Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: How Will Sano’s Return Impact the Roster?

miguel sano marwin gonzalez jake cave ehire adrianza fernando romero
  • Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#41 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,004 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:19 AM

So when La Tortugas returns someone leaves? Cave? Andrianza? Then Sano returns? Someone leaves? Cave? Andrainza? (Sp) I can see Cave leaving, but I can't see them letting their backup SS go, unless they truly believe Marwin can play SS for a day. I can't believe they go down to 12 pitchers. What I fear but don't want is that Astudillo ends up the odd man out. I think it will come down to the choice between two utility players, Marwin and The Turtle. If that's the case, this FO will not dump their off season signee.
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#42 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,039 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:24 AM

Who would be your #13- and would deserve to be on the bench in a mainly PH match-up or defensive role? At the rate the Twins SPs are performing, especially as they begin to play the bulk of their games in the weak "Classic Lake" division, that 13th pitcher should be unnecessary, or at least on the Roc shuttle (so far, most of the options called up are equally mediocre-to-bad, anyway).

Adrianza?

Gordon?

Cave?

Austin? (just kidding)

Valdespin? LHbat/ MI/.871 OPS in AAA

If it was me. I'm rotating the 12 position players and getting all of them consistent playing time.

I'm keeping the 13 pitchers because the back end of that bullpen has to be sorted out. Harper, Romero, Magill, Morin, Reed and Moya for 4 spots.

And... I'm not opposed to a little starting rotation conservation... not going 8 innings if they don't have to against the A.L. Central. 

Answering your question directly. I don't want anybody on the bench for an extended time so I'd take Gordon because they will have to play him. He's too young to watch others play. 

• jokin likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#43 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:16 AM

Nobody should be comfortable with Adrianza playing everyday if Polanco has an IL stint, so I'm not sure why that hypothetical is the barometer for keeping him.

If not Adrianza, who?

#44 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,653 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:32 AM

The Twins are averaging the second-most IP per start in the AL (heard on a Twins' broadcast). I don't see the need for all of Morin, Magill and Romero. For now, they can cut to 12 pitchers easy enough. Yes, they have to at some point add Reed and Meíja, but they should be able to do that and someone will suffer some sort of injury. They would have to add a 13th pitcher for the doubleheader next week. My guess is that Romero will be the "shuttle guy"going back and forth from Rochester. If they have to, they would DFA either Magill or Morin before they would lose Meíja or (from the position side Adrianza). If they are forced to go to 13 pitchers for a week or two, it is my guess that Astudillo is optioned. 

• jokin and JLease like this

#45 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,170 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:02 AM

If not Adrianza, who?

Isn't that why we signed Marwin? So he can be the solution to whatever injury/lack of production comes up over the season?
  • beckmt, jokin, tarheeltwinsfan and 2 others like this

#46 DiscGolfer

DiscGolfer

• Members
  • 919 posts
  • LocationTC

Wow, it's going to be a good problem to have trying to find ab's for all the hitters. I don't think I've ever seen a twins lineup this deep before.

Adrianza probably gets dfa'd at some point this season but I don't think it will be soon. Players with options will be sent down first.

#47 DiscGolfer

DiscGolfer

• Members
  • 919 posts
  • LocationTC

Wow, it's going to be a good problem to have trying to find ab's for all the hitters. I don't think I've ever seen a twins lineup this deep before.

Adrianza probably gets dfa'd at some point this season but I don't think it will be soon. Players with options will be sent down first.
  • jokin likes this

#48 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,696 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:09 AM

Who would be your #13- and would deserve to be on the bench in a mainly PH match-up or defensive role? At the rate the Twins SPs are performing, especially as they begin to play the bulk of their games in the weak "Classic Lake" division, that 13th pitcher should be unnecessary, or at least on the Roc shuttle (so far, most of the options called up are equally mediocre-to-bad, anyway).

Adrianza?

Gordon?

Cave?

Austin? (just kidding)

Valdespin? LHbat/ MI/.871 OPS in AAA

Classic Lake.....that was awesome!

• jokin likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

#49 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,737 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:36 AM

If it was me. I'm rotating the 12 position players and getting all of them consistent playing time.

I'm keeping the 13 pitchers because the back end of that bullpen has to be sorted out. Harper, Romero, Magill, Morin, Reed and Moya for 4 spots.

And... I'm not opposed to a little starting rotation conservation... not going 8 innings if they don't have to against the A.L. Central. 

The Twins are averaging the second-most IP per start in the AL (heard on a Twins' broadcast). I don't see the need for all of Morin, Magill and Romero. For now, they can cut to 12 pitchers easy enough. Yes, they have to at some point add Reed and Meíja, but they should be able to do that and someone will suffer some sort of injury. They would have to add a 13th pitcher for the doubleheader next week. My guess is that Romero will be the "shuttle guy"going back and forth from Rochester. If they have to, they would DFA either Magill or Morin before they would lose Meíja or (from the position side Adrianza). If they are forced to go to 13 pitchers for a week or two, it is my guess that Astudillo is optioned

RB, I'm in Stringer's camp on this one.*

I'm just not seeing any of the above arms being obviously reliable enough over any other arm once the playoff hunt and postseason are a reality- and no amount of continued "sorting out" is going to make a difference. And good call by Stringer on the "M&M boys." One of them is destined to take the long walk off the short plank within the next month or so. Morin has looked good, but too soon to tell if it's just a mirage. Maybe both gone?...possibly, if the Fal/Vine duo do what they have to do and get another pen-bolstering upgrade arm.

It's almost hard to believe that at, at the least, there's a legit opportunity for a Series berth right in front of the Twins. Obviously, as in '87 and '91, home field advantage in the playoffs might make all the difference in getting there. Get her done, get her done NOW.

* (All of his campsites, actually):)

Edited by jokin, 07 May 2019 - 09:38 AM.

• Riverbrian and Original Whizzinator like this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#50 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:37 AM

This may be a little early since Sano is now 1-11 in AAA and Levine was quoted as saying the team has "no sense of urgency" to bring him back until he proves he can hit in AAA. The more immediate issues are Astudillo being ready to come back soon andd Reed if he pitches well in his AAA rehab. 

I think the right way to start is to try to trade Cave. He proved last year that he belongs on a MLB roster and could start in the OF for at least 30-40% of MLB teams in CF. He's better than at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the starting CFs out there. If we can package him with prospects for a decent RP or a catching prospect even better. SF needs OFs in the worst way.Pillar is hitting .195, Gerber .067 and all 3 have OPS below .700, with Pillar below .600 and Gerber below. 400. The other 2 OFs on their 40 man stink in the minors - they go nothing. Cave starts there, plays every day and will probably hit .260-.280 with 15-20 HRs and a .775 -.825 OPS and he's only 26 so he's around for awhile if he works out. Good get for them. Trade Cave plus 1 or 2 of the good prospects we got last year at the deadline for Dyson, Smith or even Melancon. Any prospect is available except Lewis, Krilioff, Graterol, Thorpe, Alcala and Smeltzer. Send Romero to AAA with instructions to go back to being a starter -can the BP experiment, it didn't work and is waste of his talent. Gonzalez becomes the 4th OF with Kepler as the backup CF and Wade, Rooker and Weil as AAA depth.  

If not, the order is Cave to AAA with Gonzalez as the 4th OF when Astudillo comes back, and Romero to AAA when Reed comes back. Then Magill or Morin to AAA when Mejia is ready. I vote for Adrianza to the DFA list for Sano when he's ready rather than Astudillo. However, for all of the reasons stated above, I think it will be Astudillo to AAA instead, mostly because the FO sees Adrianza as the only true backup middle IF on the roster and it gives the team the most flexibility with options. 

We have one really fun problem - we have 14 guys who belong on a 12 man position player roster for a contending MLB team. Right now, we don't have to make a decision because of injuries to Astudillo and Sano. If everyone is healthy I think Cave is the 27th man and Astudillo the 26th, with Adrianza the 25th guy on the roster. 

• ChrisKnutson likes this

#51 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,737 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:40 AM

So when La Tortugas returns someone leaves? Cave? Andrianza? Then Sano returns? Someone leaves? Cave? Andrainza? (Sp) I can see Cave leaving, but I can't see them letting their backup SS go, unless they truly believe Marwin can play SS for a day. I can't believe they go down to 12 pitchers. What I fear but don't want is that Astudillo ends up the odd man out. I think it will come down to the choice between two utility players, Marwin and The Turtle. If that's the case, this FO will not dump their off season signee.

Astudillo's options make this decision a little easier.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#52 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,737 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:42 AM

This may be a little early since Sano is now 1-11 in AAA and Levine was quoted as saying the team has "no sense of urgency" to bring him back until he proves he can hit in AAA.

Unfortunately, it's really early, as Sano is still only in AA. The Twins have a little luxury of time here waiting for Sano to rub the dust off. Maybe another week or more in Pensacola, and maybe a week or two in AAA, now we're talking early June.

• h2oface likes this

#53 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:42 AM

I'd rather have the extra bat than a 13th pitcher. Happy to send Morin back down, he seems like the definition of "Just Another Guy", and looking at bullpen usage over the last 5 days we had 4 pitchers who only threw once in that time. Unless the rotation collapses (other than Pineda, we seem to be in pretty good shape there right now with Perez & odorizzi on hot streaks, berrios being berrios and Gibson starting to round into form). get back down to 12 pitchers. having an extra crappy guy at the very back end doesn't add value, but flexibility in pinch hitting might be the right counter to tough bullpens.

• jokin and Original Whizzinator like this

#54 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:07 AM

Unfortunately, it's really early, as Sano is still only in AA. The Twins have a little luxury of time here waiting for Sano to rub the dust off. Maybe another week or more in Pensacola, and maybe a week or two in AAA, now we're talking early June.

You're right, one to many As there. Sounds like we agree on the bottom line - Sano is at least a month from coming back to the Bigs. By then, lots of things may have happened not the least of which are injuries that open up a spot or two. 

• jokin likes this

#55 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:14 AM

I'll be curious to see what the Twins consider 'ready' for Sano. If a few weeks from now he's hitting 10/50 with 5 homers, 5 walks, and 25 strikeouts...is that promotion-worthy? Do they option him and tell him to work on the plate control?

Edited by Taildragger8791, 07 May 2019 - 10:15 AM.

#56 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,107 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:26 AM

You're right, one to many As there. Sounds like we agree on the bottom line - Sano is at least a month from coming back to the Bigs. By then, lots of things may have happened not the least of which are injuries that open up a spot or two. 

Sano's 20 day rehab period expires May 20th. I seriously doubt he's optioned at that point. He'll be back with the Twins the 20th in Anaheim, is my guess.

• Thrylos, h2oface, Platoon and 2 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#57 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:34 AM

Sano's 20 day rehab period expires May 20th. I seriously doubt he's optioned at that point. He'll be back with the Twins the 20th in Anaheim, is my guess.

This is my assumption as well. I just wonder if there's a threshold at which they do option him and make him earn the promotion, or does he get the veteran scholarship treatment despite how he ended last season?

#58 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:55 AM

I'm just excited to see Sano back in the lineup. If the team is still swinging the bats the way they are once he returns, I can see very good things happening for him offensively as long as he shows some patience. He's never had the lineup protection that he's going to have now.

• Thrylos and Don Walcott like this

#59 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:11 AM

Isn't that why we signed Marwin? So he can be the solution to whatever injury/lack of production comes up over the season?

Also, isn't that why we grabbed Ronald Torreyes?

He's having a terrible offensive year at AAA, but isn't his glove well regarded? If Polanco goes down and we want the defense, isn't Torreyes the guy (if Adrianza is gone)?

• Vanimal46, Original Whizzinator and railmarshalljon like this

#60 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 544 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:44 AM

This may be a little early since Sano is now 1-11 in AAA and Levine was quoted as saying the team has "no sense of urgency" to bring him back until he proves he can hit in AAA. The more immediate issues are Astudillo being ready to come back soon andd Reed if he pitches well in his AAA rehab. 

I think the right way to start is to try to trade Cave. He proved last year that he belongs on a MLB roster and could start in the OF for at least 30-40% of MLB teams in CF. He's better than at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the starting CFs out there. If we can package him with prospects for a decent RP or a catching prospect even better. SF needs OFs in the worst way.Pillar is hitting .195, Gerber .067 and all 3 have OPS below .700, with Pillar below .600 and Gerber below. 400. The other 2 OFs on their 40 man stink in the minors - they go nothing. Cave starts there, plays every day and will probably hit .260-.280 with 15-20 HRs and a .775 -.825 OPS and he's only 26 so he's around for awhile if he works out. Good get for them. Trade Cave plus 1 or 2 of the good prospects we got last year at the deadline for Dyson, Smith or even Melancon. Any prospect is available except Lewis, Krilioff, Graterol, Thorpe, Alcala and Smeltzer. Send Romero to AAA with instructions to go back to being a starter -can the BP experiment, it didn't work and is waste of his talent. Gonzalez becomes the 4th OF with Kepler as the backup CF and Wade, Rooker and Weil as AAA depth.  

If not, the order is Cave to AAA with Gonzalez as the 4th OF when Astudillo comes back, and Romero to AAA when Reed comes back. Then Magill or Morin to AAA when Mejia is ready. I vote for Adrianza to the DFA list for Sano when he's ready rather than Astudillo. However, for all of the reasons stated above, I think it will be Astudillo to AAA instead, mostly because the FO sees Adrianza as the only true backup middle IF on the roster and it gives the team the most flexibility with options. 

We have one really fun problem - we have 14 guys who belong on a 12 man position player roster for a contending MLB team. Right now, we don't have to make a decision because of injuries to Astudillo and Sano. If everyone is healthy I think Cave is the 27th man and Astudillo the 26th, with Adrianza the 25th guy on the roster.

I think the D-backs could be another possible destination for Cave as well (Souza’s season ending injury)(OF prospects long ways away). While I’d definitely prefer any of the Giants veteran bullpen arms, I don’t think a return of Jimmie Sherfy and Emilio Vargas would be all that bad.
  • LA VIkes Fan likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miguel sano, marwin gonzalez, jake cave, ehire adrianza, fernando romero