Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/6): Kirilloff Cranks, Wrong End of a No-No

alex kirilloff jose miranda brent rooker sean poppen josh winder
  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 03:24 PM

Good one.....but really, you have to consider dealing Rosario if you can't extend him, if you believe in Kiriloff......

Agree. Kirilloff being real, and Kepler taking even one more half-step in his development...would be a nice problem to have, as they say.

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#42 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,126 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:07 PM

Luke Raley is a much more likely 1st base option for this season than Kirilloff.Kirilloff will likely have to wait until after next years service time date.If he does make the AA to MLB jump he will need at least a couple more months at AA to get more 1B time.I think the FO will find it worth while to wait until next season rather than start the clock late this season.

If the goal is to win while Rosario, Buxton, Berrios, and Sano are here, sooner is better......much better. 

• jokin likes this

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#43 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,133 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:06 PM

Luke Raley is a much more likely 1st base option for this season than Kirilloff.Kirilloff will likely have to wait until after next years service time date.If he does make the AA to MLB jump he will need at least a couple more months at AA to get more 1B time.I think the FO will find it worth while to wait until next season rather than start the clock late this season.

I think if they think he can hit and help the team in August and September and October, they won't even hesitate to bring up Kirilloff... 

• Mike Sixel likes this

#44 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 10,054 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:23 PM

If the goal is to win while Rosario, Buxton, Berrios, and Sano are here, sooner is better......much better.

So, the Twins aren’t winning right now? Or, Kirilloff will help this offense? I don’t feel sooner is better here. In my opinion you are overthinking this one.

#45 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 10,054 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:25 PM

Agree—I don’t think they start Kirilloff’s clock this season. And why not see what the lesser regarded prospects in the high minors can do.

#46 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,126 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:17 PM

So, the Twins aren’t winning right now? Or, Kirilloff will help this offense? I don’t feel sooner is better here. In my opinion you are overthinking this one.

If you aren't constantly getting better, you fall behind. I'm with Seth, if he can help this year, he'll be up this year.
  • jokin likes this

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#47 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:33 PM

Kirilloff is a great prospect, no doubt. But it only makes sense to bring him up if he's ready to make an impact, not just hold his own. It's still very much an open question whether he will be at that point in a couple of months.

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#48 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,653 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:14 PM

You didn't mention that Sr. Sano was 0-5 with 2 Ks. Average is now at .091.

And tonight Sano was 3/4 with 2 2Bs, a Sac Fly and 0 Ks, raising his average to .267 and OPS to .878 in AA. Amazing what a small amount of additional data can do to small sample performance figures.

I'm sure all the Twins care about is Sano demonstrating consistent quality ABs, and not so much about stats in A+, AA or AAA.

FYI, Falvey praised Sano for his professional approach thus far during his rehab, says he's actively helping his teammates and progressing rapidly. I would bet that a trip to AAA is soon forthcoming.

He should be back in 2 weeks- or maybe less.

Edited by jokin, 07 May 2019 - 10:23 PM.

• Mike Sixel, gunnarthor and h2oface like this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#49 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 4,006 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:09 AM

Sano's total rehab stint line is now 8/20 with 2 homers, 2 doubles, 2 walks, 8 RBI, 6Ks, hitting .400/.440/.800 with an OPS of 1.240!

Hey.... let's not get excited though, I know I won't ;)  ...... it's only the minor leagues. Pesky small samples. In 3 days, it could look.........

Edited by h2oface, 08 May 2019 - 03:24 AM.

• EPEZRider likes this

#50 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 4,006 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:16 AM

First base production this year.... .202/.268/.403 with an OPS of .671

AT FIRST BASE!

I hope the goal is always to get better, and that starts with tryng to perhaps identify where the help can be directed.

All Kirilloff does is hit, and he is 21 already.... and getting old.

http://www.espn.com/...type/2/split/79

Edited by h2oface, 08 May 2019 - 03:21 AM.

#51 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:38 AM

The player at AAA that’s advancing is Luke Raley (OF/1B) with a .275 average including 5 home runs. He’s been on a tear lately.

The talent pipeline is starting to blossom at AA and AAA levels. While I like the potential Rocker provides, don’t sleep on Raley.

Another return from the Dodgers for Dozier trade is Devin Smeltzer. He just advanced to AAA after carrying a .060 ERA at AA Pensacola

Good thing we were able to trade Dozier when we did and get a couple of decent prospects. With his poor play so far this year, I doubt he'd fetch much of anything at all at this point.

• Twins33 likes this

#52 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,293 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:27 AM

Service Time isn't a factor at this point.

Another thing to remember is the whole Option situation too. If they call him up and send him down, that's an option year. He doesn't "need to" be added to the 40-man roster until after the 2020 season (though he'll almost certainly be up before then. Also, I would always contend that service time is less important during a Winning cycle. 

Option years generally aren't a factor with elite prospects. You're not going to use all of them anyway unless their performance/value plummets.

That said, option years are even less of an issue for Kirilloff, because according to Jeremy, Kirilloff would get 4 option years if called up in 2019, as opposed to the standard 3 option years if called up in 2020 or later:

http://twinsdaily.co...th-option-r7741

So, you ready for the humdinger? Let’s talk briefly about Alex Kirilloff. What if he comes back, rakes like we expect him to and, due to an injury, the Twins need another outfielder? Should he be considered? The correct answer is absolutely. For one, he’s such a good hitter, he shouldn’t need three option years to begin with. But, more importantly, even if he did, he’d qualify for the fourth option. Last year was his first full professional season due to a missing a year with an elbow injury. If he’s added a year from now, he wouldn’t be afforded that luxury. So, really, it wouldn’t make sense to not add him if you think he’s ready. (Service time manipulators notwithstanding.)

• Seth Stohs likes this

#53 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,293 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:38 AM

The player at AAA that’s advancing is Luke Raley (OF/1B) with a .275 average including 5 home runs. He’s been on a tear lately.

Keep in mind the International League is going through an offensive explosion right now. Raley's raw OPS of .866 there is his highest at any minor league level above rookie league so far -- but by wRC+ (his hitting relative to league), he's actually worse in 2019 (118) than he was at any level in 2017 or 2018 (129, 123, 133).

A 118 wRC+ isn't bad, but from a 24 year old corner player in AAA, with a higher BABIP and mediocre K and BB rates, it's pretty marginal.

#54 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,293 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:40 AM

Luke Raley is a much more likely 1st base option for this season than Kirilloff.

Perhaps, but I hope not, if Kirilloff is healthy and raking. Raley looks like a variation of Daniel Palka -- not necessarily a bad player, useful under some circumstances, but not a player you should promote ahead of an elite prospect when wins actually matter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alex kirilloff, jose miranda, brent rooker, sean poppen, josh winder