Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Juiced Baseball Update

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 03:55 PM

If that were the case, if a softball had the same weight of a baseball, there would be no impact? When we're talking such small time frames, even a small impact can make quiet a difference.

Not trying to argue, that's an honest question. I understand that it's an exponential force, so that part makes perfect sense. I realize that this example isn't truly apples to apples given we're talking very small change versus relatively larger change.

Also, I think you can both be correct. Ben's talking about impact on the arm and you're referring to the ball in flight. I'd imagine that both are probably correct assessments.

My point is that there is no "impact to the arm" or impact from the arm, for that matter. Hard fastballs and well-hit balls are both initially traveling at close to 100 mph on the horizontal vector. So, once the ball is off the hand or off the bat, nothing matters except the 'coefficient of friction' (physics term for 'drag'). The ball is decelerating the instant the ball leaves the hand just as it is decelerating the instance it leaves the bat. And that rate of deceleration is determined entirely by the 'drag' inherent in the ball design plus other factors like net wind, barometric pressure (altitude), and humidity. All of those factors have an exponential impact on the velocity of the ball over time. A pitch that leaves a pitchers hand going 95 mph, is still going (close to) 95 when it crosses the plate less than one-half second later. A change in the 'coefficient of friction' of the baseball isn't going to have much impact...negligible. A guess: probably significantly less than an inch if you wanted to think of it in terms of position of the baseball at the same point in time after release.

Another way of looking at the difference in impact the new ball would have on hitting vs pitching....

How often do you hear hitters complain about hitting into the wind, vs pitcher complaining about pitching into the wind? (even at lower levels before huge wind-altering grandstands come into play, etc.) Think of the 'new' baseball as having a built-in steady 10 MPH wind at it's back no matter to which field it is hit. That's going to materially lengthen distance traveled on balls hit at a decent launch angle. Meanwhile, a 10 mph wind at a pitchers back, or into his face...either way...is not going to have a material impact on the velocity of the pitch as it crosses home plate...it's so negligible, you never hear it discussed.

edit: there are other non-velocity impacts that the new ball could have on pitching. I think some of these have been reported and/or mention in posts here: harder time gripping the ball, more walks/pitches, harder time spinning the ball and/or getting it to break, etc., etc.

Edited by jkcarew, 09 July 2019 - 04:31 PM.

• Sconnie likes this

#42 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:01 PM

You know what I mean. Banned=illegal. Just because EPO is legal to buy over the counter in Kenya doesn't mean it's legal to use for training for the NYC marathon. Whatever is banned by USADA or WADA is illegal to use in sports. They were using banned substances.  

No, many substances banned by MLB are available at your local GNC, not by going to Kenya. 

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#43 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 23,054 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:06 PM

No, many substances banned by MLB are available at your local GNC, not by going to Kenya. 

Let's table the PED/juiced player talk as this is not the topic of this thread.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable.