Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/6): Kirilloff Cranks, Wrong End of a No-No

alex kirilloff jose miranda brent rooker sean poppen josh winder
  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:19 AM

While true, that only includes his 3 games at AA.Include his 2 games at high A, and his 2019 average is .313.Obviously, competition at AA is better than high A, but generally we shouldn't read too much into Sano's stat line after 3 games.Heck, if he goes 2 for 3 for the next two games (e.g., he does fine, but not outstanding), his batting average will be up to .294.He is neither out of the woods nor up the river without a paddle.Too early to tell. 

I hope you are right Sega, but 6 whiffs in 16 plate appearances against inferior arms is very disconcerting.

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#22 cmoss84

cmoss84

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:51 AM

Does Kiriloff's service time come into play for this year, and if so, what is the date we can bring him up? 

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#23 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,956 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:26 AM

Does Kiriloff's service time come into play for this year, and if so, what is the date we can bring him up?

It's already late enough to gain a 7th year of team control.
Waiting until a week into June would avoid Super 2 status.
  • cmoss84 likes this

#24 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,956 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:28 AM

Kirilloff goes 0 for 3 in his first game off the IL, then 7 for 15 in his last four games. One game to shake off the rust and he is back to mid-season form. Is this kid too good to be real?

Don't understand all of you calling for him to be at first base for the Twins this summer. Cron has played excellent defense and is on track for another 25-30 home run season. His average isn't all that high, but he has done a good job. The spot I see for Kirilloff, hopefully by late summer, is as a rotational first baseman and fourth outfielder. Giving four players rest should get Kirilloff nearly a full-time job.

You missed mentioning Rortvedt in the write-up, Cody. He had another multi-hit night with a double. Also like what I have been seeing from Josh Winder this spring. May be someone to keep an eye on.

CJ Cron's batting line would be bad for a utility infielder. For a starting first baseman, it's terrible.

#25 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:30 AM

I’ve never been more convinced that a player could stroll into a major league clubhouse and yield positive results than with Kiriloff. The more time passes, the more I believe he could’ve done that from day 1. He’s a natural.

I don’t really buy that you can’t find a spot for him. Between days off in the outfield, first base, and DH, there would be plenty of at-bats to be had in place of Cave/Adrianza and in some cases Gonzalez/Garver/Astudillo. I’m fine with that upgrade across the Board (unless you believe Garver and Astudillo with continue being the bash brothers).

He could be a real game changer down the stretch, and really set this lineup over the top. Kepler, Polanco, Cruz, Rosario, Sano, Schoop, Buxton, Kiriloff, Garver (not necessarily in that order) is scary. He also adds another solid lefty to balance things out.

I’m fine keeping him down for a couple more months to maximize ABs. But, if he keeps this up, get him up in July/August and get him accustomed to big league pitching before September.

#26 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,956 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:39 AM

I’ve never been more convinced that a player could stroll into a major league clubhouse and yield positive results than with Kiriloff. The more time passes, the more I believe he could’ve done that from day 1. He’s a natural.

I don’t really buy that you can’t find a spot for him. Between days off in the outfield, first base, and DH, there would be plenty of at-bats to be had in place of Cave/Adrianza and in some cases Gonzalez/Garver/Astudillo. I’m fine with that upgrade across the Board (unless you believe Garver and Astudillo with continue being the bash brothers).

He could be a real game changer down the stretch, and really set this lineup over the top. Kepler, Polanco, Cruz, Rosario, Sano, Schoop, Buxton, Kiriloff, Garver (not necessarily in that order) is scary. He also adds another solid lefty to balance things out.

I’m fine keeping him down for a couple more months to maximize ABs. But, if he keeps this up, get him up in July/August and get him accustomed to big league pitching before September.

No need to get so creative. We have a starting first baseman just barely scraping replacement level.

#27 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 10,054 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:51 AM

Just last summer, the front office scoffed at the idea of even promoting Kirilloff up to AA.

So, I'm not sure what makes people think Kirilloff should be promoted to MLB soon. Give the kid as much time as he needs.

...got link http://twinsdaily.co...ock-it-up-r7182
comment #5/6

Edited by Hosken Bombo Disco, 07 May 2019 - 12:18 PM.

#28 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,127 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:52 AM

I don't agree with bringing Kiriloff up as a rotational player. He needs regular at bats at a regular position. Keep it simple, wait until September call ups unless there is an injury or somebody is struggling for him to replace.

Why does he need regular at bats, if he can help the team this year?
  • railmarshalljon likes this

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#29 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• Members
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:58 AM

So is Guerrero Jr. and the expectation for him is instant success. Of course, he is just getting started but his wRC+ so far is 22.

#30 cmoss84

cmoss84

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:02 PM

It's already late enough to gain a 7th year of team control.
Waiting until a week into June would avoid Super 2 status.

If he is hitting .330+ by the time early June rolls around, you have to bring him up. Even if he plays 2 out of every 3 games, either at 1B or OF, he makes a nice impact. 

This might be the perfect situation for it. He can help the Twins make a playoff push, while not being thrown into the fire all together. With so much depth, they can pick and choose when and where to play him and keep everyone fresh. 

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#31 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 10,054 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:15 PM

If he is hitting .330+ by the time early June rolls around, you have to bring him up. Even if he plays 2 out of every 3 games, either at 1B or OF, he makes a nice impact. 

This might be the perfect situation for it. He can help the Twins make a playoff push, while not being thrown into the fire all together. With so much depth, they can pick and choose when and where to play him and keep everyone fresh.

Not to throw water on your expectations but I don’t think the front office thinks he’s ready, even if he’s still hitting. See link above.

I do agree it would be a great situation to bring him in to, just don’t think he’d be ready.

#32 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,133 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:40 PM

The Prospect Summary has Gordon on the Injured List. Is that a typo or did he get hurt again?

Edited to "No Game Scheduled." He's in the lineup tonight. 

#33 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,133 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:42 PM

You didn't mention that Sr. Sano was 0-5 with 2 Ks. Average is now at .091.

Just in case anyone is worried about this... He's had 11 at bats in AA so far... 

• Mike Sixel, jokin and jkcarew like this

#34 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,133 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:47 PM

Service Time isn't a factor at this point.

Another thing to remember is the whole Option situation too. If they call him up and send him down, that's an option year. He doesn't "need to" be added to the 40-man roster until after the 2020 season (though he'll almost certainly be up before then. Also, I would always contend that service time is less important during a Winning cycle. 

• cmoss84 likes this

#35 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:49 PM

4 K's for Baddoo. Yikes

Why do they keep leading him off?It can't be great for Lewis to be batting behind an instant out. He needs a change, and a change of approach.

Not sure how it would impact Lewis. In fact, Baddoo is known to take a lot of pitches, which would be good for Lewis.

FWIW...Baddoo has been a better offensive player than Lewis so far this year. Both have under-performed, but Baddoo is hitting for extra bases, and has 4 home runs which is 4 more than Lewis, Larnach, and Miranda. Granted, OBP is exceeding low for a lead-off hitter...but I don't think the organization cares that much what that might do to the likelihood of winning A+ games.

#36 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,133 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:55 PM

Kirilloff is the kind of guy that organizations make room for.

ie - Twins trade All star catcher after 2003 to allow Mauer to take over. Kirilloff (and Buxton and Sano and the like) are guys that you make room for. Lewis will be the same thing. 

But... he's played 4 games above A ball, and he was playing in Cedar Rapids 11 months ago. Let's give him a little bit of time first. 

All that said, he is the best all-around, pure hitter I've seen since Jason Kubel. He is one of those guys who people say can wake up Christmas morning and go 3-4. 

• WLFINN likes this

#37 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,133 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:02 PM

Not sure how it would impact Lewis. In fact, Baddoo is known to take a lot of pitches, which would be good for Lewis.

FWIW...Baddoo has been a better offensive player than Lewis so far this year. Both have under-performed, but Baddoo is hitting for extra bases, and has 4 home runs which is 4 more than Lewis, Larnach, and Miranda. Granted, OBP is exceeding low for a lead-off hitter...but I don't think the organization cares that much what that might do to the likelihood of winning A+ games.

Yeah, that has zero affect on Lewis's at bats, or at least how he approaches them.

And Baddoo has always been a high on-base, high strikeout guy with power and speed potential. The lineup is based on big picture, not current stats. Baddoo is holding his own and should grow over the summer, like those other guys. 

• jokin and jkcarew like this

#38 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:51 PM

There isn't a spot for him in this outfield, this year and probably beyond.So his position with the Twins will be first base.

You sure? After the Twins got good in the late 80's, it seemed inconceivable that the outfield of Gladden, Puckett, and Brunansky would be broken up. But the FO was able to leverage Brunansky's value to obtain Tommy Her-- No. Wait.

Never mind.

• Mike Sixel, 70charger, Original Whizzinator and 1 other like this

#39 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,127 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:29 PM

You sure? After the Twins got good in the late 80's, it seemed inconceivable that the outfield of Gladden, Puckett, and Brunansky would be broken up. But the FO was able to leverage Brunansky's value to obtain Tommy Her-- No. Wait.

Never mind.

Good one.....but really, you have to consider dealing Rosario if you can't extend him, if you believe in Kiriloff......

• jokin likes this

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#40 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:33 PM

Luke Raley is a much more likely 1st base option for this season than Kirilloff.Kirilloff will likely have to wait until after next years service time date.If he does make the AA to MLB jump he will need at least a couple more months at AA to get more 1B time.I think the FO will find it worth while to wait until next season rather than start the clock late this season.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alex kirilloff, jose miranda, brent rooker, sean poppen, josh winder