Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 7, NYY 3: Curse This

jake odorizzi mitch garver nelson cruz c.j. cron taylor rogers
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 06:00 AM

Best part of game, seeing Garver's lazy fly ball to RF go into the stands.

Aaron Judge does that all the time, and it's nauseating.

Of course, Judge would have likely caught Garver's fly if he were out there.

• denarded and KFEY93 like this

#22 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,519 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:54 AM

There certainly is room for more pitching. Not factoring in injuries, the bottom half (less leverage) of the bully has been poor, the top half is OK, but besides Rogers, there isn't a guy I feel comfortable with pitching in high leverage situations. Aright handed complement to Rogers would leave lower leverage situations for Parker, May and Hildy. 

As far as the rotation, Perez has been outstanding, Pineda pretty poor and Gibson's numbers are not good. There is room for better in the rotation and there isn't a season without pitchers missing significant time with injuries, so the club should have a plan when a guy or two go down. From what I've seen of reports from Rochester, there isn't much help there.

• USAFChief and 70charger like this

#23 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 08:03 AM

Odorizzi getting through 6 more this year is a really wonderful result. Takes a lot of pressure off the bullpen, takes some of the pressure off the starters going before or after him in the rotation and just improves the team. He's landed 3 starts with a Game Score over 70 already this year; last year he only hit that mark 4 times for the entire season. Would like him to bring the BBs down a little, but I'm very happy with how he's missing bats. Great start again, he's pitching with confidence.

Marwin looks like he's starting to come around at the plate; combined with his wonderful defense I think he's going to be a terrific asset this season even with the ice-cold start.

I'd say Schoop was smart to bet on himself, eh? If he hits like this the rest of the year, 2017 doesn't look like a fluke year any longer, but more like a pattern and he'll get paid at 28 with a very nice deal.

Cant say enough good things about Garver. He's seizing the opportunity with both hands.

• blindeke likes this

#24 scottz

scottz

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 08:29 AM

With the way Barrios, Odorizia and Perez have pitched we may not need to add pitching.

I think you mean Parez.
  • h2oface and RaymondLuxuryYacht like this

#25 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 10,215 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 09:21 AM

Garver’s first at bat leading off the game, was: strike one, strike two, strike three, looking looking looking.

Seemed like it would be another one of “those games”

#26 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:12 AM

Odorizzi just shut out Astros and the Yankees. I worry less about having an ace for possible playoffs cuz I know there are guys capable of pitching like aces at any given time and aces that can get rocked at any given time. I would rather have an ace but how can you currently classify Odorizzi's last two weeks as anyting but ace like?

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jake odorizzi, mitch garver, nelson cruz, c.j. cron, taylor rogers