Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: How Will Sano’s Return Impact the Roster?

miguel sano marwin gonzalez jake cave ehire adrianza fernando romero
  • Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#21 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,039 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:04 PM

Cave and Astudillo (I fear) will be spending much of the season in Rochester. Adrianza and the extra bullpen guys will stay. It's just the conservative type of move that seems most likely to me, having watched this team.

#22 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• 6,469 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:13 PM

Positively.

Hopefully!

As with Buxton, I went from expecting production, to accepting any production.

• jokin likes this

Member VP of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club

#23 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:30 PM

It's Cave and then probably Romero.Or some other dude from the pen.

Adrianza is this team's backup SS.He's not going anywhere.(Though he's been pretty bad so far, that's for sure)

#24 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,875 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:41 PM

As an everyday shortstop? I’m pretty sure the entire organization would beg to differ. It will have to be a player that can be better than replacement level defensively at that position.

Adrianza isn't an everyday SS either. That's my point.
I'm not saying an everyday SS is easy to find, they aren't.
I'm saying Adrianza isn't one either. If you lose him and Polanco gets hurt, you plug in a different replacement level SS, and you're no worse than you were with Adrianza.

Adrianza is fine defensively, but let's not pretend he's some irreplaceable wizard out there. He's just solid, with very little bat.
  • beckmt, rghrbek, Vanimal46 and 2 others like this

#25 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,875 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:44 PM

It's Cave and then probably Romero. Or some other dude from the pen.

Adrianza is this team's backup SS. He's not going anywhere. (Though he's been pretty bad so far, that's for sure)

The well run and well managed Astros trusted Marwin enough at SS to put him there 301 times.
Sano coming back will free up Gonzalez to back up SS when needed.
  • Otwins and wabene like this

#26 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• 6,469 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:47 PM

That's what I'm hoping for. He's likely stretched there defensively, but how many days off does Polanco need (sans injury)?

• jokin and wabene like this

#27 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,526 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:54 PM

The well run and well managed Astros trusted Marwin enough at SS to put him there 301 times.

We’ll see. And that’s the point. It will be interesting to see how the Twins look at it. So far, the only person the Twins have put at SS other than Polanco is Adrianza. And that includes games where a hot-hitting Astudillo was available to play 3rd. My guess is the Twins would be willing to give him the random game at SS to spell Polanco...but wouldn’t want to make him an everyday player there if Polanco went down.

Edited by jkcarew, 06 May 2019 - 08:55 PM.

#28 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,875 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:58 PM

We’ll see. And that’s the point. It will be interesting to see how the Twins look at it. So far, the only person the Twins have put at SS other than Polanco is Adrianza. And that includes games where a hot-hitting Astudillo was available to play 3rd. My guess is the Twins would be willing to give him the random game at SS to spell Polanco...but wouldn’t be willing to make him an everyday player there if Polanco went down.

Gonzalez has been the everyday 3B all season. He hasn't really been available to play anywhere else.
If they are that concerned about Marwin's SS defense, they can bring in/up a different solid glove, zero bat SS if Polanco gets hurt.

Perhaps they think Adrianza's bat is still developing. If so, then sure, they'll hang on to him. I don't know how they evaluate him. If not, he's very replaceable. Plenty of capable defenders can OPS .600 for you.
  • Dman and Vanimal46 like this

#29 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,526 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:10 PM

Plenty of capable defenders can OPS .600 for you.

The large majority of those that can do that while playing major league shortstop are already on major league rosters.

Edited by jkcarew, 06 May 2019 - 09:16 PM.

• TheLeviathan likes this

#30 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 624 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:25 PM

Please let it be Adrianza who is sent packing. The number of big hits this year can be counted on one finger. He is like 0-infinity in high leverage situations with RISP. Marwin and Astudillo can back up at 2nd.

#31 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:26 PM

I think Sano has a short leash, however.

The team has not missed either his bat or his defense.

Nope.

More like an intermediate leash.

Sano adds a potential game-changing dimension to this team. Adding even a .265 BA/.870-ish OPS batting line to this already-potent lineup could easily put the Twins over the top heading into post season.

And the fact that the team has done well without him actually BUYS him a LONGER leash to make his adjustments to becoming a regular contributor at the 5-spot in the order and at 3B or DH.

Edited by jokin, 06 May 2019 - 10:18 PM.

• USAFChief, birdwatcher, Blake and 2 others like this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#32 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• 6,469 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:37 PM

Nope.
More like an intermediate leash.
Sano adds a potential game-changing dimension to this team. Adding even a .265 BA/.870-ish batting line to this already-potent lineup could easily put the Twins over the top heading into post season.

And the fact that the team has done well without him actually BUYS him a LONGER leash to make his adjustments to becoming a regular contributor at the 5-spot in the order and at 3B or DH.

Concur, concur, concur.

Sano, playing to his capabilities, adds something to the lineup that they're not going to ever add through any type of in-season acquisition later.

"It's just like making a trade....only better." ©­®­™

• Mike Sixel, James and jokin like this

#33 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:48 PM

Merely because another team did it is not good enough for me to try the same thing.Especially since Marwin had Bregman and Altuve flanking him as opposed to Schoop and Sano.  

I'm sure they will play him there a bit, but Adrianza was a .680 OPS player with a pretty good glove at SS.As hard as it may be to accept, this makes him a valuable player.As in, above average for what most teams have on their bench for SS.

It ain't gonna be him they send packing.At least not until they think Gordon is viable.

• birdwatcher and Mike Sixel like this

#34 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:55 PM

Sano has an option remaining so if goes all 2018 on us... that could be a consideration.

However... right now... I'm personally not thinking that way. I'm reading 5-11 with 2 home runs and 7 RBI's in 4 games, I'm reading that he lost 25 pounds and he will be joining a team that is collectively stroking the ball. 

I think he's going to come up and blow the roof off. 

I've been wrong before.:)

If Sano and Astudillo come back with no one else getting injured for awhile.I can see a roster of:

Castro

Garver

Sano

Astudillo

Schoop

Polanco

Marwin

Rosario

Buxton 

Kepler

Cruz

Not one of those 12 deserve to be on the bench. Baldelli will have platoon options, match up options, hot/cold options. I can't wait! 

Who would be your #13- and would deserve to be on the bench in a mainly PH match-up or defensive role? At the rate the Twins SPs are performing, especially as they begin to play the bulk of their games in the weak "Classic Lake" division, that 13th pitcher should be unnecessary, or at least on the Roc shuttle (so far, most of the options called up are equally mediocre-to-bad, anyway).

Adrianza?

Gordon?

Cave?

Austin? (just kidding)

Valdespin? LHbat/ MI/.871 OPS in AAA

• railmarshalljon likes this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#35 MikeW

MikeW

Elizabethton Twins

• 46 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:05 PM

Sano really hasn’t had a spring training this season, so I suspect we are weeks away from his return. Perhaps months away given his early form at Pensacola.

Sano had a three-run homer over the weekend but has been quiet otherwise. He was 0-5 today with 2 strikeouts. His BA is .091

Still early, he could surprise us but early returns show he needs to improve his timing and approach at the plate yet. Then, once he starts clicking, he will need to catch up at AAA.

I’m suspecting mid-June right now.

#36 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,635 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:23 AM

Hinch said you have nothing to worry about with Gonzalez, and he always starts slow. Also, during a Playoff interview..... he said that Gonzalez was the best short stop on Houston! That's saying something. Trading for prospects? Crazy talk.

• jokin, Dman and wabene like this

#37 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,635 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:31 AM

Sano really hasn’t had a spring training this season, so I suspect we are weeks away from his return. Perhaps months away given his early form at Pensacola.

Sano had a three-run homer over the weekend but has been quiet otherwise. He was 0-5 today with 2 strikeouts. His BA is .091

Still early, he could surprise us but early returns show he needs to improve his timing and approach at the plate yet. Then, once he starts clicking, he will need to catch up at AAA.

I’m suspecting mid-June right now.

He's 5/16 with 2 homers, 2 walks, 6Ks, hitting .313/.400/.688 with an OPS of 1.088 after todays 0-fer. I guess you missed the 4/4 game. I don't know where you are getting your minor league totals from his re-hab stint so far. Maybe you are just considering most recent stop. It is all SSS, but let's be accurate with the totals. 

Sano has been around the Twins org since 2010. It is really time for him to explode and be a star, eh?

Edited by h2oface, 07 May 2019 - 02:38 AM.

• railmarshalljon likes this

#38 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• 698 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 03:14 AM

Astudillo .870 OPS rhb
Castro .848 OPS lhb
Garver 1.106 OPS rhb

Unheard-of production from behind the plate, and have you noted the slight uptick in the rotation since last year? Might have a little bit to do with who's calling the game. Castro is squatting on a surgically repaired knee. Astudillo and Garver inherit the catching duties in 2020, for now.

And who says Astudillo is a poor pinch hitting option? Pinch hitting is about making consistent contact, moving the runners over, and providing OPS.

Adrianza, OPS .470. His switch hitting is a plus, if he can hit and not get struck out by Chris Davis. Watching Marwin fill in at short is not as much of a pending disaster as having Ehire looming at the end of the bench at the end of the game with his bat in his hands.

Cave goes, then Adrianza, of maybe a pitcher. Sano needs one more shot at Winterfell. We want him to grow up and claim the title, Lord of the North.

#39 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 624 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 03:25 AM

When Sano's ready, I am happy to have him on board. And then, let's hope, they send Adrianza packing. He has been a drain for most of the season.

How many times did Adrianza come to the plate with runners in scoring position in the two games he started against los Yanquis? Like four times? How many runners did he plate? "0" 

He must have a (-) WAR, and he's no Ozzie Guillen in the field. I checked his WAR. It's at 0.0. He really is a career utility infielder and there are guys out there who could do they same (even at Rochester) or even slightly better.

#40 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• 1,682 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:48 AM

Adrianza gets a little more leash after slaying Verlander.  Dumping him might wreck the teams MOJO, a difficult to quantify stat but a real thing nonetheless.  Anyway, this will likely solve itself.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miguel sano, marwin gonzalez, jake cave, ehire adrianza, fernando romero