Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 3, TOR 0: Berrios Hurls Gem, Twins Get Second Straight Shutout

jose berrios mitch garver
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 caninatl04

caninatl04

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 737 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:30 AM

"Over the past seven games, the Twins pitching staff as a whole has combined for a 1.98 ERA."

Thank you for that stat-- and that includes one (or two?) stinkers by Pineda.
  • Danchat and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#22 caninatl04

caninatl04

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 737 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:38 AM

So, my fellow closet GM's, what do we do with Berrios' contract?Do we buy out his arbitration years with the hope (and prayer) that the contract will cover his post (free agent) arbitration years?

And whom might be around as a starting rotation next year?

#23 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,738 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:40 AM

So, my fellow closet GM's, what do we do with Berrios' contract? Do we buy out his arbitration years with the hope (and prayer) that the contract will cover his post (free agent) arbitration years?

And whom might be around as a starting rotation next year?

It doesn't seem like Berrios is interested in an extension, based on reports during the offseason.

#24 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,273 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:48 AM

Go check out the playoff odds on fangraphs--the Twins are now favored to win the division.

• PseudoSABR and Minny505 like this

#25 jtkoupal

jtkoupal

• 379 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:48 AM

It's starting to look more and more like Browntown underestimated the Twins, like Morneau said.

Speaking of which, did anyone else notice that Justin was starting to criticize the Indians and Dick completely cut him off? I enjoyed that haha.

#26 spycake

spycake

• 16,556 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:51 AM

It doesn't seem like Berrios is interested in an extension, based on reports during the offseason.

Or the Twins weren't yet interested in paying him the market rate... (edit: which was perhaps fair, given he was still roughly a year behind Severino/Nola in service time)

Edited by spycake, 08 May 2019 - 09:53 AM.

• PseudoSABR, Hosken Bombo Disco and KFEY93 like this

#27 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 593 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:30 AM

I still feel like you're more likely to be sorry you didn't have an extra pitcher than you are an extra bat. The way this lineup is built, there aren't many guys you'd want to platoon or pinch hit for late in a game anyway. Plus with the defensive versatility some of these guys bring there should be no trouble giving guys rest when needed even with a short bench.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they go back down to 12 pitchers. It's just not the move I'd make.

I don't entirely disagree, but it's a lot easier to truly give a guy a day off for a nagging injury or a mini-slump when you have a 4 man bench. With the starters going 6+ you've got 2 guys in the 'pen who aren't being used with any regularity. I get they're playing a lot of games right now and have a double-header coming up, but I still think that using a roster spot on an insurance guy who pitches no more than once a week is a bit of a waste. It's probably pretty marginal, but I'm also not a big fan of some of the deep end of the bullpen guys we're using here too.

I'd also like to note that this game rolled through in 2:30. (all three of the Twins wins against Houston clocked in around that time too.) it's lovely to have some fast moving games.

• SF Twins Fan likes this

#28 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,184 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:55 AM

I'd also like to note that this game rolled through in 2:30. (all three of the Twins wins against Houston clocked in around that time too.) it's lovely to have some fast moving games.

It is especially nice to have fast moving games when the good guys win.

#29 JD Green

JD Green

Elizabethton Twins

• 24 posts
  • LocationSW Minn.

Posted 08 May 2019 - 12:40 PM

Don't get me wrong, I like Morneau in the booth, but its hard to take all the enthusiasm that radiates from his facial expressions and his voice.

#30 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 582 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 12:55 PM

Don't get me wrong, I like Morneau in the booth, but its hard to take all the enthusiasm that radiates from his facial expressions and his voice.

Well... He is Canadian...

#31 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 582 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 12:56 PM

You must be very young. :)

Back when baseball was men against men instead of tactics against tactics, I wouldn't be surprised if some team went most of a season without a start shorter than 5 innings.

Touche. I suppose I was just considering the last 15 seasons or so. It does seem like quite a substantial number in modern baseball

Edited by TFRazor, 08 May 2019 - 12:56 PM.

#32 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,738 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:33 PM

Or the Twins weren't yet interested in paying him the market rate... (edit: which was perhaps fair, given he was still roughly a year behind Severino/Nola in service time)

Always possible. But, in light of the fact that they were able to get deals done with Polanco and Kepler, I'm operating under the assumption that they were negotiating in good faith.

#33 spycake

spycake

• 16,556 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:57 PM

Always possible. But, in light of the fact that they were able to get deals done with Polanco and Kepler, I'm operating under the assumption that they were negotiating in good faith.

I didn't say they weren't negotiating in good faith. But they may not have wanted to give Berrios the Severino/Nola money a year ahead of schedule. They could have been looking for a bigger discount than Berrios was willing to give at this point. But Berrios might still agree to a Severino/Nola type deal if it's offered next offseason.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, mitch garver