Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Smokers?

mmmmmm.... meat....
  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 FlauerPauer

FlauerPauer

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,486 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:08 PM

Any other smokers out here? Recently purchased a Masterbuilt M30 propane smoker and have been loving it! Made a whole bunch of different stuff already.

Anyone have any recipes, techniques, stories to share?

• glunn likes this

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,912 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:32 PM

I picked up an offset smoker a couple of years ago. Mostly I do brisket using apple or cherry. I find mesquite and hickory too much in an offset with a brisket.

It’s a chore but quite fun if you literally have nothing to do on a weekend day and don’t mind waking at 5am to serve a meal at 7pm.
  • FlauerPauer likes this

#3 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,740 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:33 PM

I picked up an offset smoker a couple of years ago. Mostly I do brisket using apple or cherry. I find mesquite and hickory too much in an offset with a brisket.

It’s a chore but quite fun if you literally have nothing to do on a weekend day and don’t mind waking at 5am to serve a meal at 7pm.

Thank you for your service.

• glunn and FlauerPauer like this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#4 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,912 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:35 PM

Thank you for your service.

I’m slightly aroused right now.

Er... I mean, “thank you”.
  • FlauerPauer likes this

#5 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,740 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:48 AM

I’m slightly aroused right now.

Er... I mean, “thank you”.

Law of unintended consequences in play, apparently.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... "you're welcome."

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#6 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,771 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 09:48 AM

If I ever make money again, a smoker is on the top of the list. But I'm too lazy to do the work Brock does. I'm sure I'll go a pellet feeder of some kind.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#7 FlauerPauer

FlauerPauer

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,486 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 05 May 2019 - 09:53 AM

So far my favorite to make has been Baby Back's and Pork Tenderloins. Came out perfect and doesn't take 12 hours to make lol

For all the effort that goes into making these delicious dinners, it is definitely worth it.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#8 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,771 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:01 AM

I plan to smoke ribs, cheese, steak, and brisket.....

#9 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,912 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:50 AM

If I ever make money again, a smoker is on the top of the list. But I'm too lazy to do the work Brock does. I'm sure I'll go a pellet feeder of some kind.

It's not quite as bad as it sounds. The morning is intense (both in the start time and necessary maintenance) but once you get around 3-3.5 hours of a brisket, there is absolutely zero reason for it to stay in a smoker. The smoke has penetrated the bark and the smoker's work is done.

Take that sucker out of the smoker, put it in the oven for the rest of the day, and go do something else.

And most other smoked food takes waaaaayyyyyy less time than a brisket, maybe 3-ish hours tops.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#10 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,771 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:53 AM

It's not quite as bad as it sounds. The morning is intense (both in the start time and necessary maintenance) but once you get around 3-3.5 hours of a brisket, there is absolutely zero reason for it to stay in a smoker. The smoke has penetrated the bark and the smoker's work is done.

Take that sucker out of the smoker, put it in the oven for the rest of the day, and go do something else.

And most other smoked food takes waaaaayyyyyy less time than a brisket, maybe 3-ish hours tops.

what if I don't want to turn on my oven in the summer, it's hot here, alas. Stupid climate change has really altered the summers here.

#11 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,949 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:54 AM

I plan to smoke ribs, cheese, steak, and brisket.....

When should we come over for the feast?

#12 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,771 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:58 AM

When should we come over for the feast?

Anyone can come to Portland and eat and drink any time they want, other than next week. My mom will be here, and the house isn't totally done. Sorry if that ruins your plans....... :)

• glunn and Vanimal46 like this

#13 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,347 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:52 PM

save yourself a lot of money and trouble, and buy a cheap, digital electric smoker (upright). Use wood chips. 

Nobody will ever know you didn't go to all the trouble of having an actual fire, and you can set the temp once, and it stays there all by itself forever.

And the easiest thing to do: buy a whole chicken for 5 or 6 bucks, smoke it, and enjoy the rewards. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#14 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,771 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:37 PM

My wife's brother gave "us" a small Traeger (I think the tailgater) for her birthday. He started a grill cleaning business, and one of his clients didn't want it anymore. It's his second ridiculously good deal (the other was a much fancier grill/smoker that he offered me for a good price, if I was making money......but now he's keeping).

I think step one should be to replace the three step heat controller with a new dial version, for better heat control. 

I'm open for recipe or other suggestions!

thanks,

#15 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• 3,739 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 11:20 PM

I picked up a second hand traeger last month. I really like it. Plan to brisket this week. Did ribs last weekend. The smoke really increases the intensity of the seasonings.
  • Mike Sixel likes this
Do or do not. There is no try.

#16 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,772 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 11:50 AM

I love experimenting with making various rubs and sauces, always a different style to try. Brining is essential imo. It takes a some more lead time prep but well worth it in the end product, particularly poultry and brisket. 

• glunn likes this

#17 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• 3,739 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:17 PM

I love experimenting with making various rubs and sauces, always a different style to try. Brining is essential imo. It takes a some more lead time prep but well worth it in the end product, particularly poultry and brisket.

What do you use for brisket? I plan to do a dry rub off mostly salt and pepper; let it sit over night and smoke tomorrow. I only have a 7lb flat, so the cook time shouldn't be too bad.

#18 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,772 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:17 PM

What do you use for brisket? I plan to do a dry rub off mostly salt and pepper; let it sit over night and smoke tomorrow. I only have a 7lb flat, so the cook time shouldn't be too bad.

I personally prefer sweet with brisket, brown sugar, salt,mild chili powder and paprika. You have to be a bit careful using mostly salt based rubs if you are coating overnight, they can tend to make the meat a bit jerky like. A lot of salt based rubs can be applied just before smoking to keep the meat from drying to much. Brining is a better solution for overnight, then put your rub on just before.
  • glunn likes this

#19 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• 3,739 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:16 PM

I personally prefer sweet with brisket, brown sugar, salt,mild chili powder and paprika. You have to be a bit careful using mostly salt based rubs if you are coating overnight, they can tend to make the meat a bit jerky like. A lot of salt based rubs can be applied just before smoking to keep the meat from drying to much. Brining is a better solution for overnight, then put your rub on just before.

Well saw this a little late... Plan to have my run on for about 13 hours before putting on the grill. Wrapped it in plastic wrap so it shouldn't dry out over night. Plan to put it on for about 4 hours, check temp, wrap it in paper and foil until done. Temp will be 225. Using hickory.

#20 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,772 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 12:28 PM

Well saw this a little late... Plan to have my run on for about 13 hours before putting on the grill. Wrapped it in plastic wrap so it shouldn't dry out over night. Plan to put it on for about 4 hours, check temp, wrap it in paper and foil until done. Temp will be 225. Using hickory.

I'm sure it will be great. Good luck, enjoy.