

Edited by Doomtints, 09 May 2019 - 09:19 AM.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#36 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:18 AM

And why did we need four pitchers to get through an 8-run win? Gibson had 88 pitches through 6 and was coasting along. Now it's "we need to get the bullpen work," where early in the year it's "we need to rest guys who pitched 1/3 of an inning in back-to-back games." I hope the analytics nerds will someday put the proper weight back on the starters; all we hear now is of how bad pitchers are when they face the order the third time, yada yada...The more bullpens are relied on, the less starters are used (look at the playoffs). Seems to me the best way to rest your bullpen, and hence maximize the utility of your bullpen, is to have your starters pitch deep into games. When you're up 8 runs and your starter has thrown 88 pitches, I don't know, have Gibson go out another inning or two. It strikes me as the perfect situation to stretch out a starter.

I realize this makes me sound like a fuddy-dud/Jack Morris type, so let me have it, but it just bugs me. 

If we'd had a game where the bullpen had been used hard, Gibson would have gone out for the 7th I'm sure. But we're carrying 13 freakin' pitchers right now and 2 of the guys who went out there hadn't pitched in a while and the game was out of reach. It's very appropriate bullpen management...when you carry too many pitchers. I'm still an advocate for getting back down to 12 when Sano comes back.

The Polanco extension just looks better all the time, huh?

I'm feeling better about Gibson with every start. It looks like he's gotten his stamina back up after that awful e.Coli issue (that was a LOT of weight loss in a short time; I'm glad he's ok and worked his way back). He's a really important pitcher for us; last year he was almost as valuable as Berrios.

• birdwatcher, Dman and MN_ExPat like this

#37 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 809 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:33 AM

From a Jay's blog ("BlueBirdBanter") in discussing the Twin's 7 runs in the first three innings:

"Suffice to say that y=2^x-1 (where y is the other team’s runs and x is the innings) is not a winning formula, even if it it’s it doesn’t extend to the fourth inning."

I guess math isn't banned on their site! :)

• diehardtwinsfan, Danchat and MN_ExPat like this

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#38 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:38 AM

I'm cautiously optimistic that Odorizzi, Perez, and Gibson are all going to be good options going forward.That being said, they probably are not all going to spend the rest of the year pitching like all-stars.

For me, the bullpen issue is less about Gibson "only" throwing 88 pitches and 6 innings (keeping starters rested is a good idea too), but rather the use of 3 pitchers to do the final 3 innings in an 8 run game.I'd rather in situations like that Baldelli only use 1-2 pitchers, and keep more of the pen rested.It's very easy to have a guy who "needs work" throw a bullpen session before or after a game.For me, the rule of bullpens is always assume you'll need them in the future.After all, it only takes an early injury to a starter, and a bit of ineffectiveness for this bullpen to go from well-rested to in need of rest.

• Tomj14 likes this

#39 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:40 AM

I told myself Gibson would have his best game of the year so far. He's pitched well against the Jays in the past, but it was sure nice to see. Of course the hitters made it a lot easier.

I was happy to see Cron awake from his slump.

I'll be sorry to see Cave shuttled back Rochester, but he's not getting many ABs. (I won't comment on the other player, but will say that it will be great to have La Tortuga back again.)

#40 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 4,206 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:52 AM

Like bighat, I did see Byron Buxton's titanic foul ball to the 5th deck.

Is the gravity slightly weaker in Canada?

Was there an updraft from a nearby mountain? 

Consider that at some point, this man is going to straighten one of those out. Betcha that'll be on the highlight shows...

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kyle gibson, jorge polanco, eddie rosario, jonathan schoop, c.j. cron