Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Mejia to DL; Mike Morin Selected

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

Official Bat Boy

• 2,970 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:46 AM

40 man roster is now full. I would think Mejia will take the 10 days at a minimum, and then need the full 30 days of rehab. Pretty "bad" timing for an injury like this:cool:

PS: I wish nothing but the best for Mejia, and hope that the injury isn't serious. He wants to succeed far more than any of us want him to succeed. 

• glunn and nicksaviking like this

Career Game Thread Record: 18-6

Safe to say I am the key to the Twins' success 

#2 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,386 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:49 AM

Another guy with less credentials than Jake Reed getting an opportunity.

Yes, I am aware that Morin has MLB experience and Reed does not. That’s only because this organization inexplicably did not give him one in a lost season in 2018 or frankly 2016.
  • Danchat and Original Whizzinator like this

#3 Heinie Manush

Heinie Manush

• 21 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:10 AM

I figured that Adelberto would turn up "injured".After 10 days he gets 20 days to pitch in the minors to show that he can adapt to the relief role. Buying time is all.Not a bad strategy.

Edited by Heinie Manush, 02 May 2019 - 10:10 AM.

• howieramone2 likes this

#4 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,682 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:27 AM

Yes, I am aware that Morin has MLB experience and Reed does not. That’s only because this organization inexplicably did not give him one in a lost season in 2018 or frankly 2016.

That's hardly the only reason. I believe we our the 4th team that feels Morin can pitch in The Show. No team has ever expressed any interest in Reed.

#5 luckylager

luckylager

• 380 posts
  • LocationStuck in the middle

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:30 AM

What do you see as "less credentials"? Both players seem pretty equal as far as minor league experience and results. 

#6 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,071 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:31 AM

That's hardly the only reason. I believe we our the 4th team that feels Morin can pitch in The Show. No team has ever expressed any interest in Reed.

Haven't three of those four changed their opinion?

• Mike Sixel, nicksaviking, jokin and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#7 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 957 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:32 AM

I wonder if Wes and Co. worked with Morin to get some uptick on his fastball velo .... He's supposed to have a plus-plus change-up

• nicksaviking and TNTwinsFan like this

#8 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,281 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:40 AM

Man, the minors must have been truly barren of RPs when this FO took over. They really like other options over and over.

• jokin likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#9 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,386 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:42 AM

What do you see as "less credentials"? Both players seem pretty equal as far as minor league experience and results.

Reed has a better hit rate, K rate and a better HR rate at the AAA level. The only area that Morin is better is BB rate. While that is important, Reed’s WHIP is still lower at AAA than Morin’s. I guess I’d rather have the guy who has shown he can miss bats and keeps the ball in the park when he doesn’t.

Reed has more than earned a shot. Morin has had several. He hasn’t delivered.

Edited by yarnivek1972, 02 May 2019 - 10:43 AM.

• luckylager, Mike Sixel, Danchat and 1 other like this

#10 TNTwinsFan

TNTwinsFan

• 358 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:42 AM

I wonder if Wes and Co. worked with Morin to get some uptick on his fastball velo .... He's supposed to have a plus-plus change-up

If he sits 92-94 with his FB, that Change Up is filthy!
  • howieramone2 likes this

#11 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,734 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:50 AM

Maybe, I wasn't too interested in seeing him and I was going to criticize the promotion, but I guess a plus changeup would set himself apart from the rest of the bullpen. It used to be a bread and butter pitch of the entire organization, but currently the only reliever on the 25 man throwing one regularly is Hildenberger.

If the bullpen isn't going to be all lights out fireballers and killer sliders, I guess I'd like it to be as diverse as possible to give the other teams different looks. Still, I'd rather see Reed, Eades or my guy Cody Stashak.

#12 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• 4,945 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:24 AM

I wonder how long Bert has been injured and it took this long for it to be identified...

#13 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,446 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 01:26 PM

Reed has a better hit rate, K rate and a better HR rate at the AAA level. The only area that Morin is better is BB rate. While that is important, Reed’s WHIP is still lower at AAA than Morin’s. I guess I’d rather have the guy who has shown he can miss bats and keeps the ball in the park when he doesn’t.

Reed has more than earned a shot. Morin has had several. He hasn’t delivered.

Seems like it would have helpful to include the context that Morin has pitched in the PCL. 

• USAFChief, gil4 and 70charger like this

#14 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,386 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 01:37 PM

Seems like it would have helpful to include the context that Morin has pitched in the PCL.

Which affects K rate not at all. Sure, HR rate. But Reed has allowed 4 HR in 100 AAA IP. Once every 25 IP. Morin has allowed 15 in 140 IP. Once every 9 IP. The PCL doesn’t account for THAT big of a disparity.
  • h2oface and Original Whizzinator like this

#15 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,485 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 02 May 2019 - 01:51 PM

Good move. The Dodgers use the IL very effectively to recyle pitcers with no options........... I am glad to see the Twins tap in......

• jokin and FlauerPauer like this

#16 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,485 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 02 May 2019 - 01:52 PM

About a month away from Kimbrel available with no draft pick compensation.

#17 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,734 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 01:56 PM

About a month away from Kimbrel available with no draft pick compensation.

Yeah it will be amusing when magically 10 teams find themselves in need of his services.

Problem for me is that I might think he'll only get or maybe even want a one year deal and I've lost confidence in pitchers joining a club this late; I'd only want him on a multi year deal as I wouldn't expect him to be very good in 2019.

• Mike Sixel and howieramone2 like this

#18 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,485 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 02 May 2019 - 04:57 PM

Yeah it will be amusing when magically 10 teams find themselves in need of his services.

Problem for me is that I might think he'll only get or maybe even want a one year deal and I've lost confidence in pitchers joining a club this late; I'd only want him on a multi year deal as I wouldn't expect him to be very good in 2019.

One year with option for me. Put Kimbrel certainly has other ideas. Kimbrel looked horrible in the World Series and most of the playoffs. Things can turn quick. Of course, the bidding could ramp up quickly with the draft compensation gone. The worm seems to have turned for the long term top relievers. They would be smart to bet on themselves, and go with 1 to 3 years at a high average annual salary. Wasting a year by sitting is not productive and his age. I would really like to see him pitch for the Twins, somehow, though.

Edited by h2oface, 02 May 2019 - 04:58 PM.

#19 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,446 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 06:22 PM

Which affects K rate not at all. Sure, HR rate. But Reed has allowed 4 HR in 100 AAA IP. Once every 25 IP. Morin has allowed 15 in 140 IP. Once every 9 IP. The PCL doesn’t account for THAT big of a disparity.

I am glad the Twins aren’t making decisions in those samples. Both the small sample size of any reliever and the disparity of leagues and parks isn’t useful. Also useless but point of fact, since there are more base runners in the PCL the denominator PA for K% will be larger and the resulting K rate will be lower.
  • Sconnie likes this

#20 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,386 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 06:36 PM

I am glad the Twins aren’t making decisions in those samples. Both the small sample size of any reliever and the disparity of leagues and parks isn’t useful. Also useless but point of fact, since there are more base runners in the PCL the denominator PA for K% will be larger and the resulting K rate will be lower.

I have a hard time accepting over 100 IP as a small sample size.