Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Smokers?

mmmmmm.... meat....
  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 joethastud

joethastud

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 64 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 02:51 PM

Doing your own bacon is ridiculously easy and so much better than store bought.  

Buy a skinned pork belly from Costco.I place the belly in a plastic rubbermaid container - because its easier/cleaner than a freezer bag.I use a generic meat tenderizer/cure and make a light film on each side of the belly.Pepper the hell out of it.1 can of Dr. Pepper or Coke.Put in the refrigerator for 3 days.Flip.Let sit for 3 more days.Wash before smoking - must do this!!!Smoke.You'll never buy bacon again.

• glunn likes this

#22 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• 2,708 posts
  • LocationSilver Bay, Minnesota

Posted 19 July 2019 - 03:02 PM

I smoke.

he gone!

#23 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 05:36 PM

Smoked my first meat today. Pig butt. I am going to pull it shortly....

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#24 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• 3,869 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:17 PM

Nice! I've enjoyed my traeger all summer. Even have smoked salmon a few times successfully.
  • Mike Sixel likes this
Do or do not. There is no try.

#25 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:21 PM

I'm interested in jerky and bacon.....

#26 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• 3,869 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:52 PM

I don't think I can do jerky on the traeger... too low temps required. Bacon on the other hand... I'm also interested in. Funny, the price of pork belly is no cheaper per pound than sliced bacon.

#27 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:42 PM

https://www.traegerg...ered-beef-jerky

#28 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:51 PM

I've now smoked three things.

Pig butt....silky soft meat. Not much smoke. I'll do it on a lower temp next time. Awesome meat though.

Chicken thighs and the biggest breasts ever. Smoke flavor, but I'm not certain it's worth the time and effort yet....

Just did burgers. Great smoke, and nice soft meat. I'll do this again for sure .... But I need a plan for finishing them, as my smoker did not want to get hot enough to sear them. I put them on a fajita pan on the stove, then back on the traeger to melt the cheese....
  • glunn likes this

#29 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,567 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:10 PM

Don't smoke veggies no matter what anyone tells you.

I tend to smoke with the lightest woods (usually fruit) because I don't like the bitterness of some other woods.

Veggies are awful when smoked. 

And I've never had a good smoked chicken. It's just not a thing IMO. Smoking is about low and slow, burning out the fat slowly and working through the tendons/whatever. Chicken doesn't really have any of that stuff and you can just cook it normally and be done.

As for secondary, I often have a hot grill next to my smoker to finish off whatever I need done. It's kind of ridiculous but also quite fun to have two burning hot things going at the same time for very different reasons.

• glunn likes this

#30 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,800 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:52 AM

Don't smoke veggies no matter what anyone tells you.

I tend to smoke with the lightest woods (usually fruit) because I don't like the bitterness of some other woods.

Veggies are awful when smoked. 

And I've never had a good smoked chicken. It's just not a thing IMO. Smoking is about low and slow, burning out the fat slowly and working through the tendons/whatever. Chicken doesn't really have any of that stuff and you can just cook it normally and be done.

As for secondary, I often have a hot grill next to my smoker to finish off whatever I need done. It's kind of ridiculous but also quite fun to have two burning hot things going at the same time for very different reasons.

Wow. I think a whole chicken is just about the best thing to come out of a smoker. 

To each his own, I guess.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#31 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 15,072 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:38 AM

I've got a cheap starter smoker... side box and what not... done plenty of meat with it... favorite is bacon wrapped pork tenderloin stuffed with cheese...

• glunn likes this

#32 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,567 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:47 AM

Wow. I think a whole chicken is just about the best thing to come out of a smoker.

To each his own, I guess.

I must be doing it wrong. I’ve tried a few times and while I can smoke beef and pork like a fiend, chicken just never seems quite right to me.

Any suggestions?
  • glunn likes this

#33 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:09 PM

I'm wondering about pork......is it really better to smoke than to just use a slow cooker or pressure cooker? It's not like you get a TON of smoke into all the meat.....when you do a 5-8 pound shoulder/butt.

#34 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• 3,869 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:25 PM

I must be doing it wrong. I’ve tried a few times and while I can smoke beef and pork like a fiend, chicken just never seems quite right to me.

Any suggestions?

Brine it first. I've loved chicken in the smoker. Even when I do regular grilled chicken I let it smoke for an hour or so (Traegers are awesome).

I'm doing another brisket today. WinCo had brisket section for sale, couldn't pass it up. For me, the traeger is great because I can set it and forget it. Pork butt is amazing on the smoker. No need for BBQ sauce because the flavor is so good.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#35 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,800 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 18 October 2019 - 04:05 PM

Any suggestions?

I take a whole chicken, rinse and drain, add crushed garlic under the skin all around, put some "Suzie Q's Original" on the skin (I think it's just a salt/pepper/garlic/parsley mix), throw some chopped onion and celery in the cavity, tie it up, and smoke (apple wood) until the thigh registers 170. Let it sit covered for 15-20 minutes. Cut it up and enjoy. A 5 lb chicken takes around 3 hrs or so at 250 degrees.

Mrs Chief adds some of her juiced up mashed potatoes, and some candied carrots.

It's just about Mrs Chief and I's favorite meal. And a whole chicken can usually be found (here at least) for around $5. Makes great chicken salad and/or chicken sandwiches with leftovers, too.

• glunn and Mike Sixel like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#36 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 15,072 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:08 AM

it's hard to top left over smoked poultry... I've done some turkey from time to time... I prerfer the old fashioned way for the initial meal, but left over smoked turkey destroys left over baked turkey...

• glunn likes this

#37 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• 9,674 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 01 November 2019 - 10:22 PM

No one has mentioned duck. In the old days duck was my favorite thing to smoke, using an old school smokey mountain smoker. Duck has a lot of fat and the smoker keeps it tender.

• Mike Sixel and Badsmerf like this

#38 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 15,072 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:12 PM

Any suggestions?

I haven't done chicken, but I've done turkey a couple times... I'll say this, left over smoked turkey is significantly better than baked turkey... Still probably prefer regular turkey and stuffing on thanksgiving, but if you want leftovers, the smoker is a requirement. 

• glunn likes this

#39 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:33 PM

Smoked spare and baby back ribs today. Yummy.
  • glunn likes this